PDA

View Full Version : Building a Canopy - Questions

DiscusZ
11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
I intend to build a canopy for my 77g tank.. whats the minimum height that the lights should be above the water? 6" 12"?

My lights are PC 55watt x 2 bulbs with plans for another 2 bulbs being added soon.

Thanks.

Jim

Stretch
11-11-2003, 10:37 PM
For PC lights the closer the better, get as close as possible. For Metal Halide it recommend between 6-12 inches, Mine are at 7.5 inches

discusfever
11-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey Jim,

The last canopy I made... It was 5 inches above the water. I think you can even go lower, as long as you have caps protected from water.

Just wondering.. where did u get ur pcompact lighting??

robbyville
11-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Same as the others,

When I used only pc's they were right on top of the tank. But if you're going to the trouble of building a nice canopy and intend to add Halides later then I would suggest building for them now, and simply mounting the pc's lower down!

I'm really happy with my canopy now that it's built. There are some nice designs out there.

Best,

Rob

DiscusZ
11-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Ya eventually I want to go Halide but right now I can not do it.. I will add another PC 2x65 watt to my existing 2x55 watt setup that I have now and should provide alot of light to have me experiment with a few frags in the coming months.

Jim

Check out www.hribnak.com/reef.html