PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas what I should put here?

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Any suggestions on what I should put in these areas high up? The rocks are probably about 3-4" from the surface. High light and very high flow. I don't really want to put your typical sps there since it wouldn't have room to grow. It just looks so bare on these peaks. Any ideas?

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/203tank3circled.jpg?6909

Samw
11-07-2003, 04:43 PM
A couple of clams?

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Hmm...that's an idea. Thanks for the suggestion Sam. Wouldn't the clams be bothered by the high flow though? I always thought clams liked less water movement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A couple of clams?

Samw
11-07-2003, 06:02 PM
3 or 4 Croceas (some Ultra Greens and Ultra Blues) up there would look awesome (but super expensive).

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/sep/shell/default.asp

"A unique protective mechanism

T. crocea has developed a very interesting way to protect itself from extremley strong water current and surge. Because it is found mainly in the shallow reef zone on brightly illuminated reef tops, it has developed a very strong byssal attachment (“foot”) — the strongest in all tridacnids — and has even learned to “bury” itself into solid limestone"

"Aquarium care

T. crocea has adapted to the upper portions of the reef and can stand quite strong and sudden changes in salinity or temperature compared with species from deeper reef habitats."

"Water motion and feeding

T. crocea can deal with strong water motion. Though it should not be constant, the strong water movement that is normally found in the upper portion of a reef tank near the surface does not adversely affect this species. Changes in temperature or pH also do not harm this clam as much as they do other species that come from deeper reef habitats with more stable water conditions. "

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks Sam. I think you're right. Couple clams up there would look nice :mrgreen:

I can't really think of anything else. There's probably too much light and current for polyps or softies...

Samw
11-07-2003, 07:10 PM
They do squirt water when you turn off the lights so make sure you don't have any TV's or water sensitive objects near the tank. Don't know if you have a canopy.

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Sam. I have an enclosed canopy but hopefully they won't squirt water onto my bulbs!

One_Divided
11-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Your tank is looking awesome! I can't say what to put up there, but definately something that fits the current and light profile. I have some pieces that only colour up awesome when they are right up.. There's a particular acro which I have seen a lot of frags of. I think I got my from wendell or mark (same frags anyways). Here's a pic.. I believe it's a. abrolhosensis. Also, I think milis would do great up there.. As long as current isn't too strong.

http://members.shaw.ca/limestone2/oct1503/oct2203-03.jpg

I have seen this stuff almost solid blue in super high light..[/img]

Son Of Skyline
11-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks Adam! The tank has really come along over the past 6 months. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like in another 6 months!

Problem with putting acropora up there is that I'm afraid they won't have much room to grow up before the tips reach the water surface. Do you have acros this high up? If so how does it look?

Your tank is looking awesome! I can't say what to put up there, but definately something that fits the current and light profile. I have some pieces that only colour up awesome when they are right up.. There's a particular acro which I have seen a lot of frags of. I think I got my from wendell or mark (same frags anyways). Here's a pic.. I believe it's a. abrolhosensis. Also, I think milis would do great up there.. As long as current isn't too strong.

One_Divided
11-07-2003, 11:23 PM
I have a couple that are hitting the surface.. they will flatten out a bit at the tips.. The problem is, if your water level drops, the tips will die off and host algae.. You could always frag though! Maybe some tables would be nice there?

Son Of Skyline
11-08-2003, 10:21 PM
I think I'll try to find some croceas and table acro frags (both seem hard to come by these days).

Anybody know of any softies or low growing, encrusting maybe, corals which would do well here?

kari
11-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Just my opinion but I think if you put clams up there all you will see is the side of the shell. Clams are a little pricey and look better when viewed from above. A cap will look great but shade areas below and again you will be viewing the underside of the color. I can't think of a good choice so if it was my task I would experiment with acro or other sps frags like a birds nest. They can always be trimmed and the new frags can be placed in my tank :biggrin:

Kari

kari
11-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Whoops.. color=coral

Samw
11-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Well, you can place the clam with the mantle facing the front of the tank like so. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.clamsdirect.com/phpbb2/showpage.php?pic_id=124