PDA

View Full Version : worms

bignose
06-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I have these orange/brown worms in my tank. They are small and live in groups but they are everywhere in the rocks and sand. From what I've observed they cause no harm to anything in fact my tank is very clean, they seem to grab anything that hits the rock/sand to eat. I think they are spaghetti worms but I'm just guessing.

I don't mind them because they clean my tank but my GF hates the look of them. What are they? Are these worms bad? Should I have a fish to keep their populations in control? If so what fish would I need?

Sorry about all the questions just need to nip this problem in the butt before it gets out of control.

bignose
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Some pictures.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/jasoncompton1/IMGP1462.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/jasoncompton1/IMGP1461.jpg

4lti7ude
06-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I have tons of those also.
From what I hear thats a good thing to have them as they will clean up the leftovers of messy eaters or whatever they can pull on in to eat.

Does anyone know what happens to these worms when you have a sandsifting goby?? Will they all be eaten?

marie
06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
They are a type of spaghetti worm and one of the keys to a healthy, long lived sand bed.

Sand sifting gobys will eat them....

4lti7ude
06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
They are a type of spaghetti worm and one of the keys to a healthy, long lived sand bed.

Sand sifting gobys will eat them....

Hmmm if Sand Sifting Gobies will eat them, in a smaller tank system is it better to have the worms or the gobies?

(Sorry to hijack the thread OP)

bignose
06-20-2010, 11:34 PM
My GF will have to put up with them because I like how clean they keep everything.

No prob 4lti7ude I hope this helps you as much as me.

marie
06-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Hmmm if Sand Sifting Gobies will eat them, in a smaller tank system is it better to have the worms or the gobies?

(Sorry to hijack the thread OP)

My personal opinion (I'm pro sandbed :biggrin:) is to keep all sandsifters out of the system and even hold off on any crabs, shrimp and stuff until the sand bed is well established (6-12 months)

4lti7ude
06-21-2010, 02:00 AM
My personal opinion (I'm pro sandbed :biggrin:) is to keep all sandsifters out of the system and even hold off on any crabs, shrimp and stuff until the sand bed is well established (6-12 months)

Whoa. Thats a long time to wait hahahah.
Well so far I dont have any sand sifters and just one dwarf hermit who eats the random algea off the sand sometimes.

When your sand bed is fully established and you get a Sand sifting goby then what happens to all your worms? If they eat them all then whats the point of a sand sifting goby? (Ive been looking for a Two Spot Goby for my tank if there any specifics on this kind of Goby)