PDA

View Full Version : wet/dry recommendations...

schroedel
06-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I just got my 110 gal glass bowfront in. I need a new wet/dry filter and skimmer for it.I have only 30in length to work with.I would want an in sump skimmer for it. any recommendations? I was looking at a Berliner WD-125 Wet/Dry Filter
but the size of this leaves me with no extra space underneath but thats ok, but what skimmer?

also was looking at the megflow sump filter model 3 (up to 110 gal)also but not sure of a skimmer that will fit that.I would like model 4 since it goes up to 240 gal but i cant fit it so I would be at max. with model 3 but i guess thats ok. I hope you have some wise help for me.
I have on my 75gal tank that i am replacing , an amiricle really old sump and an old stand alone emperor aquatics series 6-1. Both would be at max on 110gal. and could not fit sump and skimmer under new tank.
thank youhttp://www.3reef.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley.gif

Rogue951
06-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Why do you need a wet/dry filter?
I know a lot of people are going to shoot that idea down very soon....

schroedel
06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Why do you need a wet/dry filter?
I know a lot of people are going to shoot that idea down very soon....
Sorry thats all i know since my current reef tank has had a wet/dry stuffed with live rock for 15+ yrs. I do not want tp do a refug.,(i dont think). I am open to suggestions and willing to learn. Thanks

bryceschutte
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Pictures please. I am so new to this that I haven't even heard of wet/dry filter. Now I'm curious.

hillegom
06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
The hobby has evolved a lot since 15 yrs ago. Wet/dry filters were very efficient, err, nitrate factories. They certainly were a step up when first introduced. Now, the emphasis is on skimming. Take the organics out before it turns into nitrates. The bacteria on all the live rock takes care of most of the biological processes, as well as live sand.
I found the book Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner very helpful. But I am sure there is a lot of info on the web now.

gobytron
06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63833

super small profile skimmer.

schroedel
06-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I did alot of reading since and have a different thought process while setting up the new tank.This shows how old scholl i am with the wet/dry. As for my existing tank, today I took out all the bio balls and live rock in the dry area of my wet/dry and put a deep bed of live sand and put the live rock back and filled it with water. now a sump.:biggrin: