PDA

View Full Version : eeek.....

Cameron
06-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Ever since this move to the mainland my tank is not happy, nor are my inhabitants.

Currently PH way to high 8.4+ alk 4, calc 440

Need to raise alk and lower ph.....water change?

bvlester
06-08-2010, 07:01 AM
I have a hard time keeping my PH above 8.12 alk is at 9.6 dkh and ca is between 400 - 440 may alk is a bit high but not much some salts have higher and some lower so I am ok at 9.6. I would check your tape water and get some crushed coral sand in there this will help buffer the PH a bit. oyster shells work also put some in your sump after making sure they are clean and sterile.

Bill

whatcaneyedo
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
What is wrong with 8.4+? I've always read that the recommended high limit is 8.5 Is your alkalinity in meq/lt or dkh? If its in meq/lt its fine. In dkh that is really low and doesn't make much sense.

Are you using a test kit or a probe to test your pH? If its a probe, how old is it and when was the last time it was calibrated? Have you double checked your pH with multiple kits/probes? Why do you even monitor your pH?... seriously, the only reason I do is because I run a calcium reactor and kalkwasser reactor which can both have potentially negative effects on my pH if something goes wrong. For the rest of the population its unnecessary in my opinion.

This might help too
High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

JonT
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I would worry about stable first.

If it is stable at that level, then start looking to make changes. I would start with a couple water changes, then tweak it as your tank needs.

bvlester
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Hay Cameron I don't know about you but PH monitoring has allot to do with the industry it is a good indicator as to what is happening in your tank. IF it goes to high you can start to loss fish as they have to work harder with the higher PH level too acidic. what is your salinity at?

Bill