PDA

View Full Version : mangrove pruning

bkelly
06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Have you guys ever had to prune your mangroves. Mine are getting to high in my sump. I was told pruning can control the growth - I just want to do it with out killing them. Do I cut just above the first set of leaves? some are 2-3 leaf branches high and climbing.
thanks

bkelly
06-25-2010, 05:50 AM
bump
anyone had to do this

Milad
06-25-2010, 06:19 AM
quick question, why is the mangrove in the sump?

no_bs
06-25-2010, 07:10 AM
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/mangroveplantcare/

Funky_Fish14
06-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Because it is typically unorthodox growing it in the tank. Its like... growing a spruce tree in the middle of your flowerbed? Kind of odd?

The mangrove is just in there to take excess nutrients out (which they do a good job of)... so it doesnt matter where it goes but most people dont want a tree growing in their reef particularly not one that will grow out the top of the tank! Haha).

It is my understanding that you can just cut the leaf sets off... but dont quote me on it. Im ready to let mine grow out of the planted fuge quite a ways though.... they still have to make it to the water's surface (they are planted in the sand/mud bed in my fuge).

Pescador
06-25-2010, 06:17 PM
If you pinch off the growing bud, they will branch out.

sphelps
06-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Since mangroves have two sources for nutrients (from the water and from the light) you're suppose to keep the plants pruned to just a couple leaves to maximize nutrient export from your tank. However it's not recommended to prune in large amount for any plant as it can cause shock so you're suppose to do little amounts often.

bkelly
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks guys that helps. I also read about needing to mist/wipe the leaves - just as the rain would do to keep salt burn from happening - I havent done this but dont see any ill effects. also got to keep an eye on fallen leaves and I guess shoot/pod casings the tannons can raise hell