PDA

View Full Version : Chaloupa's 10 foot build

Chaloupa
06-07-2010, 06:20 AM
I have a 150g 5 foot tank right now that is a nice looking SPS and LPS reef. In that tank I have an Achilles Tang (and other tangs). After seeing Marie's "Doofus" and reading quite a bit on them, I knew that an upgrade to a longer tank would make for better "tang ownership". So after a plea sent out that I wanted a longer tank, I got a PM regarding one for sale, THANK YOU Christy!!

We picked up the tank in Victoria where it was being used as a FW tank with a closed loop and undergravel system. The plan, or should I say the agreed upon plan with my husband was that we would run it fresh at our store, and invest in another tank for our SW pets at a later date :cry:. Boohoo for me. Well, needless to say after filling it, cycling it for FW with a truckload of Hagen "Cycle" and getting ready to add fish.....I WIN! My husband decided that maybe we should set it up salt water...I mean WHAT A FREAKIN WASTE OF A 10 FOOT LONG TANK:lol:..........so he emptied it! Removed the 6 buckets of JUST WASHED gravel and cleaned it out.

Now on to the project...we did have to have this tank put on a pedestal as the stand that it came with was really short...had we planned it better we would have just replaced the stand and made a new TALL one to accommodate sumps and skimmers...but we didn't and will now just have to deal with it. Also, the closed loop was run very oddly with 4 drains spaced evenly in the centre of the tank and a return in "back" corners. 2 drains are returned by a pump for each return. We couldn't do a box or anything around the drains either as they would REALLY stick out. If I were to do it over again, yep I would have just done a new stand, figured out a way to have the drains done, but I figured I wouldn't push it once my husband saw the light! hee hee.....

So here's the start. We have put it in front of a "treated" set of windows that don't get a blast of sunlight...but we wanted it to be seen from the outside and inside. (Luckily we have a TINY staff member that actually fits between the window and the tank:surprise:) Our plan is to run 2 Deltec MCE600 skimmers, possibly a calcium reactor that will be plumbed outside the tank, a pellet reactor and .... well that's most likely it ...... We will be putting all the cords along the back into a black hose so they are all hidden and just follow along the black tank trim. We will have a Wavebox from our home tank, a Vortech MP40 and a few other wave makers in the tank.

Our goal is to have a visually pleasing LPS and SPS, easy to maintain AWESOME Tang home! We don't have our lighting figured out yet, as it's 10 freaking feet long with 3 cross braces...but......We would like to incorporate our existing lighting into it....which is a 4 foot Hamilton with 2x400w and supplemental T12...our thoughts were to place that over the centre of the tank, then to have a 3 foot 6 bulb T5 fixture on each end...then it will still be centred looking and have enough light without having to purchase a whack more lighting. I would like a bit of input if possible.

I know, when you look at what could have been achieved and what I am making work you may shake your head........but my husband does NOT share the reefing addiction quite like I do! He changes water...and plumbs the odd tank....that's it.......

Here's a pic...the stand pedestal is not finished yet...it will match the upper half to a certain extent.....and it will look good, it will I say!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/worktank.jpg

Chaloupa
06-07-2010, 06:28 AM
To date we have;

filled with sand, added 1 LARGE bag of live sand, added 300ish gallons of aged salt water from our other tanks, added a small amount of live rock that is all cured, put in some Hagen Cycle (never done it with a SW tank before...what's the harm??) and put in a prawn to rot.

So 2 weeks in and all levels test normal. HUH? No really, we had an ammonia spike and such at first so I left the tank alone figuring I would check it out in a couple weeks to see if we hit the nitrite part of the cycle...and it appears our cycle is over? We had a nice diatom bloom which is also ... over..... Soooooo have added some Chromis to the tank...which are doing fabulously, and must think they are back in the ocean! Not sure what to make of the quick cycle other than I won't be adding anything else until it looks like it truly is stable...and maybe by then I will have my lighting figured out.

When it is up and running well, my own rock with corals aplenty attached will come down to this tank and slowly my 150g will be emptied.

Fish list/wish list;

ALREADY HAVE
5 Chromis
Spawning pair of Spotted Mandarins
Trio of Picasso Clownfish
Golden Dwarf Moray Eel
Achilles Tang
Chevron Tang
Hybrid Tang
Mimic Tang

WISH LIST
Orange Shoulder Tang
4-5 small yellow tangs
School of Anthias
A few gobies....

Probably that's it.....I will be on the lookout for some nice brain corals for the sand bed, and of course Zoa's as that is my biggest SW addiction....but otherwise it will be fairly stocked with what I already own...we do plan on keeping it lighter on LR so there is a ton of swimming room...we'll see though!

lockrookie
06-07-2010, 06:28 AM
lucky you wow this is going to be a great build im excited for you and will be watching in anticipation.

Chaloupa
06-07-2010, 06:31 AM
lucky you wow this is going to be a great build im excited for you and will be watching in anticipation.

thank you! There are several things I know I will regret later that I didn't do...but I wanted simple and quiet.....and working with what I had available!

lockrookie
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM
if you are worried about skimmer and sump make the skimmer external cut a hole in bottom of stand w/overflow tub made out of a wash basin may work for you and give you a bit more height for skimmer. just a thought. i wish my stand was higher as well and may be cutting out the bottom to add a deeper sump slowly getting tired of daily adding fresh water

Skimmerking
06-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Sarah right on ,however you dont need the shrimp in there since you put in the hagen cycle..

marie
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Doofus and I are jealous

fishoholic
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Congrats, 10 feet WOOOOHOOO!!!! Very exciting :biggrin:

Lance
06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Very nice Sarah! I know you had been looking for a larger tank for some time. Very happy for you. With your skills I know this tank will be terrific just like all your others. :biggrin:

christyf5
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Woohoo!! *jumpy claps*

This is so awesome!! It looks great so far, you just need a couple of low chairs so people can pull up to the tank to have a good look. Can't wait to see it full of fishy goodness!! :cool:

muck
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
*subscribed*

:mrgreen:

PoonTang
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
OHHH Sarah, that tank is just freekin gorgeous! I really like the stand. I think you should have put it in your Living Room tho ;) Excellent way to showcase out hobby up there. As for your lighting, if it were me I think I would go with 4 x 250w pendants. Cant wait for this build to take shape :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm joining the :mrgreen: jealous club on this. Awesome that you found a 10' tank in such good condition.

On another note, I don't think (based on my own experience with MCE600s) that 2 Deltec HOBs will be able to handle a tank that size, especially with your planned high bioload. The Deltecs have a rep for being the BEST hobs, but in part this is due to the poor performance of most other HOB skimmers.

For long-term ease of care, I would look at a proper in-sump skimmer setup. You could even do multiple sumps & skimmers if height (but not length) is an issue. One down pipe dividing into two sumps with 2 separate short skimmers and two return pumps combining into one return line back into the tank.

How many gallons is this monster tank anyways. My school of tangs would soooooo love this but my place is far too small for a tank this size:cry:

Anthony

Skimmerking
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I would go with something like a huge beckett to power clean that baby Sarah..

OH Ya I told you and LAURIE before ,
SIZE MATTER's:lol:

Skimmerking
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
oh ya CAN YOU SAY LIGHT RAIL 3 400's or 3 250's Im looking for some 400's i have some 250's to swap ya .

Chaloupa
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I hope I can do it proud!

In regards to sumps and skimmers.....there is no room in the stand which was a dilema I had to live with. We are thinking that an external skimmer may work if we can put it along side the tank. Otherwise we may just be stuck with a trio of Deltec HOB or something along those lines......but the stand is soooo short internally and divided up so that it's very load bearing that we were out of luck with sump ideas and such. Yep, we should have just built a new stand, but I was basically just getting it going with the "salt go ahead". And, we had no time to build a stand as moving this thing is HORRIFIC!

It's 300 gallons in total....

The cycle was soooo easy, that I just was a bit ... confused? I know how well Cycle works for FW tanks..and figured that I'd try it out! I'm just so used to the long boring cycle!!!

Regarding lighting....I totally NEED your input. I will post a pic of the centre bracing locations so you get a better idea of where all of this sits. I was trying to stay away from a bunch of halides due to heat and the hydro to run them (landlord already complains even though it's US paying the bill! LOL)

fishytime
06-07-2010, 11:00 PM
full of fishy goodness!! :cool:

"full of Fishy goodness":becky::twised:...............:tape2:............. ..........suppose I shouldnt defile Sarahs tank thread so early in its life

Thanks everyone! I hope I can do it proud!

In regards to sumps and skimmers.....there is no room in the stand which was a dilema I had to live with. We are thinking that an external skimmer may work if we can put it along side the tank. Otherwise we may just be stuck with a trio of Deltec HOB or something along those lines......but the stand is soooo short internally and divided up so that it's very load bearing that we were out of luck with sump ideas and such. Yep, we should have just built a new stand, but I was basically just getting it going with the "salt go ahead". And, we had no time to build a stand as moving this thing is HORRIFIC!

It's 300 gallons in total....

The cycle was soooo easy, that I just was a bit ... confused? I know how well Cycle works for FW tanks..and figured that I'd try it out! I'm just so used to the long boring cycle!!!

Regarding lighting....I totally NEED your input. I will post a pic of the centre bracing locations so you get a better idea of where all of this sits. I was trying to stay away from a bunch of halides due to heat and the hydro to run them (landlord already complains even though it's US paying the bill! LOL)

Congrats on the big tank Sarah......very envious.....I too cant wait to see it full of "fishy" goodness:mrgreen:

You should post some pics of the inside of the stand if you can?.....a couple thousand brains should be able to come up with some way get a skimmer in there.....BKs are fairly squat:wink:......

how bout two 5' ATI T5s?:lol:

mseepman
06-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I have to admit that I doubt the Deltecs are going to do what you want them to either. Measure the inside of the stand so we know what height we are dealing with for a skimmer.
When you say the stand is divided up...can you tell us what sized sump you could fit...or maybe several small ones plumbed together?

Lance
06-07-2010, 11:35 PM
If you can fit even a small sump in the stand plumbed to a pump which in turn is plumbed into a large Beckett skimmer standing alongside the tank. Might look kinda cool for everyone to see a large skimmer at work.

PoonTang
06-08-2010, 12:02 AM
If you can fit even a small sump in the stand plumbed to a pump which in turn is plumbed into a large Beckett skimmer standing alongside the tank. Might look kinda cool for everyone to see a large skimmer at work.

I agree, a big 3 or 4 foot skimmer next to te tank would be cool. Plus you could light it up with LED's like Dave did for that WOW factor. If your going to have a bunch of tangs you will have ALOT of poo, gonna need a big skimmer.

Edmonton newbie
06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
wow i think i need a 10 foot tank too looks great

Chaloupa
06-08-2010, 01:46 AM
I will take some measurements in the next day or so...I think I actually get a day off tomorrow so will NOT be going anywhere near the store! But will grab some pics, and I'm totally LOVING the idea of a BIG external skimmer.....suggestions on ease of use and not too pricey? I was looking for one but can't find much from our "normal" reef shops......let me know!

Delphinus
06-08-2010, 03:42 AM
Wow must be neat to see the chromis schooling in there. 10' .. that's some tank. :)

Chaloupa
06-08-2010, 05:07 AM
I would go with something like a huge beckett to power clean that baby Sarah..

OH Ya I told you and LAURIE before ,
SIZE MATTER's:lol:

Alright Mr. "I've pretty much tried EVERY protein skimmer" which would you recommend as an external and where the heck do I find it? Oh, and also, can you buy one, and hate it...then sell it to me for a really good price 4 weeks later????:lol:

Chaloupa
06-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Wow must be neat to see the chromis schooling in there. 10' .. that's some tank. :)

I think they get lost...they seem to school, then one or two will get left behind and will be on opposite ends of the tank...hmm maybe have to add more than 6 little Chromis!

Mrfish55
06-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Congrats on the 10 footer gotta love a big tank, as for skimmers, Vertex is comming out with an external model of the cone that should be nice, I have installed a few of the internal models and they perform flawless and dead silent. Precision Marine will also custom build to your specs (that is what I am runing on the 750) a little pricey but very well made and mine performs extreemly well (I am pulling a gallon of liquid stench a day) and as stated it looks dead sexy all lit up.

Chaloupa
06-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Soooooo, I bought an external skimmer today! It was listed here...and a friend sent me a PM to let me know..and what do you know, I bought it. It's a Becket MR2 that I will get the pieces for to mod so it skims even better! Pretty excited! Husband...well not so much but he'll love it in the end!

Chaloupa
06-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Oooh, AND had a little box of goodies delivered today........and in it was...my teeny tiny little Orange Shoulder Tang! Thanks soooo very very much to Jeff at J&L for sending this little guy! Can't wait til he goes in!

christyf5
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Ooh! We'll need pics of that :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
WOW one picture of the tank nothing else at least have some pictures of your tanks that you have going OMG and you call your self a 10 footer reefing lady, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:mrgreen:

Chaloupa
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
WOW one picture of the tank nothing else at least have some pictures of your tanks that you have going OMG and you call your self a 10 footer reefing lady, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:mrgreen:

ROFLMAO!

Ok, "Mr Skimmer"....check the previous TOTM threads...you'll find my 150g in there...otherwise I have a 34g RSM and a 65g hex. The other tanks have come down......I work almost every day (usually 7 days a week right now) The hex is basically....just there...I don't pay much attention to it, it just chugs along. Will grab a pic today of the RSM to keep YOU happy!

This is the hex early last year...I just don't take pics of it much......and it has changed but here's a quick "fix" for ya!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/Hex%20tank/Hex005.jpg

Skimmerking
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
:whoo: smart ass

Chaloupa
06-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Here's the little fella....faster than a speeding bullet to photograph...but, he is just slightly larger than the damsel!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSCN0871.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSCN0869.jpg

Skimmerking
06-10-2010, 02:24 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look at the big baby:biggrin:

DiverDude
06-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Soooooo, I bought an external skimmer today! It was listed here...and a friend sent me a PM to let me know..and what do you know, I bought it. It's a Becket MR2 that I will get the pieces for to mod so it skims even better! Pretty excited! Husband...well not so much but he'll love it in the end!

'k...so is it just me or is anyone else enjoying the fact that in this case it's the lady blowing the dough on the reefing addiction and it's the guy who's not amused ?:biggrin:

Skimmerking
06-10-2010, 03:37 AM
ya Really, I wish my wife brought home a 10 footer I would have fun with that. Hey Sarah wanna get married.:smile:

lockrookie
06-10-2010, 05:03 AM
this FTOTM.....

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47828&highlight=ftotm

fishoholic
06-11-2010, 11:51 PM
'k...so is it just me or is anyone else enjoying the fact that in this case it's the lady blowing the dough on the reefing addiction and it's the guy who's not amused ?:biggrin:

Same situation I'm in, rather annoying actually, however I've gotten creative about how I get my reefing supplies :mrgreen:

The orange shoulder tang is a cutie, I'm sure he'll be very happy in there.

christyf5
06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Same situation I'm in, rather annoying actually, however I've gotten creative about how I get my reefing supplies :mrgreen:

+1 I hear ya on that front. I schedule all my frag arrivals for Fridays, my day off. Then I can hide the evidence in the recycle bin. He never notices anything new in the tank (even fish :razz:)

marie
06-12-2010, 01:45 AM
My husband notices everything new in the tank....luckily he never makes any comments on prices lol

Chaloupa
06-12-2010, 02:50 AM
My husband is actually very very good with my hobby. He just rolls his eyes every now and then....but I got in a GORGEOUS Sailfin Tang on Wednesday, and right away he's telling me how good it's going to look in the display tank!!! Not, how much we selling that for or anything...just how good it's going to look in the display!!! (Didn't actually get it for the display but that's ok!) :biggrin: He does like the hobby and even though he gripes every now and then, he's been really good. HOWEVER, he sure doesn't love the Vancouver Fish Shop "tour". I mean, you have GOT to hit them all, and then if you see something you like, you DO have to observe it for quite some time, then chat up the employees and such. Usually he goes back out to the truck to play on my iPhone. But, he's been very very patient!

Dez
06-12-2010, 03:07 AM

The orange shoulder tang is a cutie, I'm sure he'll be very happy in there.

It seems that you "win" quite a few doorprizes at reef meets :wink:

christyf5
06-12-2010, 03:08 AM

Bwaahahahahahahha!!! I'm gonna have to use that one!!! :twised:

Lance
06-12-2010, 03:18 AM
There's always the good old faithful: "It followed me home, what could I do?" If it works for puppies and kittens it should for Tangs & Wrasses.

Chaloupa
06-12-2010, 04:54 AM
There's always the good old faithful: "It followed me home, what could I do?" If it works for puppies and kittens it should for Tangs & Wrasses.

Love it.....I think it would work well!

Edmonton newbie
06-12-2010, 05:07 AM
that it followed me home what could i do? worked from my girl today when she came home with a tiny lil clown trigger only about 3/4 inch long

Chaloupa
06-12-2010, 05:22 AM
It won't work quite as well for me....as the tank is at the store....I could say "it jumped"~ to the new tank....what do you think?

fishoholic
06-12-2010, 05:56 AM
+1 I hear ya on that front. I schedule all my frag arrivals for Fridays, my day off. Then I can hide the evidence in the recycle bin. He never notices anything new in the tank (even fish :razz:)

My husband notices everything new in the tank....luckily he never makes any comments on prices lol

My husband is actually very very good with my hobby. He just rolls his eyes every now and then....but I got in a GORGEOUS Sailfin Tang on Wednesday, and right away he's telling me how good it's going to look in the display tank!!! Not, how much we selling that for or anything...just how good it's going to look in the display!!! (Didn't actually get it for the display but that's ok!) :biggrin: He does like the hobby and even though he gripes every now and then, he's been really good. HOWEVER, he sure doesn't love the Vancouver Fish Shop "tour". I mean, you have GOT to hit them all, and then if you see something you like, you DO have to observe it for quite some time, then chat up the employees and such. Usually he goes back out to the truck to play on my iPhone. But, he's been very very patient!

I wish on all accounts. Steve eventually (sometimes it takes him a few days but no longer then a week) notices anything I put into the tank. He was the one who started the hobby but now wants nothing to do with it, he wishes we'd shut everything down and sell it all, I say I don't think so, I wont allow that to happen. He mostly complains about how much money I'm constantly spending and how high my line of credit is because of it. He's also stopped going to lfs with me because he hates how long I take in them, but I'm with Sarah you have to look at everything and chat with everyone :mrgreen:

fishoholic
06-12-2010, 06:04 AM

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about :wink: Although I plan on winning something from Blue world for their 1 yr anniversary prize :mrgreen:

Bwaahahahahahahha!!! I'm gonna have to use that one!!! :twised:

He doesn't seem to complain as long as he doesn't think I paid for it. Good thing I have a lot of reef friends who work with me on getting stuff :mrgreen:

I used to try that but he only got annoyed with me.

that it followed me home what could i do? worked from my girl today when she came home with a tiny lil clown trigger only about 3/4 inch long

Guess it works better when the guy is into the hobby and wants more fish.

It won't work quite as well for me....as the tank is at the store....I could say "it jumped"~ to the new tank....what do you think?

I love it, you should definitely use that one :lol:

Chaloupa
06-25-2010, 03:29 AM
A small but very overdue update........Soooo...a couple of things followed me across the floor? A very nice Sargassum Trigger, a TEENY TINY Atlantic Blue Tang, a Seagrass Wrasse, a very small Lamarck's Angel, and a group of very small yellow tangs...the tank has been doing very very well.....all levels have been fantastic and now we'll just see! I did lose the little Orange Shoulder in quarantine which was very upsetting...his poor little face rotted...it was odd.

Our lighting has been decided...we are going to have either 4 or 5 MH pendants with some T5 supplemental in the canopy...it will be an open top canopy to allow for heat to escape...but should be pretty well lit when all is said and done. Will try to update with pics in the next few days....

mseepman
06-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Hey I was just in Campbell River this week and I didn't know what kind of retail outlet that you have this tank in...but I will be coming back before long for business so I would love to know for then.

Chaloupa
06-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Hey I was just in Campbell River this week and I didn't know what kind of retail outlet that you have this tank in...but I will be coming back before long for business so I would love to know for then.

PM sent! I don't advertise yet on Canreef as I have no website still...but I'll let you know where I am!:biggrin:

fishoholic
06-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your orange shoulder. Were you treating with copper in QT? My sohal's face rotted when he was undergoing copper treatment when he had MV. Not sure if that was the case with your fish or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Chaloupa
06-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your orange shoulder. Were you treating with copper in QT? My sohal's face rotted when he was undergoing copper treatment when he had MV. Not sure if that was the case with your fish or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Actually no, I wasn't treating for anything as he was perfect....ate like crazy, no sign of anything wrong...so I was holding off..then one of my staff said that he looked like his face was getting dark, and he wasn't coming out to the front like normal....so I took a look, his face looked...."wrong"? and the next day he was dead. Very sad as I was soooo excited and he was so perfect!

fishoholic
06-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Actually no, I wasn't treating for anything as he was perfect....ate like crazy, no sign of anything wrong...so I was holding off..then one of my staff said that he looked like his face was getting dark, and he wasn't coming out to the front like normal....so I took a look, his face looked...."wrong"? and the next day he was dead. Very sad as I was soooo excited and he was so perfect!

Sorry to hear that, that is very sad and strange.

Chaloupa
06-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear that, that is very sad and strange.

yeah, I hate to say but I wish I HAD been treating him to then have a reason for his demise. But, I will get another as I really really like them!

Chaloupa
07-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Sooo after a long chat with Mike (skimmer king) we've changed our direction a bit...we're going to install a remote sump along side the tank with an in sump skimmer. We don't like the noise of the pump with the external....sooooo the build will be changing but I can't wait...no more heaters in the tank, or hoses of any kind...YAY! And places to put reactors and such. Maybe not the easiest to do at this point but...the build is stalled anyways as our contractor has not come by to start the cap. ARGH...it is just sitting there waiting for our lights but no cap so can't do it.....I don't do well with waiting as it is...but we called him over 6 weeks ago and he was coming by that night....I think he may have gotten lost!

So...on to better stuff now!!

And, HUGE thanks to Mike (skimmer king) for his help and advice. I think we may actually be a lucky group to have someone like him that will purchase and install just about every kind of skimmer....and then sell it a few months later, but be able to give a review on it! LOL! Thanks again Mike!

The sump we're going to use is built. We had it built for a customer but his stand was WAY too short...so I think we're going to use it for this tank....LOTS of room and big refugium room too..it's the one by Melev that was built for a 210g with a refugium......at least I think that's what we'll use...it could change tomorrow if I change my mind....:lol: will update as we go

Skimmerking
07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
No problem Sarah, great talking with Larry where we both were having a laugh ,about the tank and the skimmer and well I told Larry just to blame you for the mishap.

I'm glad that you have went the direction of the sump it will be alot better in the end and easier to work on for the skimmer anyways. Remember when you have that skimmer as a recirculating one go with a high powered internal pump to things that it will do ,
1. heat the water
2 blast the crap out of the injectors and give you multi million bubbles in the skimmer and with the MR -2 you can add height to the skimmer making more contact time to the skimmer hence pulling more crap out of the tank.

let mw know about the LAst PM that i sent you with regards to the types of skimmers and prices for Larry's wallet/:lol:

Greenmaster
07-28-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm down here in Courtenay and my wife likes to go for drives... are you the Campbell River Pet Center? I like the tank. I'm putting my tank on the stand on Saturday, so I could go up to CR on Wednesday next week :D.

Chaloupa
07-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm down here in Courtenay and my wife likes to go for drives... are you the Campbell River Pet Center? I like the tank I'm putting the tank on my stand on Saturday so I could go up to CR on Wednesday next week :D.

PM sent

globaldesigns
07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Pic's, Pic's, Pic's.... Don't teaze us with just one picture, we need more!!!

Skimmerking
07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Pic's, Pic's, Pic's.... Don't teaze us with just one picture, we need more!!!

that is What I'm talking about. 1 big long tank

like whatever SARAH.:redface::redface::redface::redface:

and I took the time to help you guys out with your skimmer problem and this is how you return the favor...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fine be like that :sad:

globaldesigns
07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
that is What I'm talking about. 1 big long tank

like whatever SARAH.:redface::redface::redface::redface:

and I took the time to help you guys out with your skimmer problem and this is how you return the favor...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fine be like that :sad:

HEHE, don't P I S S off the HORE

Chaloupa
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
EEEEK I think I might have slightly aggravated the skimmer hore! LOL...so anyways..there's really not much to show other than...hey here's the tank.

We were going to use a sump we had built for a customer that didn't work out.....but changed our minds..........So......what I am asking for is pics of your sump. I want a big sump to go beside the tank and am at a bit of a loss to plan it. I'm not "really" keen on having a refugium...I've never had one, why start now? And I've gone over Melev's reef sumps many times...just not finding what I want. I have about 5 feet long...and about 28 inches of possible room with height not being a concern. Show me your sumps ... if you don't mind!!!!! Hey Mike...this means YOU TOO!!!!

don.ald
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
40g breeder with a 5 gal for the input.

Skimmerking
07-30-2010, 03:16 PM
here is littlesilvermax's 8 footer
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MIKE&T%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.pnghttp://www.members.shaw.ca/bkotrla3/Oct%2010/IMG_8509.JPG
http://www.members.shaw.ca/bkotrla3/Oct%2010/IMG_8510.JPG

Hey Ben I hope you dont mind

Chaloupa
09-19-2010, 05:11 AM
bit of an "overdue" update.

Sump has arrived and is plumbed. Will have pics tomorrow. It's HUGE..no really it's LARGE. I wanted to be sure that I'd never have to worry about a power failure and having the sump overflow so I sorta over-compensated. Will post more details to go with the pic tomorrow...but it's about 175-180 gallons:redface:. We first used a Quiet One 9000 for the return pump as we wanted an in sump instead of outside sump....let me tell you...there is nothing QUIET about that pump. Sounds like you're running a chainsaw in the front of the store. UGH.....so next, after talking to Jeff at J&L and expressing our extreme displeasure....we hooked up 2 Quiet One 6000...and it's a fraction of the noise..I'm happy, staff is thrilled and I'm sure the animals close to the tank are happy too!!! We've run the tank a bit strange but it works. One side we kept the closed loop on, the other is the side that drains into the sump and has the return on. Again pics tomorrow. I have a large refugium area, great skimmer zone, and the return zone is perfect...and hey, no microbubbles!!!!

Lights....we hummed and hawed over the lights. I like my SPS tank at home, but really does "Joe Blo" actually appreciate the ORA Pearlberry that has grown a quarter of an inch in the last 3 months as we do? NO. They want to see a "flowy" reef with movement. Not to say I won't have SOME SPS (as I mean, really, what's a tank without some good SPS) but it will also have some coral movement to accompany it! So the lights went from 5 250w halides with T5's supplementing to, after much discussion and discussions with other reefers (whom I am very thankful for their input)...we have 2 4 foot 8 bulb T5 fixtures (that arrived YESTERDAY WOOT, WOOT) and in the centre of the tank we will have either a 400w halide pendant or a 250w halide pendant. I've just put the 250w over one of the store tanks and it looks fantastic so I'm thinkin it's the 400w. We just picked up the Oak plywood and made our first cuts for building the canopy. Our builder never did show up so my Dad and I are building it.... I also went with T5's as I don't want the heat issues that 5 halides would have put out. My BC Hydro bill is high enough! We will be moving the LED's I have on my tank at home to this tank so that we have some "moonlights" on the tank....

Skimmer is something I'm still not sure of. I've spent some time talking with the Skimmer Hore, Thanks Mike!, but am still not too sure what we want. We're looking at the SWC 250 1A from Oceanic Corals and a Bubble Magus 220CS from Sask. I don't know which one as of yet.....as I will have quite a few fish in the tank....and I do like to feed as do my staff. Still any input will be valuable here...Mike has been a big help but still not quite sure.

Fish...oops...sorta added a couple of fish.....and some rock. So, should decide on the final skimmer choice ASAP! I added a GORGEOUS Blonde Naso we got in at the store which has tons of personality....a teeny Earspot Tang, a small Tennenti Tang and 2 little Long Fin Wrasses.....that's it now until we get the proper skimmer. Can't really add more rock until the lights are on the tank....all my home tank rock is going into this tank....and can't add more fish until we have a skimmer. Phew, you really can't rush a reef tank! LOL:lol:

lastlight
09-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Don't get me wrong this all sounds SPLENDID but here's the problem with not postings pics.

Now we ALL have to wait until tomorrow when you could have posted this tomorrow and there'd only be ONE person waiting. You! Lol. Just kidding but dangit I wanna see!

Skimmerking
09-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Brett I will back you up too PIC's please

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
WOW, I really suck at keeping this up to date....a "few" changes to the tank:lol:

We bought a Bubble King skimmer from a reefer here and WOW that is an AWESOME skimmer! Easy to use, easy to clean (I have one staff member who is VERY VERY dedicated to cleaning it, and it's NOT ME! YAY)

We have the following fish now;

Blonde Naso Tang (really THE tang of the tank!)
Vlamingii Tang (when they say these grow quickly, they're really NOT KIDDING)
Tennenti Tang (the NASTIEST tang of the tank)
Orange Shoulder Tang
Ear Spot Tang
4 Yellow Tangs
2 Long Fin Fairy Wrasses (1 Dominant Male, and a submissive Male)
Breeding Pair of Banggai Cardinals
Spotted Mandarin Dragonette (Male) we lost our female while taking down the 150g
Golden Dwarf Moray Eel
Trio of Picasso Clowns
Hector's Goby
Potter's Angel (who truly tried it's hardest to die in the store, and finally after 2 months decided food was a good thing)
Sand Sifting Goby

AND...just yesterday we added a Trio of Hawaiian Flame Wrasses. The Longfin dominant male was NOT happy and tried his hardest to push them all around. Today, most are out and swimming around normally.

Tomorrow we are considering adding;

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
and one other that for the life of me I can't remember!

WISH LIST; We have a few tangs that we would still like to add but will give it careful consideration before we add as we have quite a few already, however they all get along EXCEPT the Tennenti and Orange Shoulder;

Black Longnose Tang
Achilles Tang
Atlantic Blue Tang
Chevron Tang

So without further delay...here are some pics!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/300.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/3001.jpg

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Sump; (it's about 175 gallons full...so running capacity is around 140)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/300gsump.jpg

Bubble King

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/BubbleKing.jpg

Most of the tangs;

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/mosttangs.jpg

Centre

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/centre.jpg

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Green Brain from CUBEMAN with of course, the Tennenti. It's either the Tennenti or the Naso that's in all the pictures, all the time!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/greenbrain.jpg

Frogspawn...one of the many corals I still have to get pics of....yes, I know, you WON'T hold your breathe. Good thing, many of you would have perished LONG AGO :lol:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/Frog.jpg

Orange Shoulder and friends...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/OS.jpg

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
As you can see, there is still a few projects to be completed. We just had the bottom of the stand "fixed" by a local carpenter/customer. It was very very poorly done. So, will take a couple shots of it, and it is much improved.

We also still have to build the "cabinet" around the sump. Too many kids with things in their hands that could drop, walk by the tank daily...so better safe than sorry. On the refugium side, there will be a window in front and possibly overhead to view the animals we hope to have in there.

The refugium side of the sump is FAR from completed. We still have to add sand, live rock, macro algaes, lighting, and then in several months we "hope" to add a couple of seahorses to it. Maybe, maybe not. We built it with that in mind so we'll see.

We have a few powerheads and a wavebox still to add, and some LED nightlights, my controller from home and a few other things...plus I need to lower the lights. The lights are still quite high over the tank so I can get in there and play around still. AND of course have room to add fish.

Fish additions; those will happen over the next 6 months. We really screwed up when we added an unhealthy fish in the beginning so now we are taking our time, and really, it's soooo incredible looking already, that it's really not something we're going to get bored with quickly. We will add a couple more gobies of different types, wrasses, maybe/maybe not some tangs, Sargassum Trigger is a hopeful addition as well, maybe some Wyoming White Clownfish if we can, and who knows what else. We have a gorgeous Powder Blue Tang in the store that would look amazing in this tank, however I have one JERK tang, don't know that I want to add another that I know will be nasty!!!

Coral Additions;

LPS will be added as it comes in. I've been very lucky to have a few local reefers have corals outgrow their tanks, and been traded in....YAY for me! And Zoanthids will always be added when I get them...always collecting!!! I will add some SPS to the tank as I love it, but for general public viewing the tank, they like seeing coral moving around, and don't get the excitement behind "look at the polyp extension on that Bali Tri Color"......

Borderjumper
11-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow Sarah.. That look amazing! When my wee little Atlantic Blue outgrows my tank I now know where to send him.:mrgreen:

christyf5
11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Look at all that tangy goodness!! Tank is looking awesome Sarah! :cool:

What kind of clowns are those in the 2nd pic? Onyx? Me likey!

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks Ladies!!

Shelley...I will take your tang in a heart beat!!!

Christy...those are my Picasso Clowns...they're actually really a nice trio...the little guy (male) isn't as well patterned as the other 2 but nice anyway.

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
CORALS IN TANK;

Aussie Orange Torch
Green and Pink Frogspawn
Green and Green Frogspawn
Aussie Duncan
Green and Purple Chalice
Red and Green Chalice
Lava Chalice
Mystery Chalice
Green Brain
Red and Green Brain
Green and Purple Brain
Orange/Blue/Brown Acan
Green Horn Coral
Pink and Green Hammer
Green and Green Hammer
Nuclear Green Palys
Purple Death Palys
Giant Palys
Dendros
Blue Mille
Green frag from O.C.
Couple of small Mille frags from O.C.
Bits of previous corals from my 150 that are attached to the live rock
MANY MANY MANY Zoanthids, Paly's and such
Hawaiian Feather Duster

Green Bubble Tip Anemone

I have 4 or 6 Peppermint Shrimp (sorta lost count while putting them in)
MANY Snails of all sorts
40-50 Blue legged hermits
2 Sand Sifting Starfish

Skimmerking
11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
looks great Sarah

Lance
11-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Sarah, it's looking terrific! Good job! I'll be over your way soon to have a look-see.

Delphinus
11-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Now I want a 10' tank. Thanks a LOT Chaloupa! :lol:

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Sarah, it's looking terrific! Good job! I'll be over your way soon to have a look-see.

Thank you!!!! Sounds excellent, be good to see you!

PoonTang
11-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see it in person some day!

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Now I want a 10' tank. Thanks a LOT Chaloupa! :lol:

Anytime!!!:mrgreen:

Chaloupa
11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see it in person some day!

You know where I am!!! Just come on by!:biggrin:

untamed
11-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Looks great. Ha..ha...what a cute little vlamingi. Nice to see him in a large home he'll quickly grow into!

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Looks great. Ha..ha...what a cute little vlamingi. Nice to see him in a large home he'll quickly grow into!

Quickly to say the least...he's grown SO much since we first got him. He was very small, and slim..not anymore! But I bought him because of yours. I've always loved your tangs and wanted to have one just like yours, since I can offer him a nice large tank to grow up in too!

untamed
11-27-2010, 02:59 AM
That's very nice of you to say. I'm always pleased when I see a vlamingi end up in a large tank because...yes, they grow incredibly quickly. Keep the photos coming!

ScubaGirl
11-27-2010, 03:07 AM
I feel very fortunate to be able to see this tank often. It's awe inspiring and Sarah is so good to me (and very patient with all my questions). Both of them (the tank and Sarah) make me want to spend money. Damn it! :biggrin:

scottycameron
11-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Love it, Love it, Love it!! Great looking tank you got there:biggrin:

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I feel very fortunate to be able to see this tank often. It's awe inspiring and Sarah is so good to me (and very patient with all my questions). Both of them (the tank and Sarah) make me want to spend money. Damn it! :biggrin:

Thanks girlie!!!!

Love it, Love it, Love it!! Great looking tank you got there:biggrin:

Thank you so much! More pics to come shortly...and yes I mean TODAY!!!!

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0064.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0063.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0049.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0047.jpg

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 05:32 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0046.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0044.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0043.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0041.jpg

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 05:33 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0034.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0029.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0028.jpg

Chaloupa
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0065.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0005.jpg

ensquire
12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Haven't been here for awhile, so nice to see where you are with your tank. It has come a long way since I was in your store in August.

Mike from Yellowknife

Chaloupa
01-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Hey Mike!!! Good to see you here! Yep, the tank has come a LONG way since the summer...now it's actually pretty! LOL. When you come down next, let me know.....and I'm sure the tank will be looking even better! Happy New Year

chandigz
01-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Wow Sarah, haven't seen you in a while. Missed you at the last swap. Looks like your pretty busy these days though. The tank looks awesome. Nice job. Love the flame wrasse (pair?) and the school of tangs. A bit of a hawaiian theme going on I think. A of A closed up so I can't get my fix locally any more so I'll have to come up that way to check things out one of these days.

Chaloupa
01-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Wow Sarah, haven't seen you in a while. Missed you at the last swap. Looks like your pretty busy these days though. The tank looks awesome. Nice job. Love the flame wrasse (pair?) and the school of tangs. A bit of a hawaiian theme going on I think. A of A closed up so I can't get my fix locally any more so I'll have to come up that way to check things out one of these days.

yeah, life is a bit hectic now that's for sure!!! I was so bummed I couldn't get to the Vic swap......I had such big hopes...and then work got in the way...does that a lot now! LOL. The Flame Wrasses are a trio....they're GORGEOUS! And there does seem to be a bit of a Hawaii theme!!! I love this tank...it's so easy, fish look good, eat well, skimmer skims VERY well! It's just an easy tank. Don't know how else to put it. I am considering what to put in next as now I need something new..........

I heard that A of A closed down suddenly. That's sad for you guys! I don't have a bunch in right now as Christmas was CRAZY...but I try to keep my prices fair, and my livestock healthy. I will never be a J&L but ... well that's ok with me! I am adding some invert tanks but that is a slow process...we have been sooooooo busy! It's awesome!

Chaloupa
02-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Bit of an update...out of the blue we lost our Naso Tang...for absolutely no reason at all. Everything else is thriving. Water changes are simple as we can just drain it out the front door.....:biggrin: We're keeping our driveway ice free is what we'll tell the landlord! LOL

We added a GIGANTIC Moorish Idol last night. He's huge, fat and seems really really healthy. In his previous tank he was a good citizen for the year and a half he was there....so hoping he will stay that way. He sure made a HUGE difference to the tank....it's the first thing you see. Will try to get some pics...but you know me. Not the best at updating this thread...but here and there!

fishoholic
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0041.jpg

This wrasse looks the same as the fairy wrasse I have that I'm not really sure what the ID on it is. Do you know what type of wrasse it is?

The tank is looking good, sorry to hear about the naso, I understand how much it sucks when that happens, my naso did the same thing. Mine was 4-5" was eating well, fat and healthy for 6 months then one day vanished. Never saw any sign of him ever again, no body no nothing just went from being perfectly healthy to gone.

Congrats on the MI very cool fish can't wait for pic.'s :biggrin: Hope he behaves in your reef.

Chaloupa
02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Laurie; we got her as a female Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, we got 2 females and a male from a supplier. They seem to look like him, and react to him.... The Naso loss really really sucked...it made no sense whatsoever.

Here's praying that the MI behaves.....I am soooo hopeful.....

fishoholic
02-17-2011, 04:57 AM
Laurie; we got her as a female Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, we got 2 females and a male from a supplier. They seem to look like him, and react to him.... The Naso loss really really sucked...it made no sense whatsoever.

Here's praying that the MI behaves.....I am soooo hopeful.....

Thanks for the wrasse ID that would be cool if that is what mine turns into. I guess most juvi fairy wrasses look alike so for now it's a bit of a waiting game.

Chaloupa
02-17-2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the wrasse ID that would be cool if that is what mine turns into. I guess most juvi fairy wrasses look alike so for now it's a bit of a waiting game.

But it's a fun waiting game!!! LOL...and if that's not what yours is, time to get another wrasse "just in case" they turn out to be the right one. I freakin LOVE wrasses....that and tangs are my downfall. And then I see someone with a gorgeous wrasse and I want that one too! I have a juvenile Pylei female...I keep hoping she's going to become a male.....LOL!

Greenmaster
02-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I stopped by the store and took some pics... It looks like your Morish Idol is eating your zoas... one type anyways.
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000398.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000397.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000392.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000390.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000389.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000383.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000407.jpghttp://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000405.jpg

And a FTS to finish it off.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/Greenmasterone/Chaloupa%20pet%20store/P1000402.jpg

fishytime
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
lookin good Sarah and great pics "Green".......must be a bear trying to keep the glass on the window side of the tank clean?.....those aren't zoas....they are bon-bons:mrgreen:

fishoholic
02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Wow the tanks looks amazing! I absolutely love your MI if they weren't so hard to keep I'd definitely have one. Thank-you Greenmaster for sharing! :biggrin:

FYI Doug if we ever get a new house together we should have a tank like this :mrgreen:

Leah
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow! is right the tank is beautiful!!!! :mrgreen:

Chaloupa
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
WOW...thank you for taking pics...and thanks for the compliments all.

Yes, sadly the idol eats anything that is green...Zoas, Brains, Mille's (oh not color specific on those...all colors are a "go"), and was starting to taste the Hammer and Frogspawn...so he's in the sump now (*sigh*) and going to Mrfish55 in Powell River to live out his life in his 750g. I'm very very sad to part with him as he has HUGE personality and of course is a store hit!:sad:

Lance
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Tank's looking good Sarah! Can't wait to see it on Thursday. And I'm sure Mr. Idol will like his new home. He'll be famous: The only MI in P.R. :biggrin:

lastlight
02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
That fish is a stunner but I don't think I'd every chose a fishy over coral. Tough call with such a show-worthy specimen!

Pretty trippy looking outside through the tank. Are you planning to leave it as is?

Lance
03-04-2011, 04:43 AM
I had the pleasure of visiting Sarah's (Chaloupa) new store today and I was very impressed. Fishes and other livestock all looked healthy and fit, and the tanks were all clean and well maintained. The new 10' display tank is killer! Gonna look great when those corals grow in. Good job Sarah!
I came home with Dave's (MrFish55) new Moorish Idol, a very nice Squamosa, and some nice-looking zoas. I'll get some pics of the clam up in the next few days.

Mrfish55
03-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the Idol, he's a beauty. Thanks Lance for bringing it home, I will get some pics up in the next few days, I am sure it will make a nice addition to the 750.

Chaloupa
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks Lance! Glad to see you again! Thank you for transporting the MI for Dave

Dave.....I miss him already, he's an amazing fish..and the biggest I've ever seen. He was AWESOME in our tank...but I want to keep coral more...*sigh* Glad he's in your tank, I'm sure it will be perfect!

Mrfish55
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Well, didn't take long, the other fish were chasing him last night, this morning he was swimming out front and the rest were all hiding in the back! Looks like we have a new king in town, beautiful fish, thanks again.

Chaloupa
11-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Soooo been awhile since the last update on the tank...I have a couple of videos up on youtube;
http://youtu.be/gHmotiBbVv0

and
http://youtu.be/gjrKbOo7Pus

(sorry for the background noise, I'm not really great at the video editing!)

But it gives you an idea of how the tank was looking.....did you catch that "was"? The tank had a leak.....and a fairly bad one...so last Sunday we ripped it down, transferred all contents to my 150g (luckily it hadn't sold yet) and some of our store tanks, and cleaned it out :cry: A company from Victoria came to our store, cleaned the old silicone off and resealed it all....and found there was not only 1 leak but 3!!!!! So, now we go into rebuild mode.....to look on the bright side, we won't have to do it again, and we were able to change some of the plumbing that we weren't happy with...and we put a better base under it with some underlay to help cushion it. The rebuild has started...we did save all our sand, cleaned a good portion of it and put that in.....all our water was saved, and all our rock is still perfect. We put the sand back in yesterday, and added some water to start circulating again, and start skimming again, so it's circulating through the sump now, and we added a truckload of Hagen Cycle. Going to check some levels over the next week to see what kind of die off we still had/have in the sand...hoping to get it up in a week...but we'll see. FAIRLY excited to get it back up and running as it really is missed by customers and staff alike! Will try to update it when we put stuff back in and get another video up. Wish us luck, we're going to need it!

fishoholic
11-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Wow that sounds pretty busy, best of luck to you getting it all back up and running

hillegom
11-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Thats a lot of work. Glad its coming together for you.
Amazing tank

Leah
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
The tank is amazing...good luck with the rebuild.

Chaloupa
11-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Thanks everyone! This was every reefers nightmare...but we survived...lesson be learned...if you buy a used tank, know the people or get the age of the tank, and possibly reseal it if you aren't sure of the silicone. Would have saved us a ton of grief if we had done that especially with a 10 foot tank.

Oh well, the rebuild will be fun and leaves us the option to add a few new tangs to the mix now that everyone is moved out. I've got a Powder Blue, Flame Fin Tomini and a gorgeous Blonde Naso Tang as well as the Orange Shoulder we took out after Tennenti Tang tried to kill him, then the Tennenti went after our Maculiceps Tang (formerly we called him an Earspot Tang which is what we bought him as)but that war is over with those 2 so adding new ones in the mix might be nice, plus the perfect time is now! Will update!

My current fish list is;
6 Yellow Tangs
1 Maculiceps Tang
Tennenti Tang
Sailfin Tang
Vlamingi Tang
3 Picasso Clownfish
3 Hawaiian Flame Wrasse (2 are males now)
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Rhomboid Wrasse
1 Golden Dwarf Eel
1 Diamond Goby
1 Hector's Goby
1 Target Spot Mandarin
1 Potter's Angel
1 Black Blenny

and I think that's it!

Chaloupa
11-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Oops...and a Foxface!

Snappy
11-26-2011, 03:55 AM
How did I miss this thread until now?
Very nice Sarah!

Chaloupa
11-26-2011, 04:23 AM
How did I miss this thread until now?
Very nice Sarah!

Because I suck at updating it, and it goes to the bottom very quickly! :lol:

Chaloupa
11-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Random shots;
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0840.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0841.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0842.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0843.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0844.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0846.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0847.jpg

Chaloupa
11-26-2011, 07:49 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0848.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0849.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0850.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0852.jpg

Clammy...he's about the size of a football
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/IMG_0854.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/DSC_0005.jpg

BlueTang<3
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
What are you using to cover the tank?

fishytime
11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Havnt had a chance yet to watch the vids but the pics look amazing..... I can only imagine the work it took to fix the tank.... Good thing you caught it before it blew.....

Chaloupa
11-27-2011, 08:13 AM
What are you using to cover the tank?

Each side is covered by glass.....the tank is in 3 sections up top, so the middle section is only covered with glass on the back half...then I built a cap for the tank to hold lighting and a gazillion cords for the powerheads and lighting etc. will try to get a pic up over the next few days ....

Chaloupa
11-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Monday....tank went back together...of course it looks NOTHING like it used to. I liked it quite a bit before as I had time to plan, add corals here and there, move stuff where I wanted etc. But, I'm sure in time I will get used to it and hopefully love it like I used to. Wasn't at the store long today so no new pictures but I should be taking some tomorrow to post for a "new look". I'm just experiencing a huge sigh of relief that it went back together, only had 1 rock fall and knock the Porities and Mille colonies on it OFF and into quite a few pieces...oh and the Red Convexa that I was sooo in love with as it was taking off....it's very very tiny again *sigh* as the rock it was on fell also...anyone needing any red convexa frags, or yellow porities?! LOL

Chaloupa
12-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Here's another video of it set up again....pardon the birds in the background, they just don't listen to "quiet, I'm filming"!! LOL

http://youtu.be/QSyTcgIUXMM

Chaloupa
12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/10%20foot%20build/300g.jpg

lastlight
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
whoa you did a fantastic job with the new scape (I had previously missed your video)!

I was wondering about your new 'background' but you shot at night =)

Zoaelite
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
whoa you did a fantastic job with the new scape (I had previously missed your video)!

I was wondering about your new 'background' but you shot at night =)

I was wondering the same until I saw the glowing Dollarama sign :razz:, absolutely love this tank makes me feel stumpy and undersized with my 6'.

hillegom
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Beautiful. How much time per week do you spend on the tank? :biggrin:

Chaloupa
12-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I shot them at night, and good ole Dollorama in the background getting free advertising LOL!!!!!

The scape was hard, really really hard, and at first I was really disappointed because it looked nothing like it used to...but I am slowly getting used to it, and finding things I like better with it! And...I "may" have room for more corals! I need some fun SPS or Zoanthids that are different than the norm...but they're few and far between.

ZoaElite...this was my complete dream tank, I had a 5 foot previously!.....Christy helped me to find it originally and I've been thrilled since. At times, I wonder what I was thinking getting one this long...but I do love it, and so do the tangs....unless they're hungry or we're standing on the left side. Then they make use of all of 2 feet of the tank, swimming back and forth in front of us, begging! I would change a couple things if I were to do it again.....mostly make it 10 x 3 x 3 but otherwise I am pretty happy, and pretty proud. Our SPS grows soooo fast!

We really only spend about 5-7 minutes a day on it...if we're doing the skimmer maybe 10.....and on water change day, we drain out the door into our parking lot and refill with a LARGE pond pump so it takes us about 8-12 minutes MAX; water out, water in. We do about 100 gallons per change as we have around 450 gallons total with the sump. We've got it all pretty simple in case we go away, the staff can take care of it easily. We have a large Mag-float on a painting extension handle to do the back of the tank as it's very close to the windows, one of our staff fits back there but she doesn't love going back there if she doesn't have to LOL!!!! I think we spend the most time feeding..it's FUN!!!!

lastlight
12-13-2011, 05:26 AM
unless they're hungry or we're standing on the left side. Then they make use of all of 2 feet of the tank, swimming back and forth in front of us, begging!

I know that drives me nuts. If I'm in the basement (visible to the fish) they might as well be in the old tank. All crammed into the feeding end of the tank lol.

Chaloupa
12-13-2011, 05:39 AM
LOL...they're almost on top of each other and the rest of the tank is BARE. At least they're "friendly"!!!!!

fishytime
12-13-2011, 06:34 AM
wow Sarah.....pics are cool and everything, but there is nuthin like full motion video......the tank looks amazing with the new scape......shooting the vid at night really made the tank stand out.....no cars or trucks in the background distracting me from the reef porn.....man that one bird sounded POed.....and there was one part where a yellow tang and a foxface tag-teamed and attacked Nemo:surprise:

evaneatspie555
12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
try feeding in different places every day ten the fish wont go to the normal spot when ur in the room i noticed that worked with me i never fed the fish from the same spot 2 days in a row and when im in the room wich is always they do whatever they want unless there hungry they will stare at my :p

Chaloupa
12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
try feeding in different places every day ten the fish wont go to the normal spot when ur in the room i noticed that worked with me i never fed the fish from the same spot 2 days in a row and when im in the room wich is always they do whatever they want unless there hungry they will stare at my :p

Yeah, we've tried that....but they still hang out on the left side...that's also where the door is into the store......but maybe I'll try it again! ANYTHING! LOL....unless they're stuffed FULL they hang out there all the time!

On another note, really thinking I want a Powder Blue Tang in there, possibly try adding my Orange Shoulder again as he has grown well.....I have both tangs in the store....but should've done it when I put the tank back together.....I have 2 Yellow's that fight allllll the time....and the rest don't care...there's 6 in there but 2 have issues! Reason I want to add the Powder blue is that he is fat, healthy and we really don't have blue in the tank....I also want to add the blue spot jawfish we have but there is one area of the tank that is still uncovered and for sure he would get out! ARGH

Chaloupa
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
AND:biggrin: of course I'd really really like to add a large Achilles Tang to the group.....wouldn't care if he picked on anyone...he could rule the tank but my Vlamingi might have a few ideas on that....

lastlight
12-14-2011, 04:09 PM
These are the sorts of things that keep our type up at night. Good luck with your decisions (I'm sure we'll see all of them in there lol).

Skimmerking
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, we've tried that....but they still hang out on the left side...that's also where the door is into the store......but maybe I'll try it again! ANYTHING! LOL....unless they're stuffed FULL they hang out there all the time!

On another note, really thinking I want a Powder Blue Tang in there, possibly try adding my Orange Shoulder again as he has grown well.....I have both tangs in the store....but should've done it when I put the tank back together.....I have 2 Yellow's that fight allllll the time....and the rest don't care...there's 6 in there but 2 have issues! Reason I want to add the Powder blue is that he is fat, healthy and we really don't have blue in the tank....I also want to add the blue spot jawfish we have but there is one area of the tank that is still uncovered and for sure he would get out! ARGH

Sarah What i have done with great sucess is having a mirror by one of the tanks. This will help withthe agressive tangs. It has worked flawless for me and others. might want to give it a try..

Gripenfelter
12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I use the mirror trick as well.

Another thing that I have had great success with is hanging a quarantine tank INSIDE the display tank.

Basically make a rectangular box out of acrylic about 24-40" long with slotted sides and bottom for water to flow in and out of. Put your new fish in there and let him and his tank mates adjust to him over a week. Basically like an acrylic shark cage. Keep the mirrors up at the same time.

Chaloupa
03-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Oh Wavebox how I have missed you! I had an old Tunze Wavebox that I had traded to a customer, then he brought it back as "it didn't work"....well I didn't doubt him and put it away for a few years.....yesterday I dragged it out to figure out what was wrong...and NOTHING was!!!!!! So I put the Tunze Wavebox in the tank today.....and WOW the flow is so nice!!! I have 3 Vortech MP40 in there but I was lacking the random flow...now it's back and it's fantastic! I have also thinned out the coral quite a bit as the Vlaminigi Tang breaks EVERYTHING and we had a mishap and lost several SPS colonies...think it was the salt change (Oops). All levels are stable now, we're going to hook up the calcium reactor again and use Brightwell NeoMag in the reactor....back to basics and a bit of old school!

Fish List currently;

1 Vlamingi Tang (XL)
1 Blonde Naso Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Purple Tang
4 Yellow Tang
1 Scopas x Yellow Tang
1 Regal Tang
1 Orange Shoulder Tang
1 Striated Bristletooth Tang (I hate this fish)
1 Foxface (the one that stung me...OUCH)
1 Potters Angel
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Rhomboid Wrasse
1 Black Blenny
2 Premium Picasso Clownfish
1 Target Spot Mandarin (M)
1 Diamond Goby
1 Golden Dwarf Moray Eel

Sadly our 3 Hawaiian Flame Wrasse were killed by the Sixline Wrasse (NEVER EVER will I own one again....and I know what they're like but a good customer gave him to us in the hopes we'd keep him...*sigh*)...we've lost a Yellow Tang which I believe was cyanide caught as he never gained weight and was also sunken in the tummy, Tennenti Tang and the GORGEOUS Maculiceps Tang......but that's our losses.....

We do have 2-4 Pearlscale Butterflies intended for the tank to control aiptasia plus a Filefish.....so those additions will happen once the Butterflies are out of QT. Otherwise, no changes have been made...and once it's growing well again I will post a pic....it's still a nice looking tank but whatever happened was nasty! We lost lots :cry:

christyf5
03-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Sucks to have such problems in such a gorgeous tank. My hubby was up there for work a few weeks ago, i was going to send him in to take a few pics but the trip was too quick :razz: Glad to hear this tank is still going, regardless of problems.

Now we need some updated photos.........:mrgreen:

lastlight
03-22-2014, 10:32 PM
so sorry to hear about the loss of the mac... would have loved to see an update on him. any chance we can see some updated shots of the tank?