PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a new tank size

Ross
06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey,

I'm looking at upgrading my 33 Gallon tank to something a bit bigger... yeah didnt see that one comming...

So the constraints are that it has to be 36" wide, as I dont have the room or the funds for much more than that right now.
Lighting will be my existing 4 bulb Odyssey T5 HO fixture.

Naturally the bigger the better, but what Depth and Height would you go with and why?

I'm debating between a 50 gallon (36w x 18d x 18t) and 65 gallon (36w x 18d x 24t)

Are 4 T5s enough to light a 24" deep tank or am I better off with an 18" deep tank?

I prefer tall tanks, but that only works for fuzzy sticks if you have an abundance of light.

Currently I house a bunch of basic sps, 6"-10" under the surface of the water and they seem to be alright, but if they drop another few inchs im not so sure that they will grow as much as i need them to.

I'll post pics of the existing tank later tonight.

Thanks,

mseepman
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, your question really depends on a few more things than what you've listed.

Are you getting it custom built or will it be a standard tank?
If custom, then you are better off looking at increasing the depth of the tank (for both looks and ease of work-ability) than the height as the lighting becomes a bigger problem for the fuzzy sticks when you only use T5s and go higher.

Given that you live in Calgary and are doing this on a tight budget, take a look at Bow valley or Source Aquatics and see what they may have available to you. It might give you some more ideas than what you've looked at already.

blacknife
06-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I had a 33 and could not stand it

i upgraded to a 40b used cuz it was there and the price was right.

i like the footprint,

i think your 50 is probably 21 high as my 40b has the same dimensions as that 50.

i have a 6 bulb t5ho and my sps are growing ok, not great but I'm still new at it. I don't think a 4 bulb would really work for sps in the long term, but why not get the tank you want and upgrade the lighting when you can afford too.

If I had to stay with a 36 tank i personally would go with 36x24 or 36x36 18-20 inches high.... perhaps 20high rimless only filled to 18 and upgrade the lights but i like the deep look of that kind of tank.

tang daddy
06-11-2010, 01:48 AM
50g breeder is a good size 36x18x18 although you could probally add 2 more t5 to the new tank, just keep the old light and add 2 more retrofits....

under t5 the sps can grow pretty good up to 10in depending on wattage, I believe your light fixture is at least 39w per bulb??

then you can have softies at the bottom. I did this awhile back but found it to be not enough space so I upgraded to a comfty 75g!

Starry
06-11-2010, 01:51 AM
how bout a 70 gal oceanic? 36x18x24

BlueWorldAquatic
06-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Always get the Biggest you can afford, the tank is the cheap part.

or get the tank that best fits where you want it placed.

Ken - BWA

Ross
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Well I'm going with the 36wide, 18 deep, 24 tall. Aproximatly 67 gallons
I'm going this way for a few reasons
More likely then not, when I decide to upgrade later, I can reuse this tank for a few of my discus (they prefer taller tanks)
Visually it will fill the space better than a 18" tank.

Now for the next task, where would you put an internal overflow?
I havent tried to aquascape with internal overflows, but for the stand and location, I'm thinking that the rear left will be where I go.
I dont rally like the idea of an external overflow since the back of the tank would then have to be away from the wall further, and its in a high visability spot.

Thoughts opinions, do's and don'ts, etc?

mseepman
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I have that tank and unfortunately, right now I use an siphon overflow as I've never had the tank drilled.

Good tank size...I think you'll be happy you went with the biggest you could get at the moment.