PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand, Live Rock

incoma
11-08-2003, 07:33 PM
What do these term define exactly. Live as in creature infested or live in bacteria infested. Combination of the two?
Anyone who has made there liverock how much did you use to seed it. How long did it take to seed. Are you seeding it for bacteria or for critters.
Same for livesand can I add a detrivore kit or just get some to seed from another local reefer. Where locally would be good to seed my rock if I make some. Should I buy 5 pounds from each store for diversity. What about sand. How can you tell if rock is good you want lots of colour, critters, lifeforms, or porous dense.
Could I just buy a box of base rock from where? and seed it or do I need all Live from the beginning

Quinn
11-08-2003, 08:00 PM
In my display tank I started out with 70lbs of live rock and 150lbs of base rock, and something like 300lbs of aragonite sand (no live sand). After six months, all the rocks looks the same and the sand is most certainly live. "Live" rock will eventually seed "dead" sand.

As far as what this means, I think the key is bacteria. In my opinion what you are looking for is a combination of bacteria, worms and pods. Live rock should come with enough pods of various types to establish a healthy population, same with worms. The bacteria is inevitable, I expect even putting a single snail or something in a tank with just dead sand and base rock in it would eventually cause everything to become "live".

Live rock will also come with various crustaceans, molluscs and algaes, even the occasional eel.

Skimmerking
11-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Well i have made about 70 lbs of rock, after 3 months its covered better with coraline then the fiji i received from Doug. Mined you its looking great. The worms have found lots of hiding places like never before i feed at night and the worms comes out everwhere , Its not going to matter it will seed depending on how much patience you have and having a
REEF tank is all about PATIENCE.

Dont get me wrong but the more you have the faster it will seed..

Mike