PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol lands in Calgary

EmilyB
11-10-2003, 04:34 AM
"Gill" has arrived safely in Calgary.

Thanks Sam, firstly, for such a healthy adoptee, and J&L for the 02 for the trip home, Christy for the toasty carry-on bag..

I hope I can continue providing the care this fish needs to fluorish and live a good long life in captivity.

Pics to follow later, Gill is resting with Puff as his sidekick.

Canadian Man
11-10-2003, 05:13 AM
Christy is here again! :lol:

Congrat's Deb! I can't wait to see him/her. The fish that is not Christy :razz:

Quinn
11-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Sweet. Love a good moorish idol. :cool:

Samw
11-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Wow. Bold title. Very sad to see it go after 1.5 years. Well, I simply ran out of room. I guess I still have my photo album of her from the very beginning. You'll love the personality. Never bit me once but will bite the heck out of a pipette or turkey baster. Good luck and thanks for adopting her.

AJ_77
11-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Bold title, yeah. I thought this was a covert operation!?! :wink:

Very cool, BTW. Where is it going to live?

Skimmerking
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Deb you never cease to amaze me with a ll the fish you can get your hands on .... :cool:
OH well time for a bigger tank..

good luck on the new fishy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob I
11-10-2003, 04:41 PM
I will wish you the best of luck with him. I had one for exactly four months some years ago. I had him in a four foot tank. He always looked as if he would have preferred a lot more swimming room. He ate very well, and never got skinny, but on four month anniversary of the day I bought him, I found him dead. :cry:

If I were offered a chance to do it over, I would provide a lot more room, and better quality food. Those are two thing I know Deb will provide. :mrgreen:

EmilyB
11-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks all of you, she's going into the new tank when it's ready to go. I'll introduce her before the tangs. So 230g should keep her happy. She ate right away Sam. A few flakes last nite and some mysis this morning. Puff ate first and then she showed no hesitation.

No Christy isn't here Jon. I picked the fish up on my relative visiting trip :evil: :rolleyes: and met up with Christy along the way.

Samw
11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Awesome Deb. Remember my story, I nearly lost her when I unplugged the skimmer one night. The next morning, it lied flat on the sandbed and the only movement was the heavily gasping gills (gasping for oxygen). It recovered only after I plugged the skimmer back in. If I woke up that day an hour later, it would have died "mysteriously". Other fish can survive on regular oxygen levels but the Idol needs more than other fish. They need more than tangs. Powerfilters and powerheads that ripple the water is not enough. They need big waves crashing or artificial aeration (skimmer, airstones) or they'll quickly suffocate regardless of the size of the tank.

EDIT: My tank looks so empty. :sad:

EmilyB
11-13-2003, 05:04 AM
Bessie, the MOO-rish idol. She has a name now. :biggrin:

I won't put up a pic until she is in the big tank. She goes in there first....Spiffy will have to eat her dust.........

Speaking of eating dust, Bessie really liked eating the poop fresh from the puffer.... :eek:

Disclaimer: spend $16000 and 8000 hrs online
Darren says:
rofl. then maybe, just maybe you can try one too.