PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Spike?

SpateD
06-07-2010, 03:06 AM
So I just recently transfered my tank from a 10 gallon to a 25 gallon. All the ammonia levels were fine, then after about an hour after the move, I checked water parameters again and the ammonia was around .3. Then I added 1.3 ml of Alpha by aquavitro to the water as directed on the bottle. Tested about 10 minutes later and it showed the ammonia down to about .18ish (still green).

What can I do to lower the ammonia level some more? A water change? Can I add more Alpha?

Seamazter
06-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Did you move your live sand over to the new tank?
This is usually the reason for the mini cycle to occur.
Unsure of the product you described, but ammonia has two types that you can be dealing with.
non-toxic free ammonia or just toxic ammonia.
If your product is like Prime, it will detoxify the ammonia but again im unsure what your using.
If you used Prime this would nullify the toxicity of you ammonia as you have now, but further testing would either show just ammonia or free ammonia the only kit i know of that test for only toxic ammonia is the seachem ammonia test.
Regardless, if your showing a decrease on your kit that is what you want, to lower your ammonia as soon as you can before it becomes nitrite then nitrate.
A water change would be good, and of coarse if your product doesn't detoxify ammonia to the free ammonia type then use some Prime.
good luck and all that.
Hope my experience will help you.