PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Topup Controller

martinmcnally
06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Can anyone recommend a good top-up controller? My just died :o( I was using a Tunze before but I didn't really think it was that good.

Martin

fishytime
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Tunze.......I've heard of some of the parts(usually the pump) failing on occasion but that can/will happen with any brand...... the thing I dont hear about tunze ATOs, is them flooding the house.....by far the best and most reliable brand of store bought ATOs....and the service is good to if you do end up having a problem....

martinmcnally
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Hmmmm. My pump died about 4 times. I ended up buying a handful of them so I just replace when it happens. Now the united died but it is 2 years old. Maybe I will give them a call.

Martin

Ron99
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Autotopoff.com. Get the double float valve unit that has the second one as a safety shut off.

lastlight
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
So long as it tops up and doesn't fail...it's perfect. That's been my experience with two different Tunze I've owned.

Edit: hadn't read about your failing pumps. Yeah those are cheap to replace and I hear of them failing but 4 times over two years seems bad to me.

globaldesigns
06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I use the Tunze, it has been in use for almost 3 years, without an issue.

I believe it is foolproof, as it uses IR sensors, others don't, thus the more $$$ price tag.

reefbyremote
06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Tunze. Best purchase I have made. Plug and play and no issues for me at all.

kien
06-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Autotopoff.com. Get the double float valve unit that has the second one as a safety shut off.

+1. Have used theirs on 3 different tanks and for over a year of usage without a single issue. The pump was a cheap little $10 pump that also has not had any issues over the past year and it has run dry quite frequently.. oops! :redface:

Jessie55
06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I bought the jbj unit and i am loving it. It has two sensors so you can configure it a few different ways and it has a safety so that it will only pump for a certain amount of time continuosly. That way as long as you have a slow pump there is no risk of pumping the entire contents of your resevoir should something fail.

martinmcnally
06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
The biggest problem I have with the Tunze controllers is it only supplies 12v to their pumps. So when the pump dies as it often tends to do (with me anyways) if it ever runs dry you have to get their pump replacement.

I see Autotopoff.com uses 120v pumps which I think will be way better should they ever need replaced.

I think I am going to go with that and see how it works. Its also about $190 cheaper lol.

The light sensors that Tunze uses are pretty cheap I think you can get them for about $5 so not sure why their model is way more expensive, probably because of the cool flashy lights they have on the controller lol.

whatcaneyedo
06-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I bought a partially used Tunze 4 years ago. The pump was new but the rest was at least a year old. I paid $50 for it and have never had a problem. It has been the best $50 I've spent on this hobby so far.

dynamite
06-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Is anyone using the elos osmocontroller 2? :mrgreen:

amoreira
06-15-2010, 03:37 AM
that uses the 12 V signal to activate a 110 VAC pump. This is good for large aquariums where the dinky pump they supply is not big enough. I found that my pump would burn out if some dirt or something got into the pump and jarred it. I put the pump in a filter sock and found it has lasted a lot longer (maybe my imagination). Nothing beats the optical sensor for reliably sensing the level IMO. Works even when it gets gummed up with gunk or invaded by bubbles from the skimmer output.

amoreira
06-15-2010, 03:39 AM
If you don't like using the low voltage pump, you can get a Tunze relay that uses the 12 V signal to activate a 110 VAC pump. This is good for large aquariums where the dinky pump they supply is not big enough. I found that my pump would burn out if some dirt or something got into the pump and jarred it. I put the pump in a filter sock and found it has lasted a lot longer (maybe my imagination). Nothing beats the optical sensor for reliably sensing the level IMO. Works even when it gets gummed up with gunk or invaded by bubbles from the skimmer output.