PDA

View Full Version : overskimming???

fiorano
06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
so i am now upgrading my mantis tank to a 30 gallon with a 20 gallon or possibly 10 gallon sump. i was thinking about buying a tunze 9002 skimmer or something but nor sure if this would be enough. i already have a euroreef rs135 in my basement i havent used in a loooong time ha ha. does anyone thing that is a possible option or is that way to overkill for this system?????

no_bs
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm running a rs 135 on about 60g, and it does wonders. You can never over skim. Rule of thumb is to get a skimmer for double your system volume. HTH

sphelps
06-08-2010, 07:31 PM
You can over skim depending on what you're keeping. It's always better to have something on the larger size since most skimmers are under rated but overkill isn't always a good thing.

I run my skimmer on a half duty cycle overnight as running it 24-7 was causing problems.

On the tank size in question I wouldn't even run a skimmer, the volume is too small. Weekly water changes will be more than adequate.

untamed
06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm a big believer in skimming...but on a 30 gallon mantis only tank, I don't think it is very important.

gobytron
06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
agree with untamed...
though great water quality never hurt anything...

One thing about mantis' is they are too much fun to feed, so with your rs135 in there you would be able to feed more with fewer h20 changes.

Seamazter
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I was always a believer that overskimmin reduced alot of needed things.
Trace elements, iodide etc.
I don't know why but i just always thought that was true.

Wayne
06-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah Seamazter, Skimming does remove a lot of the essential things in the water the same as activated carbon. Just means more test kits and additives to keep levels up to where they need to be :neutral:

I am skimming my 29G, but my particular corals need PERFECT water conditions, water changes just wern't do it for me... So just means more maintinence time with the tank is all.