PDA

View Full Version : MH question

schroedel
06-12-2010, 02:56 AM
My new Icecap reef illuminations came in!! . I currently have 440wt VHO's going on my tank and really got the RI fixture for the new 110gal bowfront comming Mon. I will not be setting that tank up for awile. I cant wait that long to see what this fixture is all about so want to put it on my existing tank. The tank has alot of softies in it.Will they fry? I have never had MH before.Start with the Halides on for an hour each day and add an hour every couple of days? :confused:

whatcaneyedo
06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Either do what you are thinking and slowly increase the photoperiod or raise your lights up and slowly move them down over several days and you wont light shock your coral. Some people also use types of light filtering screen in layers between their lights and the top of their tank then gradually remove layers every couple of days.

Some soft coral actually do better under very intense lighting (ex Xenia) while others no longer expand as much and will appear to shrink a bit (ex mushrooms).

schroedel
06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Either do what you are thinking and slowly increase the photoperiod or raise your lights up and slowly move them down over several days and you wont light shock your coral. Some people also use types of light filtering screen in layers between their lights and the top of their tank then gradually remove layers every couple of days.

Some soft coral actually do better under very intense lighting (ex Xenia) while others no longer expand as much and will appear to shrink a bit (ex mushrooms).
Thank you. I will prob. try to set it up tonite,If i can lift it.:lol: