PDA

View Full Version : Who is in the SE/SW?

bryceschutte
06-13-2010, 06:34 AM
I am wanting to come see some members set ups and pick some brains for knowledge. Who lives in the SE or SW? The more I learn the more we could babysit each others tanks.

Delphinus
06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
There are a handful of southerners on the board but some days I swear we're in the minority with a good chunk of the cool kids living within a stone's throw of RC.

Anyhow I'm down in Evergreen. If that's close by to you drop me a line sometime! :)

Gaffer
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Copperfield represent.

There are a couple of other too but I will let them chime in.

Andrew

globaldesigns
06-14-2010, 04:18 AM
I am in Bridlewood, about 5 minutes from Tony (Delphinus)

Always love chatting reef talk.

Bloodasp
06-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Somerset here

abcha0s
06-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Douglasdale

I'd also like the chance to meet some of the SW/SE reefers and share knowledge. I wish there was more interest in semi regular events / meetups.

Brad

4lti7ude
06-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Applewood SE

Just at the boarder of the hood, but still SE according to the map hhahaha.
If anyone's close to apple it would be sick to trade frags or something.

kien
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Douglasdale

I'd also like the chance to meet some of the SW/SE reefers and share knowledge. I wish there was more interest in semi regular events / meetups.

Brad

Maybe all that's needed is someone to step in and organize an event :) I think someone posted something about another Calgary frag meet not too long ago and there was a lot of interest but no one could step forward to actually organize it :)

Coleus
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Not in SE/SW but i am in Sherwood NW :-)

couchrugby2
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Bridlewood for me

DCDN
06-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Lakeview here

bryceschutte
06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
WOW, so we got alot of members here in a small area. We need to all get together. I would offer my place but its not the biggest house in the area and my tank is nothing special to look at.

Who's going to step up here? I guess whoever decideds to host this will get to pick when we do it.

I'm also hopeing to do a tour of a few different members tanks the same evening.

What does everyone think?

Gaffer
06-14-2010, 09:29 PM
More importantly, I think it would be worthwhile to organize a caravan/carpool to Frag Fest in Edmonton.

Even if we got a table at a lounge someplace to sit & BS that would be fine. My VW club does one once a month and it is just a drop in type of thing and chat with whoever is there over a couple of beverages.

Andrew

meenamjah
06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Signal Hill here

Zoaelite
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Douglasdale here myself, I would be open for hosting something at my house if we can get this going. Lots of room in the back, putting green and a big firemagic BBQ to boot.

My frag tank is finally full after years of anticipation so I will be having people over anyways, might as well host one of these to meet all of my fellow reef geeks :lol:.

kien
06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
More importantly, I think it would be worthwhile to organize a caravan/carpool to Frag Fest in Edmonton.

Even if we got a table at a lounge someplace to sit & BS that would be fine. My VW club does one once a month and it is just a drop in type of thing and chat with whoever is there over a couple of beverages.

Andrew

There is a club in town called the Calgary Reefkeepers (www.calgaryreefkeepers.ca). Maybe sign up and start suggesting some of those things to the club members as well :-)

tinman
06-15-2010, 01:54 AM
i'm in cranston.
did someone say frag meet? i'm in !
i could do alittle trimmin!
was goin to join the reefkeepers, the site seems to be down for maintenence.

tinman
06-15-2010, 02:19 AM
There is a club in town called the Calgary Reefkeepers (www.calgaryreefkeepers.ca). Maybe sign up and start suggesting some of those things to the club members as well :-)

well just had a look around the calgary reefkeepers site and considering the amount of people here in town i thought i would have seen more members maybe i was looking in the wrong spot but i think i saw maybe 4 members tell me this isn't so!

abcha0s
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
I was told that all of the activity around "calgaryreefkeepers" took place on canreef. If I was mislead, please correct me.

Anyway, I'd really like to participate in a frag meet. I have some frags to trade, but would mostly enjoy meeting other reefers and chatting (maybe over a beer?)

I'm out of town between June 26 and July 12th. Hopefully it can be arranged afterwards? Just thought I'd put that out there :smile:

Gaffer
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I took a look at CRK as well and there does not seem to be much action there. Not sure why.

It is too bad since it may be a good vehicle to set up things like frag swaps etc.

I dont have any frags to move right now as I am just looking to stock 3 tanks that I am just in the process of setting up, but would be more than willing to buy frags off people at such an event.

Andrew

Wingin It
06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
At the CAS mtgs we were talking about a frag swap, but it wasn't expected until October, I kinda complained that it would be too cold...so maybe September. I wasn't for sure though on who exactly was putting this on?

kien
06-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I took a look at CRK as well and there does not seem to be much action there. Not sure why.

It is too bad since it may be a good vehicle to set up things like frag swaps etc.

I dont have any frags to move right now as I am just looking to stock 3 tanks that I am just in the process of setting up, but would be more than willing to buy frags off people at such an event.

Andrew

The reason why is the same reason why you probably won't get much movement here either.. Someone needs to actually step in and take charge so that things get done. There is no doubt that there is a lot of interest but there is a definite lack of leadership unfortunately.

Wingin It
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Douglasdale here myself, I would be open for hosting something at my house if we can get this going. Lots of room in the back, putting green and a big firemagic BBQ to boot.

My frag tank is finally full after years of anticipation so I will be having people over anyways, might as well host one of these to meet all of my fellow reef geeks :lol:.

Sounds Awesome to me! When?!! LOL

Zoaelite
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Sounds Awesome to me! When?!! LOL

I'm back from holidays at the beggining of July, I'm thinking around the 10th or so If we can muster it this quickly?

Gaffer
06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
The reason why is the same reason why you probably won't get much movement here either.. Someone needs to actually step in and take charge so that things get done. There is no doubt that there is a lot of interest but there is a definite lack of leadership unfortunately.

Sounds like my work.:lol:

Well maybe this is the start of something. It sounds like Zoaelite metioned doing something when he opens up his frag tank.

At some point later in the summer I would not mind hosting a "come by and have a beer BS about stuff & frag swap meet" event. I would do it sooner but there is a 500 sq. ft hole in my back yard that the weather will not allow me to adress.

Maybe September after everyone is back in town after summer holidays.

The other option is to just say "meet at this bar/restaurant/coffee shop" and whoever shows up does.

Andrew

abcha0s
06-16-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm back from holidays at the beggining of July, I'm thinking around the 10th or so If we can muster it this quickly?

The following weekend might work even better :smile:

bryceschutte
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM

I say Lets do It! Even if its quick and dirty and only a few of us can get together the first time. I personally am not at the frag level yet but would just love to meet fellow reefers.

zoa Elite, If your willing to host the first one then tell us where and when and what you want us to bring. Chips, pop, frags?

:multi:Zoa, Zoa, Zoa, Zoa, Zoa!:multi:

Thats me cheering for Zoa as motivation!!!!!!

p.s. Dont let this stop you but I am out of commission from June 22nd untill July 1st. Going under the Knife! :laluot_14: ( LOL, that animated pic is so wrong)

abcha0s
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I propose the afternoon of Saturday July 17th??

bryceschutte
06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I propose the afternoon of Saturday July 17th??
+1. I should be more healed by then.

fishoholic
06-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Andrew

That's what we Edmontonians do. Once a month (usually the 1st Sunday of the month) we go to Montana's around 1pm. We sit, eat, drink and enjoy fish talk. There is usually a few of us who always go and then some new people on different months join in the fun.

bryceschutte
07-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Come on everyone. this thread was goingt so good. All kinds of interest. I am available to do this anytime still. I will even offer up my own house if I need to. The downfalls of my house is no drinking and my tank is new and boring! Who's going to start the trend?

lastlight
07-11-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm in Deer Ridge. Count me in for a casual meetup...not sure I can bring any leadership because I'm fairly lame and pathetic at the moment :biggrin:

ColinD
07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Mac Towne for me,

Colin

Palmer
07-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Strathcona here, count me in for a meet up. I'm still a newb just growing out current frags but would be in for a get together.

Palmer

meenamjah
07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm totally up for one as well

bryceschutte
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
How can we create a poll to see first of all what day of the week works best for everyone? Then another poll to pick the date. Am I doing this at my house? Remember, no drinking, and crappy tank.

Douglas
07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm in Elgin. Doug

tinman
07-13-2010, 02:18 AM
How can we create a poll to see first of all what day of the week works best for everyone? Then another poll to pick the date. Am I doing this at my house? Remember, no drinking, and crappy tank.

so tomorrow is tuesday and according to the poll its a good time so where are we meeting......................tomorrow at say 700 pm? i could bring some pulsing xenia if anyone needs any my other stuff isnt quite ready yet.

bryceschutte
07-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Are we having it at your house? I appreciate the enthusiasum but let's plan at least a week ahead of time. Plus only me and you have said Tuesday is good so far. And I am in the hospital. So that just leaves you haha. What about next week Tuesday?

Palmer
07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I noticed the poll does not allow for Sunday? Is this for religous reasons? If so we should probably take Saturday out too! :lol:

abcha0s
07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
<polls don't show up in Tapatalk - I see it now>

I'd definitly like to participate, but it would be nice if someone put forward a proposed time and place?

- Brad

bryceschutte
07-19-2010, 02:06 AM
I noticed the poll does not allow for Sunday? Is this for religous reasons? If so we should probably take Saturday out too! :lol:

It's my poll. I'll decide. Lol. If anyone is offended by having Saturday in the poll but not Sunday, pm me.

DiverDude
07-19-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm in Thorncliffe (NW) but I'll drive a bit to hang out with similarly deranged individuals.

I kinda like the idea of a standing day of the month and a specific meeting place. This makes it easy to plan for. Somewhere with beer would be good.

ok.....somewhere with beer is essential. :lol:

Gaffer
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't roll on Shobbos

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/nastrond667/walter.jpg

abcha0s
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I'd really like to see this happen. Here's my proposal.

On the first Wednesday of every month, we do a tank tour. One member steps up and agrees to an "open house" for other members to come and chat about his tank. Timing would be something like 7-9pm but would be at the descretion of the member hosting the invite.

Once every three months, on the second Saturday of the month, we have a frag swap. This is a slightly longer event, probably something like 1pm - 6pm but again is at the descretion of the member hosting the invite. The host can decide if beer is appropriate (BYOB) and whether he wants to offer hot dogs on the bbq or something like that.

I pick Saturday for three reasons:

1) Most people want Sunday for family time (whether relegious or just hanging out).
2) Having a frag meet during the evening seems a little problematic. I think more time is needed?
3) If we don't just pick a day, it will never happen.

Initially, we will not do the "tank tour" and the "frag meet" in the same month. Therefore, if there is a frag meet that month, it can be assumed the tank tour will not be taking place.

I would ask if there are any members in Calgary that would step up to own this initiative. Responsability would fall on them until such time as they find someone else to take over. I don't really want to do this.

However - if no one else wants to own this, then I will do it. If there is support, then I can make this happen. As a fall back, I can offer my house for the first tank tour or the first frag swap.

The organizer, whether me or someone else, would be responsible for arranging with another member each month for the appropriate event (and ensuring that an event takes place!).

At this point, I have a two very simple questions.

1) Yes or No.
2) Are there any volunteers to own this, or do you want me to do it?

- Brad

abcha0s
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
BTW - This no longer applies to the Calgary SE/SW - Anyone who is in driving distance of Calgary would be welcome.

DiverDude
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I like it.

I have a suggestion though. While These are great ideas (tank tour, frag swap), might I suggest that these be in addition to a regular (once a month ?) meet at a restaurant or pub ?

Why ? Well, it means that no one has to own that task (or clean up after !). A reminder would go out on CanReef a few days to a week prior and people pipe-up as to whether they are going or not so you know you won't be there alone.

Then, tank tours and/or frag swaps can be added to the schedule when and where someone is willing to organize them. Personally, I think once a regular group starts meeting then willingness to organize/host tours and swaps will increase.

I'm trying to think of a suitable venue <scratches head>....thinking perhaps something just off Deerfoot; more or less central north-south wise; needs to have reasonable space available -preferably with movable tables to easily accomodate different group sizes- and has BEER !!! (mmmm.....beer.)

xtreme
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I have a suggestion though. While These are great ideas (tank tour, frag swap), might I suggest that these be in addition to a regular (once a month ?) meet at a restaurant or pub ?

I was going to suggest this as well. The folks in Edmonton and Vancouver have monthly meets, I'm sure us reefers here in Calgary could come up with something that works. And yes, beer is always a good thing to have around.

Maybe we should start a new thread discussing this?

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Maybe we should start a new thread discussing this?

Errr.....aren't we discussing it now ? :biggrin:

xtreme
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes, but the title of the thread is "Who is in the SE/SW". I just figured making a new thread with a title mentioning something about monthly reef meetings might work better. The first 40 some posts in this thread don't talk about a central meeting place, and I'm sure there may be others interested who aren't necessarily following this thread.

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Good point !

(I'll shut up now)

Gaffer
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I like the idea of of tank tours and frag swaps and would be more than willing to host one in the future once things from the summer settle down.

I think what we should do is put up a seperate thread with a public place ie. pub or restaurant to break the ice. Someplace in Deerfoot Meadows may work as it has good access from all areas of the city.

If I get a seconder I will put up the thread for all of Calgary to come.

Andrew

coolhandgoose
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Just noticed this thread, I'm in Bridlewood, noticed lots of others are too.

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
If I get a seconder I will put up the thread for all of Calgary to come. Andrew

I'll second that.:second:

lastlight
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I think the restaurant idea is pretty cool and I'd def try to make a few of those.

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
How about the Boston Pizza right around Deerfoot Meadows ? Food is nothing to write home about but I think it'd do.

Anyone know of some dive that makes awesome pizza ?

Other suggestions ?

Gaffer
07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
How about the Boston Pizza right around Deerfoot Meadows ? Food is nothing to write home about but I think it'd do.

Anyone know of some dive that makes awesome pizza ?

Other suggestions ?

I am a big fan of BP's, but with that said it is a big place that is not too busy on a week night so we could take over either the restaurant or lounge on a week night.

Andrew

fishytime
07-21-2010, 03:01 AM
*feels a little like a left out loser northerner*:mrgreen:

Wingin It
07-21-2010, 03:17 AM
*feels a little like a left out loser northerner*:mrgreen:

i'm in the North too...do we start our own meeting up here now too?? LOL j/k!!!

Palmer
07-21-2010, 04:07 AM
I don't roll on Shobbos

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/nastrond667/walter.jpg

Agreed!

http://www.youknow-forkids.com/images/biglebowski/biglebowski109.jpg