View Full Version : fluval edge refugium help!

06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
hi, i have a fluval edge, i dont want to drill it and there sint a hang on overflow that fits it, has anyone thought of any ideas or methods of getting water from the tank down to a regugium/sump and then back up to the main tank.....without throwing a massive pump in the display tank

06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
2 of these might help.

might help flood your place too.

Id even consider drilling a small hold in the back of the plastic ring of the tank.
putting a perfect size hose in there, then using the uplift to bring in water.

06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
the aqualifter is useless as a return pump. Don't bother.

06-22-2010, 12:41 AM
the aqualifter is useless as a return pump. Don't bother.
its a 6 gallon tank.

06-22-2010, 12:42 AM
thats 50% turnover.

06-22-2010, 04:14 AM
I ran a 5 gallon nano for a while, I thought the flow from an aquaclear mini was barely adequte.
Sure the aqualifter will move water (although not sure how much it can move vertically) but from what I've used it for (Top off and CPR overflow siphon) it's not adequte for use as a return pump.
Plus it has a tendancy to clog so I wouldn't use it as a return pump if you intend for organisms to be pumped back up into the tank.

06-22-2010, 04:27 AM
I have 22 2.5 gallon tanks i breed pods in and at least 10 5 gallon tanks.
I spend all the time thinking of ways to make water changes easier.

I have had the fluval edge and drilled the back for a fuge for my 180
Other then drilling the tank or creating your own overflow, the amount of water you put into the tank also has to return to the main supply.
Since you cannot drill or wont, and you dont want a big pump.
Sure the 3 gallon per hour is slow, but what do u want.
Even a maxi jet 100 puts out too much flow for the amount of plastic you can drill into.

If you could get a half inch on there and i know you cant, you would still overflow your fuge.
If you want to drill it with a 3/4 inch bulkhead i can say for certain a maxijet 600 works.
see my old fluval with drilled back.