PDA

View Full Version : 250W MH Favor

sleeman
11-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Hey guys & Gals,
I bought a couple 250W bulbs from Venki. Even though he did an incredible job of packaging, Canada Post tried their hardest to break them. They Actually split the box and cruched a corner. The bulbs are still intact except there are a couple small fragments of glass inside the bulb. I bought some ballasts out of the state, but they are in transit still.
I live in St Albert, is there anyone close by that I could bring the bulbs by to make sure they still work? For the MH experts, have you ever seen this before? Is it something I should worry about. I will try to post a picture of the glass fragments.

Cheers,

Al

StirCrazy
11-10-2003, 01:12 AM
I think your best bet would be to ask Venki himself.. I have heard of a bunch of radiums with glass chips inside so it might be part of the manufacturing process.

Steve

sleeman
11-10-2003, 01:19 AM
You bet Steve,
Have already been talking to him, we both think that they will no hinder the performance of the bulb. I just need to confirm that they will fire up.

Cheers,

Al

Stretch
11-10-2003, 01:26 AM
I really didn't noticed anything in my bulbs from venkiw, But my ushio 175 did have a little beed in the bulb when i first got it

sleeman
11-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Here is a pic of the glass shards inside the bulb.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/747Shards.JPG?3136

Al

Stretch
11-10-2003, 01:39 AM
I never had anything like that

Reef_kid
11-10-2003, 02:21 AM
i got 2 400 watt radium bulbs from j and l aquatics and they both had beads of glass in them. i phoned them and they said it was very common and that it does not hurt the bulbs preformance.

cheers dave

sleeman
11-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Finally got my ballasts yesterday, and hooked up the bulbs. They fired up great. Actually, the first one fired up and I let it run for about 2 mins. I unplugged the ballast and removed the bulb. I then put the second bulb in and plugged in the ballast. Because the ballast was now warm, it did not fire the second bulb right away I guess the ballasts have to cool off before they will refire. So I took my neighbor (electrician)downstairs to show him the main tank and sump etc and when we came back upstairs the kitchen was extremely well lit. I am sooooooooooo stoked about getting these lights up. If all goes well, the tank should be up and running before christmas.

Cheers,

Al