PDA

View Full Version : Here is my plan...

Aquattro
05-09-2002, 10:47 PM
As some of you know, I've been trying to eradicate a pesky tomato clown from my tank. He's gone a long time without food now as I'm feeding from the net. All my other fish eat from the net, except for a solar wrasse, which I can hand feed. Suffice it to say, the net trick isn't working.
Plan "B". Quickly drain the entire tank down to sand and dismantle whatever I need to in order to stick a fork in the little monster. Rebuild and fill tank back up quickly. Now, if anybody can think of why I shouldn't do this, please speak up!! Thanks!

P.S. I'm not really going to use a fork (I don't think)

StirCrazy
05-09-2002, 11:18 PM
there might be another way.. if you take a mag drive 24, and put a hose on the suction end that you can move around and have the discharge going back to the tank you might be able to suck him out of the tank :D :D something like a binford gravel cleaner ;)

Steve

CHEAPREEF
05-09-2002, 11:50 PM
And if he makes it all the way through the mag you wont have to feed your fish for a few days. tongue.gif

Clinton

Troy F
05-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Brad, I tore down half the rock work in my 72gal and divided the tank with a sheet of plexi to get out a dwarf angel. It was a lot of work but it did work.

Good luck.

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 12:24 AM
I like the gravel vac idea the best. I'm hoping he will follow the water and therefore I'll create a depression at the front of the tank. I'll keep doing the net thing until Sunday....if it doesn't get him, Sunday is "Plan B".

One_Divided
05-10-2002, 02:24 AM
Shane was saying when he had to catch fish, he added dividers untill the fish was at the end of the tank.. if u could to that, you could move minimal rock and pull it off without any risks..

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 02:27 AM
I'm hoping to get him to the front of the tank when I drain it. That way I wan't have to move any rock. There are a lot of little passageways in there, so if he goes to the back, I'll get the little one in there to grab him :-)

Silverfish
05-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Just look at it as one big water change!!

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 03:11 AM
Exactly!! And I need your help!! :D

Dez
05-10-2002, 12:36 PM
A month ago I caught all of the fish in my tank without moving a sinble piece of rock. I have this little poker that I made with rigid airline tubing. I came downstairs to the tank that 3am when they were sleeping. And I used the poker to sort of herd them into the net. It took me all of 10 minutes to catch 7 fish. Another way is to get a whole buch of grocery bags and stuff all the holes in your rockwork so that the clown has no where to go. Good luck..

desmond

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Dez, I've tried the 3 AM trick and this guy just doesn't sleep. He was as active and alert as ever.
Stuffing the holes is not an option. The rockwork was designed to be a maze of caves.
Hopefully he is hungry enough to go in th enet before Sunday. Although I've been doing the net thing for weeks!

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by One_Divided:
I cuaght my tank raised perc with my hand last night. tongue.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hate you....

djbravoleader
05-10-2002, 06:34 PM
If you have no other choice in catching him you could always "go fishing" please be careful not to hurt him and make sure it's a small hook. Just a thought. Give him good foods and a kiss afterwards to make up for having to hook him. smile.gif

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 07:02 PM
Already tried the hook trick; didn't work. But thanks!!

DJ88
05-10-2002, 07:07 PM
You do know this fish is messing with you. :D And doing a good job of it by the way your posts are going.

I'd say tear it down. If it has beaten you so far it's time to show it who is boss. :D

[ 10 May 2002, 15:07: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

BCReefer
05-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Show him a fish stick and tell him that is what he is going to be if he doesn’t behave himself.

Aquattro
05-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by BCReefer:
Show him a fish stick and tell him that is what he is going to be if he doesn’t behave himself.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You might think that's funny, but I did that the other night!!! Still didn't work!

Darren, I keep trying to stare him down and intimidate him, but ya, he's messin' with me!! Tear down getting closer...

reefburnaby
05-10-2002, 10:32 PM
Hi,

Clowns are omnivours, so they will eat food that you give them AND food in your tank. They can survive on pods and algae in your tank...so starving them won't help much.

One way to lure the little clown is to use/rent an anenome. Obviously it has to be a kind that he is suppose to be compatible with. Bubble tip or a Sebae should be fine.

Also, you might want to consider stop trying to catch him for a while. He may be scared everytime you try to catch him. Try to get him back in to a regular feeding schedule and try to nab him while he is eating.

My clown likes Nori and my Nori is attached to a clip. So, my clown always hangs around the clip when it is feeding time. After a couple of days, my clown is basically "programmed" to come to the clip when it is feeding time. You can try to nab him at that time.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

One_Divided
05-11-2002, 04:11 AM
I cuaght my tank raised perc with my hand last night. tongue.gif

christyf5
05-13-2002, 07:22 PM
WELL????? I'm dying to know!! Did you catch him or what?

Christy smile.gif

Aquattro
05-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by christyf5:
WELL????? I'm dying to know!! Did you catch him or what?

Christy smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">more of a "or what". I slept in Sunday, the clown was being nice to the wrasse, and I forgot to buy tubs to drain the water into....but I'm not done yet !

christyf5
05-14-2002, 01:40 AM
Well thats rather anti climactic. Here I was expecting a story worthy of a pulitzer. :D

Aquattro
05-14-2002, 02:10 AM
Christy, whenthe story breaks, I'll give you exclsive rights for first reading!

christyf5
05-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Oh sweet! tongue.gif