PDA

View Full Version : help with pyramid snails

hillegom
06-16-2010, 03:50 AM
I could not believe it. I have had my clam for about 8 months. When I first received it I checked for the snails and saw none.
Last week, I saw one, so took the clam out and found about a dozen and egg masses. Got rid of them by brushing them off and washing.
So 2 days ago the clam is not opening fully, so took it out and found 3 small snails. The clam still does not fully open.
I thought I read somewhere, where the snails could go inside the clam and eat it from the inside out. Is this true?
Any other ideas?
Thanks

whatcaneyedo
06-16-2010, 05:00 AM
I've always read to simply continue to check and clean them off at night for a couple weeks and then periodically check after... You could also maybe get a six line wrasse or yellow coris wrasse. They will usually eat them (during the day) and should help in your battle but wont solve your problem completely. I personally prefer a yellow coris wrasse. I've only had one but it ate any small snails and flat worms like a champ. Plus they aren't as territorial as a six line.

Ian
06-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Had a problem with these a while back and lost 2 of my clams before it was contained. Visual inspection helped but a Melanurus Wrasse was the final solution. He has been a model member of my tank allthough tiny snails may be a snack.

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/wrassereefsafe/melanuruswrasse/

good luck

hillegom
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the input. I check the clam once a week now, and do not find any more snails.
However, 80% of the time, the clam does not fully open anymore. I sure hope its not on the way out.
I have not bought a wrasse, as my present setup is bioload full.
Anymore thoughts?
Thanks

mark
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
read 6-lines will go after the snails, they're not that big

Ryanst
07-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Well I just finished reading Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree and in there he just says to scrub them off to get rid of them or get one of these fish. Tail spot wrasse, Green wrasse, sixline wrasse, fourline wrasse or red coris wrasse. He also said if you could get on there is a small crab that eats them Thamalita sima. How big is the clam? what kind? Do you think it might have something else too like pinched mantle?

hillegom
07-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up of pinched mantle. Never heard of it before.
I found this helpful as well, after, I googled pinched mantle

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/MarineInvertebrateZoology/Chamamacerophylla.html

Ryanst
07-08-2010, 03:22 AM
If you do have pinched mantle the book says to freshwater dip the clam for 30 min in ro water thats temperature and ph are as close to possible to your tank and you are supposed to thoroughly shake the clam for a few minutes to make sure the water gets into mantle cavity and stuff.