PDA

View Full Version : Mg and SG

Delphinus
06-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Adding enough Mg to my water change water bumps the SG up two points. Ie., if I make it 1.025 then adjust the Mg I end up with 1.027.

I figure the TDS making up that 1.025 is better off there so I leave it like this instead of using less salt.

What do others do?

mark
06-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Add IO to 1.025 then the Ca and Mg. Final mix ends up at 1.026.

lastlight
06-12-2010, 04:27 AM
To be honest I haven't adjusted my water. I found the reef crystals levels are great and consistent. I just made sure when figuring out my daily doses to test levels a week apart a day after my weekly water change both times. I thought this way whatever my water change params are (i know they're really good anyways) they are accounted for in my daily dose.

As far as SG...drops from 1.025 to 1.024 by the end of the week usually and I mix my fresh stuff to 1.026 and so far so good it's all been balancing out.

Tony what salt are you using? my reef crystals test just a touch high for ca, and ideal for dkh and mg.

Dez
06-12-2010, 04:39 AM
I've never really tested. My salinity seems consistent all the time at 1.026 even when I dump in 1/2 kg of Mg at once. Interesting to not though.

whatcaneyedo
06-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I generally add 1 cup of mg salt (magnesium sulfate + magnesium chloride) to 27gal of RO water and then enough aquarium salt (about 6 cups) to bring it up to 1.025.

Buzz
06-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Is there any temp change from when you test the salinity before and after you add the mag? I didn't think mag had any affect on salinity. Maybe mix up a batch of ro water and add mag to it and see if the salinity changes (salt in your mag)?

Doug
06-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Adding enough Mg to my water change water bumps the SG up two points. Ie., if I make it 1.025 then adjust the Mg I end up with 1.027.

I figure the TDS making up that 1.025 is better off there so I leave it like this instead of using less salt.

What do others do?

Tony, you add the mg. last? I have no idea what it does to mine. The magnesium and calcium go into the fresh water, mix for awhile, then 2 cups salt. {5g salt bucket mix}. 1.026 every
time.

hillegom
06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Tony, you add the mg. last? I have no idea what it does to mine. The magnesium and calcium go into the fresh water, mix for awhile, then 2 cups salt. {5g salt bucket mix}. 1.026 every
time.

Doug, what brand of salt do you use? How much Mg and how much Ca do you add to 5 gals?
Thanks

Doug
06-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Doug, what brand of salt do you use? How much Mg and how much Ca do you add to 5 gals?
Thanks

Instant Ocean.

I broke this down from what Ben, {chemmaster}, figured for his large mixing tub.

23g mix,
150ml magnesium
3tsp calcium

Add to fresh water and mix for a few hours, {originally overnight but found a few hours works as well}, then add salt mix.

So far when following this my magnesium has stayed at app. 1400ppm. No need for additional. I change 5g/week on my 30g, and when it WAS sps. I usually drip kalk when I get around to it, but that was the only other calcium source and mine stays at 420ppm. I followed a similar tactic on my 90g with still 5g water changes, when my sps actually did grow. I will do the same for my 30g sps cube I,m currently working on.

I imagine a tank full of sps, clams and coralline, all consuming calcium would need additional calcium supplement but I,m hoping only kalk will do the job.

5g mix, {mine},
37ml magnesium
3/4tsp calcium

Follow same mixing procedure.

littlesilvermax
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I am of the belief that mixing the magnesium and calcium (if used) in the water first is the best idea.

Then add the salt.

Doug
06-13-2010, 02:00 AM
I am of the belief that mixing the magnesium and calcium (if used) in the water first is the best idea.

Then add the salt.

and I can say I have followed that advice and never a problem. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
I do add the Mg and Ca first (after bringing the RO/DI to temperature), but I add amounts that I determined some time ago that would raise a bucket of 24g, already at 1.025 for salinity, to bring Mg to 1400 and Ca to 380. (I retest for determining the amounts added for every new box of bucket too.) It's 30ml of Ca crystals (from Ben), and 15 scoops of 15ml of Mg crystals (also from Ben). It raises that 24g another two points so I end up at 1.027 unless I use a cup less salt. I use IO and I find I don't need to adjust for Alk at all these days.

So my question is - since I add the Mg and Ca first, is it better to add enough salt to make it 1.025 or should I add the same amount of salt that I would have added before if I had not dosed any Ca or Mg?

I've tried other salt mixes and the truth is that every brand - every brand - I found eventually needed adjusting for at least one of the big 3 (Ca, Alk, Mg). This is what pushed me back to IO. If I'm going to test for big 3, and adjust them anyhow, then I'm buying the most cost effective salt. The difference in cost for the additives is far far less than the premium you pay for the upgraded salt mixes. Ie., I might spend $10 more in additives over the year but I'll save >$100 on salt over that year. Anyhow a little off topic tangentially, so enough about that .. The real question is, add Ca and Mg, and salt to 1.025 and stop there?

PoonTang
06-13-2010, 04:21 AM
SG is what you want so you need to stop when you get to 1.025 including your additives. That is unless you want your tank to be at 1.027. The SG of the ocean is 1.025 with all of its additives included so ideally we are aiming for that.

Delphinus
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Well ... I sort of agree with that and I sort of disagree, which is why I ask. The ocean may be 1.025 but TDS is not a generic homogenous "thing", any kind of trace element will affect TDS and thus SG and the "composition/make-up" might be totally different. If IO was intended for example to mix at 1.025 but has Mg less than what I want, adding less IO theoretically means less "other stuff" (other than Mg) which might be negligible or it might be detrimental. That's where I'm not sure and was wondering what others are doing.

StirCrazy
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
are you not getting 380 Ca out of your IO? I always did, weird. anyways split the differance.. do your additives, then mix in salt to 1.026 I always went to 26, over 25.
'
Steve

Delphinus
06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I'll have to check my notes to be sure where it was testing out at for me (queue Indiana Jones's Sean Connery/Dr Henry Jones Sr. "I wrrrote it doon so I wouldn't HAVE to rememberrrr.") but all I remember that was I add two 15ml scoops of Ca to make it "perfect."

I'm tempted to split the difference. That's kind of what I've been doing anyhow (I either split it or alternate it between water changes) but was still wondering what others do. Even to stop it at 1.025 which would have been 1.023 before adding the the other stuff, 1.023 is well within tolerances anyhow.

StirCrazy
06-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Tony, are you running a Ca reactor? or Kalk?

Steve

Delphinus
06-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Kalk on one tank, automated dosing into the other.

StirCrazy
06-14-2010, 04:45 AM
so why are you worring about Ca on small water changes? or are they significant?

Steve

Delphinus
06-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Stability mostly. Figure if I make my water change water the same as my target levels then it's somehow "more better" than not.. I dunno, it's not like I realistically notice a difference doing it this way and not having done it though.