PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here: need help choosing a HOB skimmer

Sumfingwong
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey all,

I recently cleared out my 65g freshwater tank (more like my fahaka puffer died) So I am thinking about going salt.

I went to the Elite Aquatics and they mentioned that I should use the aqua medic turboflotor. He mentioned that his was a 1000 HOB, but I couldnt find it online. The link below didnt say if it was a 1000.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18489/si1379554/cl0/aquamedicturboflotormultihangonwithpump

Or Golds has the Remora Pro. Both was quoted to be the same price.

Which one would you guys choose?

Thanks!

viperfish
06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
The Turboflotor Multi is a very good skimmer. The Remora Pro has got mixed reviews but I personally have had good luck with it, my only complaint was the noise. You will find that the number of skimmers out there to choose from is mesmerizing. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good skimmer. Make sure you check out all the brands available and research as much as you can before buying. If you google a skimmer you will almost always find a review with real experiences to help with your decision.

viperfish
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Forgot to mention, of the two you listed I would go with the Aqua Medic simply because it is more versatile (can be used in sump or HOB), better build quality, and you don't have the monster skimmer box like the Aqua C needs to run efficiently.

gobytron
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
If you can, get a deltec HOB.
They are consistently very well reviewed and one of the mostpowerful HOB skimmers out there....
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=DD-P0600E

all personal opinion of course...
I have used Red Sea Prizm skimmers in the past with great success and they are pretty cheap by modern standards....

viperfish
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
+1 on the Deltec, very nice. Definitely the no fail way to go.

mseepman
06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I've had really good luck with my AquaMedic Turboflotor Blue 1000 which is a HOB or in-sump unit that is different from the regular 1000 model. I think Wai's carries it in Calgary but I'm not sure of his pricing.

I got mine from Aquacave (shipping no problem to Canada) for a reasonable $179. It's been rock solid and only uses 12W of power. I had to make a silencer for it with a pill bottle but that was just because I wanted less noise from my sump.

Veng68
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I've heard some good things about the new CPR Aeroskimmer. Improvement on the Bakpak.

Never actually used one though

Cheers,
Vic

Sumfingwong
06-09-2010, 12:12 AM
EDIT: Answered my own question :)

BlueWorldAquatic
06-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Other good choices for a tank that size is;

Octopus Extreme 800S Hang-On
Deltec MCE-300 Protein Skimmer
Tunze DOC.

Ken - BWA

bvlester
06-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Of the two you are looking at I would get the Aqua Medic much better skimmer and more versatile.

I have had very good results with my Aqua Medic and would not use any other I have tried many others and believe that the T1000 is the most versatile and best priced considering the Deltec is some thing like $600.00. The Aqua Medic does take a bit to settle down and break in but well worth it. You should get one of the new T1000-blue they are the new model and seem to work well and have a drain hole to hook up a tube so you can drain directly in to a larger container this maybe handy when breaking the skimmer in. Mine pulls really dark black skim you could use for ink if you could get around the smell it would make for a really good Halloween trick on someone take an old style fountain pen fill with skim and give it as a present. LOL warning using this pen will not get you any extra Friends removing the smell is not an option.
I am kind of partial to the Aqua Medic products they have been around along time.
Bill

Skimmerking
06-09-2010, 03:46 AM
IME the Deltec 300/500 600 is the best bang don't skimp on the skimmer... and Deltec 600 has a built in (no wife yelling at reefer man) MOD

the over flow pipe from the collection cup to back into the skimmer.

Edmonton newbie
06-09-2010, 03:48 AM
i have the RO 800s wow i really like it