PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves

mnoll406
11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey everybody,
Just got some mangroves from Wai's. I put them in my refuge, and the leaves have promptly shrivelled up, and pretty much died. I have the actual plant above water, with the roots underwater. Wai's always has the whole plant underwater, and I think thats why the leaves dried up. Any thought's or comments on this? Another thing, I have my refuge on a 24hr light cycle, to stabilize pH, and reduce chance of caulerpa going in to the reproductive phase. Will this affect the mangroves in the future. I used to do agricultural research for Abbott labs, and our green house lighting system screwed up, and we had 24 hr daylight, and it really messed the plants up. Anybody know how this affects mangroves, will it just stress them, or kill them. Don't really want to change photoperiod, because the tanks been like this from the start, and don't know how it would effect the display tank. Any thoughts, observation, etc.

Mike

Delphinus
11-08-2003, 12:11 AM
I mist my mangroves several times per day. Basically whenever I walk by the tank. It took them forever to spout leaves for me and I wonder if it would have been quicker had I submerged them. It seems that the pods drying out is the risk you want to avoid. I have one pod that is almost completely dessicated above the waterline but below the waterline is still green and apparently still growing roots. Well .. it was when I checked last, that is. I try not to lift them or bump them because it seems to me they might be a bit sensitive to being moved around? Not sure if it's just me or if that's universal.

Eposer is the resident mangrove guru in Calgary maybe drop him a PM or something (or maybe he's lurking and can jump in now? :biggrin: )