PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp are @$#%&*^!@#

Doug
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
:lol:

Always thought they were pests, but I keep buying more. Wondered why I was loosing snails of late. So this morning I watched a cleaner poke at the snail until it retracted and fell from the rock.

The shrimp then proceeded to flip it over and started poking away at the snail, trying to eat it I assume. Of course up to my elbows in water just before going to work. Loads of fun.

Will be the last of their kind in my tank.

sitandwatch
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Hmm,

Mine have not done that, the one I have spends most of its time with the pinktail trigger, I want more.

lastlight
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I didn't think those little guys even had that kind of strength or claws. I could barely feel them when they're eat of my hand.

Doug
06-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I didn't think those little guys even had that kind of strength or claws. I could barely feel them when they're eat of my hand.

Never thought they did either. However, seeing is believing. They are large adult shrimp. I have two large fire shrimp also and they seem docile, in comparison.

Bryan
06-16-2010, 12:53 AM

Always thought they were pests, but I keep buying more. Wondered why I was loosing snails of late. So this morning I watched a cleaner poke at the snail until it retracted and fell from the rock.

The shrimp then proceeded to flip it over and started poking away at the snail, trying to eat it I assume. Of course up to my elbows in water just before going to work. Loads of fun.

Will be the last of their kind in my tank.

Perhaps doing what cleaners do best, cleaning the snail of parasites?

Delphinus
06-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Yeah, naughty little bugs. I too have seen cleaners and peppermints go to town on smaller snails. Forget having Stomatella snails for example in any tank with shrimp.

The basic rule is don't trust anything with claws. Some are just pretty enough to look enough the other way when it comes to questionable feeding habits, like cleaner shrimp or other Lysmata sp.

o.c.d.
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Do you feed your shrimp? Many people do not assuming they will get all they need scavenging. Same goes with hermits. Try target feeding them they may just behave for you.

Leah
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
The basic rule is don't trust anything with claws.

Yup! That goes for women too! :wink:

fishytime
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Yup! That goes for women too! :wink:

I second that!

untamed
06-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Purchase more snails...

Doug
06-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you feed your shrimp? Many people do not assuming they will get all they need scavenging. Same goes with hermits. Try target feeding them they may just behave for you.

They get more than their fair share.

Purchase more snails...

:lol: Yep. Going to do that.

I have had cleaner shrimp for most of the 20yrs. I have been reefing and should say this is the first time I have noticed this behavior with them.

Important word is "noticed". :lol: