PDA

View Full Version : Fish going missing

dunkliss
06-18-2010, 01:59 AM
HEy in the last month I have lost a mandarine dragonette a brown goby and last night my watchman goby. not sure what could be doing this i have a purple reef lobster but not sure he has been in the tank for a while and i never have had any problems with him before.
other tank inhabitants are yellow tank, regal tang, 2 black clowns, tomato clown, 3 yellow clown gobys and fire shrimp (which also has possibly gone missing) cleaner shrimp and peperemint shrimp. any ideas on what might be happening or any suggestions to get the lobster out without ripping apart the tank. thanks

Wingin It
06-18-2010, 02:11 AM
No bodies? Did you check around the tank on the floor? Check the sump/filter?

chandigz
06-18-2010, 02:55 AM
My guess would be the reef lobster. They are usually ok for a while but usually develop a taste for fish as they grow. Gobies and bottom fish are usually the first to go as they are easier for the lobster to catch. They are opportunistic feeders so if they can get it they will.

naesco
06-18-2010, 03:00 AM
My guess would be the reef lobster. They are usually ok for a while but usually develop a taste for fish as they grow. Gobies and bottom fish are usually the first to go as they are easier for the lobster to catch. They are opportunistic feeders so if they can get it they will.

When the lights go out and the fish go to sleep, the lobster, a predator, finishes them off one by one.

burrows14
06-18-2010, 03:07 AM
When the lights go out and the fish go to sleep, the lobster, a predator, finishes them off one by one.

+1

I had one come with a tank I purchased and one night when I was watching my tank I saw it catch my copperband butterfly and pull him into a cave. I also had a mantis take out my gobies. After the mantis and lobster were gone I lost a clown tang without a trace.... still never know what happend to him :(

dunkliss
06-18-2010, 05:23 AM
thanks any ideas on how to get trap the lobster.
idealy with out ripping the reef apart

and there was no sign of any bodies or anything just vanished

burgerchow
06-18-2010, 05:28 AM
purple reef lobster for sure is the culprit. Had one in a tank for about 3 years before. Every fish I put in would eventually disappear. Smart buggers too, tried to trap him many times, but to no avail. Finally got rid of him when I took down that tank. Time for some new aquasculpturing...lol

Wayne
06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Maybe possible to put a peice of raw shrimp or fish out and draw him out that way...