PDA

View Full Version : Such a thing as too many brittlestars?

Frozenocean
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Quick question....Is there anything wrong with too many brittlestars in a tank?......I have quite a few small brittlestars that come out at night and when I turn the pumps off for feeding....they seem to be in every nock and cranny in the tank....& always pulling them off of pumps, out of filters etc.

I'm thinking that they aren't doing any harm and they aren't roaming around everywhere......biggest one if seen is probably 5cm from tip to tip....mostly little guys about 2cm across....

Thanks,

Aquattro
06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I never worry about them, and for me, more is better. They'll clean detritus from your rock and keep the pores clean, allowing better filtration.

Frozenocean
06-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks....that was my initial thought.....interesting to watch them at night......arms waving

Madreefer
06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I had the same problem. They would get on the shaft of my float valve and cause my ATO to stay on and just about over filled my sump. So I picked up a harlequin shrimp to thin them out. Some people have said that they wont eat them but I think he's helping a bit as I don't really as many as before.

Frozenocean
06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks....I may try it if they become more than a nusiance.....they seem to get to the oddest places....

Madreefer
06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Just so you know a harlequin shrimp will eat most seastars. I still buy sand sifting seastars and freeze them to feed small chunks to the harlequin. Really cool critter, one of my fav's in my tank.

Frozenocean
06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks......good info to know