PDA

View Full Version : Birds nest die off

Douglas
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I've had two large birds nest colonies die off in less the a month now, and can't figure out why. A large brown, and a large pink. Had both colonies for well over a year. Within two days each, they completely die off. Whats up with that? The only thing i've changed, is the switch over to bio-pellets. Any Ideas?

globaldesigns
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Hmmm, I don't think its the Pellets, I run those without issue.

I find birdsnests like lots of light and heavy flow. At least for me... Did anything change in the lighting or flow?

lorenz0
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
If the only variable that was changed in your tank was the biopelets and than this happened i would be looking at this. Now here is what i have a problem with. With these biopelets did you dump the whole bag into your reactor or did you only start with a small amount?

Than again, in the spring my birdsnest rtn'd on me after changing 2 bulbs. you never know

Douglas
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Only started with half a bag of pellets. The tank is only 72 gallons. I don't believe flow or lighting are an issue. (well, at least i don't think they are). Both colonies were growing and doing fine. With any luck I should be able to frag off a piece of the pink. And i have a second colony of the brown. Dissapointing.

lorenz0
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
when you get home triple check your parameters. also are you dosing anything?

Douglas
06-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I'll check everything, and break out the frag tray. I'm using E.V.S B-Ionic 2 part system, And have been for a year or so. I have water gurgling, for a water change, as we speak.