PDA

View Full Version : HARAKIRI !!! The tale of the suicidal invertibrates

SAMSHUNG
06-07-2010, 01:08 AM
So I've had my tank cycling for 6 weeks and I figured it's about time I added a clean-up crew to take care of the algae I so patiently turned a blind eye to while the tank cycled. Went to J&L to double check my water just as a reassurance the tank was suitable for the CUC. Half an hour later I walked out with 5 Blue legged Hermits and 5 Banded Trochus Snails. Spent about 1.5 hours slow acclimating them to the aquarium before I introduced them to their new home. The hermits hit the ground running while the snails were "sluggish" to leave their shells and move about but they eventually did. I placed the Trochus Snails atop of my Indonesian Live Rock which, most may know, has a branch-like appearance. I thought I was being strategic in my placement of the snails so as to have them next to the greatest amount of algae. Little did I know that soon after I left them they began diving off the the rock like lemmings and wedging their conical shells into the branches preventing themselves from moving. I've now had to intervene in rescuing several of them already and it hasn't even been 24hrs yet. I hadn't expected to be baby sitting snails when I resolved to keep them.

Then today I picked up a pair of Cleaner Shrimp as well to add to my tank and after acclimating them I went to transfer them from their shipping bag to the tank and while in the net one of them jumped out and landed flat on my floor...motionless! :shocked: I thought he was dead fo sho! but after I put him in the tank he went about like nothing was wrong. Sorta reminded me of my semi-autistic cousin who can't be left alone with sharp objects.

whatcaneyedo
06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
What you've experienced with the snails is extremely common. If you diligently research all of your purchases before you make them you will avoid a lot of surprises like that. You can also expect that your crabs will occasionally kill your snails for their meat and for their shells from time to time as well.

The Grazing Snails, Part I - Turbo, Trochus, Astraea, and Kin
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

Wingin It
06-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Sometimes my hermits pull out other hermits. Then I find legs and stuff floating...ughh...annoying. ;)

SAMSHUNG
06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Is there anything I can do to mitigate them going cannibal? Keeping them well fed and providing extra homes perhaps?

Wingin It
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
i've done both, given extra shells and make sure they get enough to eat, but I think they do it for sport or some kind of hermit crab ego thing. ;)

naesco
06-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Is there anything I can do to mitigate them going cannibal? Keeping them well fed and providing extra homes perhaps?

Yes, return them Hermits are predators of all the neat little critters that feed your coral and small fish.
Keep one cause they are cool to watch.

Run if a LFS asks you about 'clean up crew'