PDA

View Full Version : Another ID thread. Am I in trouble???

loveless
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Ok. For the longest time I thought these were diatoms, but now I think I am dead wrong.

What can only be described as reaching plague proportions, these little brown things hang out on the glass, sand, rock, pretty much whatever that doesnt move.

Size is about 1/16 of an inch wide and 1/8 long. they move about on the glass fairly slowly, and imo I think they are some kind of worm.

I tried to take pics but its fairly difficult. What u can see here is only the tip of the iceberg, there are many many more.http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/loveless_75/P1000796.jpghttp://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/loveless_75/P1000802.jpghttp://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/loveless_75/P1000801.jpghttp://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/loveless_75/P1000800.jpgIf any more pics are required just holla.

Please help to Identify these "things" so I can fight the good fight.

Thanks
Cam

muck
06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Flatworms... many types of wrasses will feed on these.

Syphon as many as you can out during waterchanges as well.

loveless
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Sigh. Thanks for the reply.

Myka
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
You will probably need to be more aggressive than muck has suggested to be rid of these pests. They will sit on corals and block the light so the corals starve to death. If you work on lowering nutrients you will often lower the numbers of flatworms. Siphoning at least weekly...you could try one of those gravel vacuums that has a pump and a bag to catch detritus (in this case flatworms) without removing water. Works like a charm. Once you have the population lowered (you have LOTS), then a product called Flat Worm Exit works very well to be rid of the last remaining of the pests. Some Wrasses may eat flatworms (it is individual), and make good prophylactics, but are not usually capable of depleting a population like yours.

Do some Googling...lots of info.

loveless
06-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Grrr thanks for the reply. Will have to do the usual google help type stuff. At the level these things are at im sure to find atleast a couple of others who have suffered this one.

gobytron
06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
While it will not relieve your problem completely, as Mykas instructions will certainly put you on track to do, bumpin up your flow will reduce thier numbers significantly.

I used to have them as bad as you judging by your pics but when I added another 80% of flow in my tank they became barely noticeable and only visible in cracks and pockets where the water movement is minimal.

I have read of people bumping up flow and then adding a biological solution (like a wrasse) until they are all gone to the eye and then putting flow back to normal with good results.

I have also found that Blue Velvet Headshields can really do a number on these things and since this particular flatworm isn't detrimental unless concentrated in large numbers you wind up with a sustainable diet for a pretty cool reef inhabitant who needs these flatworms as a specialized diet.

mseepman
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Please keep in mind that as these little guys die, they give off a poison that is no good for your tank.

If you choose to get rid of them via a chemical means, like flatworm exit for example, siphon as many out as you can then be ready to siphon them as they die.

If you could find a blue velvet, that would be the best option but I rarely see them in stores so best of luck.

muck
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
If you want to go the Blue Velvet route... give Ken a call at BlueWorld. Im sure he will bring one in for you.

Myka
06-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Blue Velvet Nudibranchs are sensitive, and don't acclimate very well, so don't be surprised if it dies before it eats any. the advice to up the flow is great advice, I forgot to mention it.

Delphinus
06-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I've never seen a canary wrasse or radiant wrasse that didn't pretty much eradicate a flatworm population, given enough time. Plus, they are wicked pretty fish worthy of keeping in their own right.

There was a time there you couldn't get Flatworm Exit in Canada due to some kind of legal issue with the labeling or something. Not sure if that's resolved. Ask around, your LFS might still be able to get it, but if it it isn't available then look at mail-order from the U.S. Only thing with a chemical treatment is it can spike your tank with the massive die off so manual removal for as much as possible is a must.

That said ... I have had flatworms on a couple occasions, but tried canary wrasses in both cases and they did the trick within a month or two.

The only cautionary with the wrasses is that they are jumpers and it's probably more a question of when than if. If you have an open top tank you'll need to take countermeasures to ensure you don't find some floor jerky some day.

whatcaneyedo
06-16-2010, 07:32 AM
They have existed in my systems for several years and for a very brief period they reached a large population like what you've shown but now I barely notice them. I've done everything that has been recommended from flow to fish to chemical treatment and head shield slug. But if you don't QT very well (or at all) you'll just get them again... like I did. So don't do anything too crazy (like flatworm exit) unless you're really going to commit.

Mandarin Dragonets are also known to eat them but like wrasse they are hit and miss. In general any wrasse from the genus Halichoeres will sometimes eat them. The best thing you can do in my opinion is add one of these and increase your flow.

no_bs
06-16-2010, 08:20 AM
+1 on the wrasses.

lorenz0
06-16-2010, 01:15 PM
flat worm exit worked for me. but my population was alot smaller than what you have. best of luck

gobytron
06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Blue Velvet Nudibranchs are sensitive, and don't acclimate very well, so don't be surprised if it dies before it eats any. the advice to up the flow is great advice, I forgot to mention it.

I have had 2 for 4 months now.
One large and the other about 1/2 the largers size
Experiences vary I suppose.

Maybe chalk it up to JL having exceptional livestock.

BlueWorldAquatic
06-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I have had success with Myka's suggestions also.

Suck up as much as you can at water change time.

I find theat six line wrasses work quite well, 2 in a 200 gal will keep the flatworms down.

I have Blue Velvet Nudi's coming in Thursday night too. Hopefully :question:

Ken - BWA