PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Mushroom Too Close To Zoa's??

infamous
06-10-2010, 05:21 AM
I bought a second hand tank about 8 months ago and with it came a hairy mushroom. The mushroom is growing quite fast and it looks nice and healthy. I bought a couple of zoa frags a few months ago and they were doing quite nicely as well. About 3 weeks ago, the hairy mushroom has become increasingly closer to the frags, and now they have virtually disappeared. I haven't added any new fish or inverts recently, and haven't had a problem with anything eating the frags either. Would the hairy mushroom be "stinging" the zoa's at all? Would the mushroom growth be affecting the growth of the zoa's growth? Any input is appreciated!

trinac
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I am not sure, but I had a really nice ricordea fall into a hairy mushroom in my tank. Lets just say the ricordea didn't fair too well... yuck. So, I'd say probably? Could be tank parameter too I guess, or lighting.

freddy
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a buddy with hairy mushrooms they took over his tank,zoos and everything,I have a few but keep them in the sand away from everything.

Namnuta
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
My Hairy Mushrooms keep my GSP at bay. So i would say yes, the hairy mushrooms are probably stinging your Zoa`s.

dreef
06-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Yup the infamous hairy shroom will kill almost anything.What comes from experiance is frogspawn and acros for sure,they pack a punch.

blacknife
06-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I had a a couple nice expensive newly cut zoo frags fall off their glue and disappear

around the same time there were 3 burn holes almost all the way through a large rodadactis mushroom and it took a week or so to recover.

i don't think they like each other :)

same mushrooms almost instantly melted candy cane coral and weaker but nice looking bright red disco mushrooms.

George
06-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Mushrooms, hairy or not, will kill your zoa's any time of the day. Mushrooms not only sting zoa'ss to death, they also cover zoa's so there is no light for zoa's.