PDA

View Full Version : Who Should I use to Ship Corals?

Eb0la11
06-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey guys, so I am going to be shipping some corals to Fort McMurray in the next little while. I was wondering what the best method to ship 5 corals would be and which delivery service?

How much approx do you think it would cost? Should I put it in one box? I'll follow a shipping corals thread to make sure I do it properly but just hoping for a little insight before I do it.

Dez
06-08-2010, 01:12 AM
I have shipped out about 70 frags this last week and everything made it but 5 frags. Those 5 frags didn't make it because Canada post didn't get it to the address by the guaranteed time and it went through 2 overnights before getting to the person. 5 out of 10 of thosefrags didn't make it, the other 5 are fine. I also shipped out one colony but that bag leaked (I triple bagged it - 2 fish store bags and then finally a zip lock and then a garbage bag around all the corals). it was because the Acro pierced it. The colony is fine though, some branches broken. But if I were to ship a colony again, I would rubber band it to a circular styrofoam to hang it upside down. The styrofoam would have to be larger than the coral so that it doesn't pierce the bag. The receiver suggested that the zip lock bag be used first (cause it's a thicker material than fish store bags). As for frags, I just double bagged them and tied them up. All corals were packed in a styrofoam box. I had to make custom sized boxed for the stuff I was shipping. I'm still really new to shipping. Canada post is really easy to deal with. I had to Fedex one box to a small town, that was the only way to get it there the next day because Canada post couldn't. Hopefully this helps.

Dez
06-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Oh yeah, you can just go to most shipping sites (eg canadapost.ca) and type in your postal code and the other postal code and just estimate a size of box and weight to get an idea what the shipping cost would be. 2 frags from Edmonton to Calgary is always around $10 next day. It was $99 to ship out about 19 frags to Weyburn, SK (the reason it was that much is because it's a really small town). Hope this helps.