PDA

View Full Version : stoping vibrations on submersiable pump in sump

Milad
06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Anyone got some ideas/links kicking around on stopping vibrations on a submersible pump? its got the little suction cups but its vibrating through the sump.

Im thinking of putting a few zap straps together and hanging it just barely off the bottom so its not touching the sump.

ideas appreciated!

BlueWorldAquatic
06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Maybe check the pump and clean it out. Small grains of sand can affect the pumps rotation causing the vibration.

Ken

lastlight
06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Even tho Eheims technically run virtually silent I have never gotten ANY of them NEAR silent when they are contacting the bottom in any way. I've always suspending them by zip-tying the power cord to something and hanging them from that. You can't really tell they're on after that.

kien
06-08-2010, 05:12 PM
my magdrive pumps come with a 1/2" thick piece of foam that is stickered to the bottom of the pump that dampens a lot of vibration. I carried this design over to other pumps that I'm using in the sump and simply wrap them in foam with a rubber band. The foam is like a thick spongy material (on the magdrive). For my other pumps I got foam sheets from Michaels.

Parker
06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I've heard of people using mouse pads to dampen vibration. I'm not sure if they are "reef safe" though. I would imagine some are.

Ron99
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I use some neoprene cut from an old wetsuit as a pad. Made a big difference.

lastlight
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
if you're patient you could very easily make feet out of silicone like on the BK skimmers. Just need to make a few molds. Although...you could just squirt 4 blobs down and let them fry. Attaching them might be trickier.

Milad
06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
what about a piece of this stuff:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=cl-ambl19
anyone tried it?

kien
06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
You don't want to use anything too porous otherwise it will collect gunk and become a nitrate factory, unless you don't mind taking it out and rinsing it often. That stuff looks really porous to me. It does look like a sweet vibration reducer though :-)

Bloodasp
06-08-2010, 11:47 PM
My pump is hangging a few centimeters above the bottom pane only held by the pvc pipe.

trilinearmipmap
06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
1. Closed-cell foam (the same as for a backpacking mattress) underneath the sump.

2. Closed-cell foam underneath the return pump.

3. Connect the return pump to the pvc pipe with a length of flexible hose.

My Mag 12 return pump has been silent this way for years.

bkelly
06-09-2010, 01:13 AM
I used that stuff from J& L mentioned above - its very porous and a medium hard plastic sorta mesh - works well as a bulkhead to deflect/disrupt water flow from say a skimmer outport or beneath falling water - its quite thick.

Seamazter
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Ive had good lluck with those exercise mats, the interlocking kind.
They look like the same things swimming pool toys are made from.
Anyways my ocean runner 6500 was always noisy till i used that foam under it.
Also i found moving it further away from the sump sides made a big difference.
the sides amplified the sound.

fiorano
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I had an issue with this and just covered the bottom of the pump with silicone. Now I sleep right beside it and its fine :)

zeddy
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
i use neoprene from an old pair of my waders