PDA

View Full Version : Roses are red, .....

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Newest aquisition today. More pics after acclimation :razz:

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/rose.jpg

Samw
11-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey, nice. You decided to give an anemone a try in your SPS tank? :biggrin: Where did you get it? Mail order or road trip or LFS?

props
11-11-2003, 07:18 PM
omg nice
where'd you get it ?

AJ_77
11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Wow, nice work Brad! Looks like a good size too. Who'd a-thunk you'd be a 'nem guy? :wink:

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
I got this at the LFS. Special order kinda deal.
Sam, I'm not sure what tank I'll put it in, since I got my 40 frag tank up and running. ALthough it looks like it's enjoying the halides already. I have 2 spots in the display tank that would suit it well, so I might try it there.
Sam, any placement advice from a pro?? :razz:

Samw
11-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Sam, any placement advice from a pro?? :razz:

Good score Brad. Well, to protect your huge investment, place it initially in the lowest flow area you can find. This will give it a chance to get a good strong grip on the rock and not get blown around by strong currents in an SPS tank. The last thing you want is to introduce mr. rose to mr. powerhead. Once its happy in the low current area, it will learn that that is the best spot for it and it won't move. In my tank, my anemones sit directly below my Maxijet 1200 so it doesn't get any of the flow directed at it. It will not move to the higher flow areas of the tank. This is how I keep it from wandering around.

Another idea is to put it in an isolation container (in your tank) with a rock in it so that it can stick to that rock first. Then in a few days or weeks, place the rock into your tank far away from flow and powerheads.

StirCrazy
11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Good score Brad. Well, to protect your huge investment

Haha, thats funny. :mrgreen:

Steve

EmilyB
11-11-2003, 10:21 PM
I'm so envious, it is lovely Brad. :cool:

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm so envious, it is lovely Brad. :cool:

Thanks Em. I'm kinda nervous about whether I can take care of it properly. It seems so fragile compared to my fuzzy sticks. It's in the tank now adjusting to it's spot. Hopefully it stays there and does well. Maybe it will split and we'll all have little roses!! :razz:

Bob I
11-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Any ideas on how us landlocked Calgarians could get some :question: :question: :sad:

Delphinus
11-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Nice catch, Brad! Definitely some jealousy happening over here...

BTA's like to attch to a hard smooth surface, but they like their pedal disk hidden from intense light. So a crevasse, cave, or overhang is usually preferred. Their tentacles will want to be out in the current and out in the light.

I'm not entirely certain I agree about placing an anemone into a low flow area. They like flow, they need flow. Definitely not a powerhead output though, it will move away from that if that's what it's getting. If it has problems attaching to a rock right away then maybe, but if that's the case, you got problems... I have never, never had a healthy anemone not immediately attach to a rock. Not saying if it doesn't attach right away that it can't recover, that's a different story. But if it's healthy, it will glue itself on pretty much right away. And if you get its placement right, it will likely never move except for shifting this way or that slightly. The only times I've noticed mine move more than a half inch have been just immediately prior to a split.

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Bob, maybe I can answer that in a few months.

Tony, I have a lower flow crevice at the bottom of the tank that allows it's disc to be hidden from direct light, while alllowing it's body to be out in the open. It looks like it's attached now, and if attaching is a sign of health, this guy is healthy. It attached inside the bag and was a real pain to get out!! :razz: Took me about 15 minutes and a pair of sissors to release it.

I'll post a pic of "home" in a little bit

Samw
11-11-2003, 11:08 PM
I personally know of an instance where a healthy bta that had attached to a rock during the day getting blown into a powerhead intake during the night and getting chewed up. This is why I would suggest letting the anemone start in a low flow area and then let it go where it wants. There is a lot of turbulence in some of these SPS tanks. Not worth taking a risk. An established anemone would probably have no problems but a newly introduced one is a different case.

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Pics of home. Close up and further back.

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/home1.jpg

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/home2.jpg

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Sam, I'm taking some of your advice and I've turned off the stream and everything other than the return pump. I'm home all day, so I'll make sure rosey doesn't play in the pumps :-)

Samw
11-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Nice, that should be a good spot (I think. although I've said that last time to someone else and it didn't turn out so good). I forsee you moving that cap and surrounding acros shortly. That BTA will expand a lot. :lol:

Aquattro
11-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Sam, most of the pieces on that side of the tank aren't permanently placed yet. I'll wait and see if the bta will stay put, and then work around it.

Delphinus
11-12-2003, 12:28 AM
I personally know of an instance where a healthy bta that had attached to a rock during the day getting blown into a powerhead intake during the night and getting chewed up. This is why I would suggest letting the anemone start in a low flow area and then let it go where it wants. There is a lot of turbulence in some of these SPS tanks. Not worth taking a risk. An established anemone would probably have no problems but a newly introduced one is a different case.

Sam, I think you're mixing two different notions with your advice. Powerhead, pump, stream, etc. inputs are indeed a risk for the obvious reasons.

But that's not the same as saying "put it in an area of low flow." If the flow is inadequate to blow off detritus then you open the door for an opportunistic infection or pathogen, and for a stressed anemone this can be equally fatal as a bad powerhead injury. (Not that I'm saying Brad's is stressed! But just in general, it's fair to expect that usually there is a level of some stress from a newly aquired anemone {how much is going to depend on what it's gone through beforehand}.)

I'm not disputing what you say at all about the powerheads, and sorry if I wasn't clear on this. It's just that, to me, these are not mutually exclusive goals, but depending on how it's phrased it may be suggestive of such.

If you can get the placement right, right from the beginning, then there's no need for the anemone to "find what's right." It's not really magic ... each species has a fairly defined niche on the reef and all we have to do, as captive reef caretakers, is provide for that.

Brad, BTW, the spot yours is in looks really good. Wish you all the best success, and I can't wait to see more captive splits available in the hobby up here in Canuckada...

Samw
11-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi Tony. I understand what you are trying to say. In my tank, the anemones were placed in a low flow area by design. That is not to say no flow. When I suggest to Brad about lowest flow area in his SPS tank, I didn't mean no flow. I assumed by the nature of his SPS tank that his lowest flow area will still have decent water movement. By high flow, I meant an area such as that being pointed by a powerhead. By low flow, I meant an area that is not receiving direct flow from a powerhead and gave the example of my anemones under my the powerhead.

In the case of the other anemone, it was placed on the rock and wasn't directly in the path of the powerhead but still got blown because of the nature of the tank I assume (high flow SPS tank). So even though that anemone was placed in a mid flow location, it still got blown by the currents.

So I think we're only disagreeing on semantics.

spikehs
11-12-2003, 02:00 AM
can i have dibs on the first split :mrgreen: ?

Reef_kid
11-12-2003, 04:15 AM
I was looking at that myself if its the one im thinking of.
I saw it the first day it came in and then it was gone today!! hope it dose well !! I think it looks awsome in your tank!!

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Well, I left it for an hour and it ran away!! It's moved out of it's spot and is hiding under the rocks. Any advice? :rolleyes:

EmilyB
11-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Yes. Leave it be....if you can, make sure even the tiniest inflows are not available if it goes sailing. Just put sponges over all your intakes for now.

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Leave it? How come? I can turn off the one powerhead I'm running, but the stream can't stay off for too ong and I can't cover the inlet. Designed that way!
Should the little sucker come back out on it's own? Too much light too quickly perhaps?
Man, I'm glad acros don't do this! Things would be a mess :razz:

EmilyB
11-12-2003, 05:23 AM
:lol:

Acros are sticks man....these are REAL..hehehe

Cover the intakes somehow. Yes, it is possibly adapting to higher light. Don't worry, it will only take out a few SPS until it settles..... :razz:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Don't worry, it will only take out a few SPS until it settles..... :razz:

I know how much you enjoyed typing that!! :cool: :razz:

EmilyB
11-12-2003, 05:36 AM
I know how much you enjoyed typing that!! :cool: :razz:

http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/cool/img/024.gif

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 05:46 AM
Oh :eek: , so now the real truth comes out on why you rebuilt your reef :razz:

Looks great Brad :cool: , now you must look at the tank every hour of every day and night :mrgreen: it's kinda like having another baby all over again :razz:

I think you should sell me some frags to make room for that baby :exclaim: , as you know it will open twice as large once it's settled in with the lights and all :razz:

PM me regarding any frags or skimmer info :wink: :mrgreen:

Mak
11-12-2003, 05:48 AM
Just to add a little, my BTA braved direct high flow just to get right under my 400w :rolleyes: . I never would have thought he would have made it through that current :eek: ... it only cost me like 8 of my favorite SPS :evil: :rolleyes: . Good luck Brad :wink:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Rich, I did build that side in anticipation of an anemone joining the crew. And yes, I do spend a lot of time looking around. I just found a huge claw (I'm sure with a crab attached to it) poking out of a hole in the rock. I told it to behave or I'd have Bev talk to it!
I'm missing a couple of smaller iverts, like a translucent crinoid snapping shrimp. I hopefully find it one day, as it was a cool little critter.

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 05:53 AM
it only cost me like 8 of my favorite SPS

Will you guys cut it out!! I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight, have to stand guard. I sure would hate to have to flush the little guy!!

Delphinus
11-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Can you create an overhang that can retreat under in case it is a light shock thing? I completely forgot about that aspect, it's quite possible it's wondering how the heck it went from 20' of depth to 3' depth or something like that. :biggrin:

Maybe what you could do is, make some sort of eggcrate contraption box that you can place over the stream, that way the stream can stay on but nothing can get sucked into it?

If it's attached though I don't think it will come undone (so long as the foot isn't injured). I've had two "powerhead incidents" with BTAs over the years. In both cases the foot never detached from the rock, they just literally expanded into it (crazy anemones growing from 4" to 8" in short order, making a powerhead 6" away only 2" away). In one case the anemone had enough strength to pull away on its own, and pulled back hard enough to actually pull the strainer off the powerhead (while the powerhead was still running -- of course this happened when I was not at home...). Both BTA's are still with me, and doing OK (although you can still make out scar tissue).

I did briefly toy with a stream in my 75g this last summer and I don't recall the anemones ever getting pulled up too badly by the stream.

Nevertheless it is something I'd watch for a bit. I suppose you could also just dial down your stream for the night maybe?

Good luck finding him!

PS. Sam: Point well taken (about the semantics). Your clarification makes perfect sense to me.

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Oh, I know where it is. It's hiding at the back of the tank under all the rock! :rolleyes:

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Don't forget that they can crawl up to overflows too :eek: :razz:

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 06:16 AM
Oooppp's I forgot to mention that they eat fish too! :razz: :razz: :razz:

Brad, you didn't answer the last part of my post that was to do with frags and skimmers-I guess all the :razz: ing has taken it's toll eh :mrgreen:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 06:21 AM
Oooppp's I forgot to mention that they eat fish too! :razz: :razz: :razz:

They DON'T eat fish!! :neutral:
If and when it comes out of the rockwork, it's going to get Nori!!

Samw
11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Brad, you didn't answer the last part of my post that was to do with frags and skimmers-I guess all the :razz: ing has taken it's toll eh :mrgreen:

Won't have any corals left to frag for you after the anemone walks over 'em. This is too much fun.

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 06:50 AM
This is too much fun.

Gee, sure hope it doesn't walk over that bubblegum acro I've been saving for you!! :razz:

Samw
11-12-2003, 06:56 AM

Steve

Is it funny because it was a really really huge investment?

Samw
11-12-2003, 06:56 AM
This is too much fun.

Gee, sure hope it doesn't walk over that bubblegum acro I've been saving for you!! :razz:

OK, its not funny anymore.

:neutral:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 07:01 AM

Steve

Is it funny because it was a really really huge investment?

Sam, it wasn't too much of an investment.

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 07:02 AM
This is too much fun.

OK, its not funny anymore.

:neutral:

Thought you'd see it that way :lol:

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Sam,
come on don't be weak man, we could have so much more fun with this one :lol: :razz:

Besides, Brad gave me that piece when I was over there last weekend :mrgreen:

Samw
11-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Sam,

He gave you my piece or he gave you your piece? :confused:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Sam,

Sam, I think Rich smoked a piece or something. :lol: Your (the only) piece is still safe (at least until rosey starts wandering).

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 07:21 AM
:lol: :biggrin: :mrgreen: :razz:

just j'n with ya Sam

now where were we, oh yeah, we were trying to keep Brad up 24-7 :razz:

Aquattro
11-12-2003, 07:22 AM
now where were we, oh yeah, we were trying to keep Brad up 24-7 :razz:

I think it might work!!

sumpfinfishe
11-12-2003, 07:23 AM
:lol: nighty night Brad :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Sam,

Sam, I think Rich smoked a piece or something. :lol: Your (the only) piece is still safe (at least until rosey starts wandering).

Or till I sneak in and borrow it :mrgreen:

Steve

Son Of Skyline
11-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey Brad...so did your bta settle on a spot yet? Still got all your corals?

props
11-14-2003, 06:43 PM
have they split yet?
heheheheh
can 1i get first dibs!!!!!

=oÞ
thanks for the frag brad i'm going to pick it up this weekend

score!

Aquattro
11-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Hey Brad...so did your bta settle on a spot yet? Still got all your corals?

Ya, it settled under some rocks where I can't see it. No corals affected yet.

Son Of Skyline
11-14-2003, 07:23 PM
That sucks...

Let us know when it decides to shuffle itself into your perfect spot :smile:
It's way too pretty to be crammed under a bunch of rock!

Ya, it settled under some rocks where I can't see it. No corals affected yet.

Aquattro
11-15-2003, 04:34 AM
Well, the sucker is coming back out now. Not sure where it's going, so I have to babysit for a while and make sure it doesn't plant itself on my blue tort or something!! :rolleyes:

Dorkel Marine 1
11-15-2003, 07:36 AM
:cool: Hey Brad try a leash. I'm sure Steve(Stir Crazy), can come up with something. But then those"let them be free people" would come a knockin.

:cool: George :razz: