PDA

View Full Version : Algae Turf Scrubber

bigfish
06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Anyone want to eleablerate on this? Pro's and Con's? Links to setups? or anyone using one?

plutoniumJoe
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I was running one on my 75 before I switched tanks. I had a poor home made skimmer and I think the ATF really helped keep my tank clean. I had initially planned to use on my new tank but would need about 3 screens for a 210g and never got around to putting it together. My new tank has a better skimmer and that alone has kept algae at bay.

I liked the ATF and I think it worked well. The one drawback I had was is that it made vacationing difficult as it needs to be cleaned every week. We always go away and there was no way I was going to get my mother in law(fish sitter) to clean it.

-Joe

plutoniumJoe
06-19-2010, 01:54 PM
By the way, if you want my ATF set up (except the pump) you are welcome to it, it fits a 16" or larger width sump and hangs about 6 below sump rim. PM me if interested.

- Joe

Veng68
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Check this thread out.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic89570-4-1.aspx

Cheers,
Vic

bigfish
06-20-2010, 01:42 AM
ya thats one of the threads that got me thinking. I've come to the conclusion that the cons are yellowing water and possible contamination in the DT. But a mechanical filter and carbon should do the trick. What i haven't gather yet is will ANY copepods/amphipods make it past the mechanical filter/carbon filter and return pump?
and i am still planning on using a skimmer, probable first, then to the ATS dripping into the fuge, then through the carbon and mechanical filter before it hits the return pump. Or is filtration after the fuge/ATS not a good idea?

Doug
06-20-2010, 01:54 AM
There,s a pic of a real turf scrubber, built by Inland aquatics, back when they were doing so. Its still in my gallery I believe. The scrubber last ran on my large tanks before moving here. It collects dust now in my shed.

I would think a search here would bring some threads up on them, from when mine was running.

Buzz
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Santa Monica has a thread on saltwaterfish.com. Thats explains everything there is hundreds of pictures and lot's of DIY help what materials and where to get them.