PDA

View Full Version : the "smell" is starting to get annoying

Milad
06-19-2010, 05:34 PM
So how does everyone keep the "smell" in check on their aquariums. its not super bad but i can tell there is an aquarium around. air freshner?

BlueWorldAquatic
06-19-2010, 05:36 PM
There shouldn't be any "bad smell" associated with a marine aquarium, unless your tank hasn't properly cycled yet.

It should smell like the ocean if all your parameters are correct.

Ken

christyf5
06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
But there is always that lingering skimmer smell, especially if the room is a bit more humid. I'm currently trying to figure out a way of dealing with that, the smell is just awful and it's the first thing I smell when I come in the house sometimes (although I have a very sensitive nose, others say they can't smell it). It hasn't motivated me enough to clean my skimmer cup every day though :razz:

4lti7ude
06-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Maybe something is decaying in your tank?

The protein skimmer skimate is usually smelly but not strong enough to smell from afar....

If your skimmer is getting alot of Bio Load that could be the reason why its making alot of smells from the skimmer.

Delphinus
06-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I seem to remember reading about people using carbon filters on the air vent hole of the collection cup used by beckett skimmers. I'm not sure if you could do something similar with a needlewheel based skimmer, although on the flip side usually you put these in the sand or the sump or other enclosed area so you'd think they would not be contributing to "that smell" too much.

BlueTang<3
06-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Maybe something is decaying in your tank?

The protein skimmer skimate is usually smelly but not strong enough to smell from afar....

If your skimmer is getting alot of Bio Load that could be the reason why its making alot of smells from the skimmer.

you say that try living with a bubble king :twised:

4lti7ude
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
you say that try living with a bubble king :twised:

Hahhha, well its true I only have a small Rio Nano working my tank.
Seeing alot of the crazy Skimmers in the Journals, I wouldnt find it hard to believe it can smell like crazy with the amount of Bio Load you guys pull hahhaha.

My skimate barely skims out onto the collection cup alone.

If its your skimmer thats making the smell try cleaning it a bit more often.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Try leaving an open box of baking soda in the stand to absorb odour.

Anthony

bvlester
06-19-2010, 07:49 PM
my skim mate smells really bad but only when I open the collection cut to empty then you wish you had not opened it. Ho by the way I open and empty in the washroom even with a fan on the smell lingers in there for 10 - 20 minutes. I am telling you its bad as it can get. but there is no smell other wise you can get a connection system they use a carbon filter on the vent hole. I am looking at building a couple of these just have to fine some acrylic tub to do this. There is a guy down on the coast that is selling some I know but I will not be down there till after the July long weekend. so maybe he will still have some.

Bill

bignose
06-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Perhaps the smell is coming from your sump. With my last tank I had my sump enclosed under the stand and the skimmer was stinky.

H2o2
06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Has anyone ever tryed to use the s**t from the neck of the cup as fertilizer on a plant .Maybe mix it with some fresh water and water the plants because kelp fertilizer would have some kind of salt in it. Just a thought

Zoaelite
06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Has anyone ever tryed to use the s**t from the neck of the cup as fertilizer on a plant .Maybe mix it with some fresh water and water the plants because kelp fertilizer would have some kind of salt in it. Just a thought

I would prefer not to have "s**t" stains in my plants, as nice as the growth might be it's not worth having the cats dig in it and then come lay across my face while I'm sleeping.

bvlester
06-20-2010, 12:23 AM
I would prefer not to have "s**t" stains in my plants, as nice as the growth might be it's not worth having the cats dig in it and then come lay across my face while I'm sleeping.

now thats too funny I am cracking I can see it now. The other half wakes up Oh did you have to, pete's sake open the window....:lol::lol:

Bill

Wayne
06-20-2010, 12:39 AM
You could try some activated carbon in your sump. Its supposed to remove odors.

Milad
06-20-2010, 12:59 AM
the skimmer does stink, thats another issue
its mainly the ocean smell thats annoying me.

christyf5
06-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Well as long as everything is immersed in water there shouldn't be any smell coming from the tank. The "smell of the ocean" isn't actually the ocean itself (unless its salty smell), its ocean critters decaying.

Devonious
06-20-2010, 01:46 AM
I use an IQ air, perfect 16 works great to remove the smell.

kien
06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I like that salty oceany smell :D

sitandwatch
06-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh I have noticed in the last few days that my house smells like simmer and its not a nice smell, I figure its just the humidity and heat.

I will have to try the baking soda.

daniella3d
06-20-2010, 05:37 AM
the smell? what smell?

:lol:

No smell on both of my aquariums unless I remove some of the water and expose my coral and live rock to air and even then it is not very strong smell.

So how does everyone keep the "smell" in check on their aquariums. its not super bad but i can tell there is an aquarium around. air freshner?

bigmac
06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
This "smell" is the reason that I'm designing a new fish room on my new house which will compliment a new inwall tank. I'm used to it; but my family complains (especially when company is coming over).

"Honey, I can make it so that you don't smell a thing; but I have to upgrade the size of the tank and build a dedicated fish room" was how the conversation went. Done deal.

The only thing I "smell" now is a new tank build thread. Hee Hee!

fkshiu
06-20-2010, 04:38 PM
It could be humidity. Try opening a few windows, running a fan or getting a dehumidifier.

A properly running reef system shouldn't produce any smell detectable in the room it's in unless your nose is right on top of it.