PDA

View Full Version : Goniopora help!!!!!

frd72
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp246/tsesbreno/fishy/DSC08157.jpg

Can somebody tell me if my Goniopora is dying, or just shedding??
I tried it on low flow and moderate light, same with high flow and high light.. water parameters were all okay. just got this from LFS 1 week ago..
Any help will be appreciated..

thanks,
teddy

ponokareefer
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but that looks like it is dieing.

kien
06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks like it is on it's way out. Gonis can be difficult to keep..

whatcaneyedo
06-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Its toast and this is a very common occurrence. Like Kein said, they are pretty difficult to keep. I tried giving this advice to another junior member who recently bought one.

"For currently unknown reasons, Goniopora have a long history of failing to survive in the aquarium, often going into a slow demise for no apparent reason. The novice aquarist often buys a Goniopora coral and then boasts about its "long-term" survival after 6 months. However, Goniopora frequently thrive for up to a year or more before declining. Typically, they gradually fail to expand their tentacles and eventually either waste away or "shut down" (the polyps no longer open). Often, brown jelly infections occur that rapidly destroy all of the coral's living tissue."

Aquarium Corals Selection, Husbandry and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman 2004

George
06-18-2010, 07:02 PM
yep, it's dying. Although one week is very quick even for Goniopora. I wouldn't recommend Goniopora to anyone, newbie or seanonal reefers.

4lti7ude
06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
This is why no matter how much you like something at the LFS; resist the urge to impulse buy.

Go home and do your research thoroughly and you wont be disappointed with your money spent.

frd72
06-18-2010, 08:02 PM
thanks a lot for all the response..

teddy

frd72
06-18-2010, 08:42 PM
is this going to harm the rest of my tank??
do i need to take this out of my tank right now??

thanks,
teddy

ponokareefer
06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
The decay could cause a spike in your nitrates/nitrites/ammonia, so you should probably pull it out.

fishytime
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
could try dipping it to save it.....

Zoaelite
06-18-2010, 10:24 PM
could try dipping it to save it.....
+1, pull it out and put it in an iodine dip for 5-10 mins. Place back in the tank in an area of higher flow and that might help it.

As stated though it's dieing for a reason, what sort of feeding regime are you using?

Wayne
06-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I have had 2 healthy ones for almost 2 months (crosses fingers). That definatly doesn't look cool :(

naesco
06-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I have had 2 healthy ones for almost 2 months (crosses fingers). That definatly doesn't look cool :(

Sadly Wayne they will not survive. Reputable LFS do not even carry them anymore.
If you can take them back to the LFS

bvlester
06-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I have seen Goni in every LFS I have been in in the interior so far I do not buy them for a couple reasons. 1 they generally don't live they need a tank that has been establish for a long time as their needs are demanding and the nutrients they need. 2 they tend to cost more than I am willing to spend on a coral It would have to be an amazing coral to spend that much. I will spend allot on coral but there has to be some thing different on the rock with the coral. I have some shrums I have not found on the net for sale so I know what they sell for and I don't ask to much. I generally like to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the going rate I'm not in this to make a tun of money. But would like to get back some thing for my effort. I have a couple other thing that are kind of on the rare side.

Bill

Kevotron
06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Flower Pot = Flower Rot...
took 2 of them for me to learn my lesson.

frd72
06-20-2010, 06:11 AM
yeah it really gave up on me yesterday.
i can't blame my LFS their been so good to me since i started with the hobby. The lesson on this is research first on the web or post on canreef for questions.
Thanks again for all who take the time to answer my question..

thanks,
teddy

RuGlu6
06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I have one and its doing good, had it for 3 years now, even sold babyes on here.
The only difference is that its Red not green like yours.
I feed Reef-Roids.

whatcaneyedo
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I've read a few success stories, usually describing the red ones as being much longer lived. There is a user on RC who had one for around 6 years until he parted out his tank. It was the size of a basket ball. You can see it here in the lower left corner http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760591