PDA

View Full Version : How much dead rock per gallon? Lighting for cycle?

SeaSerpant
06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a 120g aquarium that i'm going to put 5 bags of sand (30lbs each) and seed it with live sand. I'm going to use dead rock with a bit of live rock instead of all live rock because i can't afford that much!

So here are my questions, How much dead rock per gallon? because i heard that when dead rock becomes live it weighs more than when it was dry.

And do i need lots of lighting for the cycle? because i don't plan to get the light until a bit later. but still plan to have some light over the tank!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

naesco
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a 120g aquarium that i'm going to put 5 bags of sand (30lbs each) and seed it with live sand. I'm going to use dead rock with a bit of live rock instead of all live rock because i can't afford that much!

So here are my questions, How much dead rock per gallon? because i heard that when dead rock becomes live it weighs more than when it was dry.

And do i need lots of lighting for the cycle? because i don't plan to get the light until a bit later. but still plan to have some light over the tank!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Use no more than 100 lbs in total. That way when later on you come across an outstanding live rock piece you have room to add it.

When you buy the live rock fill in, be really fussy and make sure it is flourishing with stuff growing on it rather than a live rock that has been sitting on a dock for days in the sun. Choose small pieces (even rubble) and distribute it throughout the dead rock. After a week or so when you see live stuff spurting out the live rock add some phytoplankton to jump start the small inverts that are coming out of dormancy. Add a dead shrimp to start the cycle.

I prefer lighting the tank to get the macroalgae growing. It will also get hair algae going but that fight will come later in any event.

Have patience! BTW I just started a 120 and 2.5 inches with 3 bags of sand so 5 bags might be too much.

SeaSerpant
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much.
I plan to get the lighting but just a week or 2 in! Thanks for the advice on the sand, i'd like a deep sand bed but not too deep! So 4 bags!

Thanks Again
SeaSerpant