PDA

View Full Version : RODI water pressure

Tigger
11-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Is it good to have high water pressure when making RODI? Does pressure make a difference? Can you damage the unit by having too much pressure? I was thinking of buying an attachement that converts a water hose connection to a small air line tube size and use that to feed my RODI unit. This produces a lot of pressure since the end of it is so narrow. Is this a good idea? Currently I am just using an attachement that comes with the water tap purifier. You flick the switch one way and it puts water through the RODI and if you flick the switch the other way, it runs through like it normally does.

StirCrazy
11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
depends on how high the water pressure is. I would recomend no more than 100 PSI water pressure. also you will make more water at 100 PSI than at 60 PSI and most membrains are dual rated for 60PSI and 100PSI but the RO companies don't tell you this.

Steve

Tigger
11-10-2003, 03:08 PM
How can you tell what your membrane is rated for?

My RODI unit is suppose to be rated for 50Gal/Day

Michel
11-10-2003, 09:53 PM
I have that adapter you are talking about and it is made in a way that it will not increase pressure ! I installed the unit from AquaSafe in Vancouver and they tell you all about psi ands how to test !
Good luck

StirCrazy
11-11-2003, 01:04 AM
How can you tell what your membrane is rated for?

My RODI unit is suppose to be rated for 50Gal/Day

you have to figure out what pressure they are claiming 50gpd at. it could be 50GPD @ 50 or 60 or 100PSI. if the company isn't cheep they will use a 50GPD @ 50PSI... if they are cheep they will use a 50GPS @ 100PSI

This also explains why some people who buy 50GPD set ups only get 35 GPD out of them and some get more.

Basicly all TFT membrains have a max PSI of 120 PSI.. for a safe working pressure I would not go over 100PSI.

I just recived some new membrains from my supplier that are rated as follows.

75gpd@50psi, 100GPD@60psi and 160GPD@100PSI (this is one membrane not 3 different ones) I am rigging my RO up with two of these running at 100PSI so I will have a 320GPD setup.

Steve