PDA

View Full Version : taking down system

BCReefer
11-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I have been thinking about taking down my system as i live in a condo and space is limited. What can i do with my rock if i do? i don't expect to put the system back up for a couple of years. Should i sell the stuff or keep it?

martym
11-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't think you can store LR. It wouln't be live anymore, it would still be usefull as base rock in the future IMO. I personally would think you would be better off selling it (live rock is worth more than base rock) Sorry to hear you are shutting down. Could you not go Nanno? If you are short of space, a 10 gallon doesn't use much room :lol:

Bob I
11-08-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't think you can store LR. It wouln't be live anymore, it would still be usefull as base rock in the future IMO. I personally would think you would be better off selling it (live rock is worth more than base rock) Sorry to hear you are shutting down. Could you not go Nanno? If you are short of space, a 10 gallon doesn't use much room :lol:

I totally agree. You could easilly do a 10 gallon nano, and still get a lot of joy, but not nearly the expense. :eek:

StirCrazy
11-09-2003, 02:34 AM
if you are serious about putting togeather a tank a few years down the road. pick your nicer chunks of rock (or if it is all nice then all of it) and let it dry. then store it for future use. all it would need is 10LBs or new stuff to seed it and you will have live rock again with out spending all that money to buy new stuff.

Steve

Quinn
11-09-2003, 05:54 AM
Sell the rock, help cut down on LR imports, find nice base rock when you set up a new tank... no point in having it sitting around.

Dorkel Marine 1
11-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Dido on Steves suggestion. If anything it would be like base rock but with a little kick to it. A little seed rock and away ya go. If its room your thinkin about then keep half of it and save a reef somewhere in Figi. This stuff is expensive.

George

Silverfish
11-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Yup, I just tore down my 60g and kept all the rock for future use..about 60lbs of it. It's sitting on my deck right now, at least the smell isn't so bad any more!

One_Divided
11-13-2003, 01:31 AM
I would sell it and buy new rock down the road.. Yes you can seed it with new rock in the future, but a tank will take a lot longer to mature. Also, if you set up again with no dsb (which everyone seems to be doing now) you will need something reliable to convert nitrates in the early development of the tank.. Just what I would do anyways..

Although, on the other side, I wouldn't even consider selling live rock. I don't think it will be all that cheap for that many more years. I think it's a good investment to hold on to it. If I shut down a system, I would keep my live rock alive in a temp tank.

-Adam

Silverfish
11-13-2003, 03:36 AM
Unless you had flatworms.. like I did!

Son Of Skyline
11-13-2003, 03:39 PM
I would sell it and buy new rock in the future. It would just be a shame to kill all the life on your rock :frown:

StirCrazy
11-14-2003, 01:35 AM
I would sell it and buy new rock in the future. It would just be a shame to kill all the life on your rock :frown:

the problem with this is at best you will get 2.00/lb for used rock. who know how much we will be paying in the future.. could be a rock import ban for all we know.

Steve