PDA

View Full Version : Tek Light Elite vs. AquaticLife

turkleton
06-17-2010, 05:07 AM
I need to get a new T5 HO fixture for my tank. It will have to be a 36" long 6 bulb fixture. I am looking at either the new Tek Light Elite fixture by sunlight supply or an AquatiLife fixture. I like the moonlights and programmable timer on the Aquaticlife light but I don't know how the two fixtures stack up to one another as far as quality of the blasts and reflectors. Any information and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

viperfish
06-17-2010, 05:21 AM
The new Aqua Medic Oceanlight kicks the crap out of both of them IMO. It has cooling fans, built in moonlights (which the TEK does not). The splash screen is a three piece glass which is really easy to remove and clean and does not warp like the TEK one has a tendency to do. The Aqua Medic comes with both mounting legs and hanging kit, with the TEK you have to buy both and the Aquaticlife comes with legs only. The build quality of the Aquaticlife and Aqua Medic are both very rugged, they are both better than the TEK. Aqua Medic includes bulbs for less than the price of either one of the other fixtures.
I just finished researching the heck out of the newest T5 fixtures for the best light for the buck and I did settle on Aqua Medic because the new Oceanlight that was released about a month ago has everything a person could want in a T5 HO hands down.
Again just my humble opinion.
http://www.saltysupply.com/36-Inch-6-x-39-watt-AquaMedic-Ocean-Light-T5-Light-p/aq18731.htm

fishytime
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Aqua-Medic is a decent light but they are a nightmare to get parts and service from (the reason we stopped carrying AM).....

BlueWorldAquatic
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Aqua-Medic is a decent light but they are a nightmare to get parts and service from (the reason we stopped carrying AM).....

Actually they aren't anymore under new management. I have recently requested parts for some of the fixtures in the store, and they shipped them fast. Then again it could be I'm a dealer though.

Some suggestions:

ATI 36" 6x39W Sun Power High-Output Fixture for $559.99
ATI 36" 6x39W Powermodule T5 High-Output Fixture $809.99

Ocean Light T5 6 x 39 W, $489.99

6x39W T5 HO Fixture with 4 Lunars - 36" 599.99

Ken - BWA

doch
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I have the aquatice life, and wonder the same thing about the ballasts and reflectors. Only thing that I can tell you for sure is that it's REALLY nice having the push button timer. I also don't know about the quaility of the Aquatice life bulbs, so I swapped them out... I wish that the fixture came without bulbs so you could pick your own colour combo and bulb quality.

viperfish
06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

I heard the same thing about the new Management. For a few years they were suffering on the customer service end of things even though they had some very high quality products. The consensus around here was that they were a PITA to deal with. I am still a big Aqua Medic fan and I have been fortunate to not need any warranty or service, which is probably why I like their products. Now that they have a new Rep around here, I am hoping things will get better. If you check Reefbuilders site you will see all of the new and innovative things they ave in Europe that will probably be crossing the border very soon. They have some nice nano tanks, a really cool sphere design, LED light fixtures, powerheads, and on and on. They are still one of the Leaders in Europe for equipment and have been for years.

I'm not a dealer or distributor or anything of a kind, I've just spent a heck of a lot of money over the years and I have had my share of new and trendy stuff that cost an arm and a leg but turned out to be junk. I have had quality and reliability with Aqua Medic so I stick with what I am comfortable with.

turkleton
06-19-2010, 12:47 AM
After doing some research and comparisons I think I am going to try the AquaMedic Ocean Light. Thank you everyone for all the input.