PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing HELP

thanhjenn
06-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to put together a closed loop for my 135 gal at base of tank. I'm using mainly pvc flex to run the plumbing as i'm not very good with plumbing. When i run the flex to the bulkhead, there seem to be a lot of stress to the bulkhead causing leaks. Where the bulk heads are, there are little space. I tried to tighten as much I could by hand. Any suggestion with tools to tighten, or should i silicone the bulkheads? Thanks for reading.

thanh

whatcaneyedo
06-06-2010, 05:47 PM
It sounds like maybe the tension in the bent hose is pulling at the bulkhead from the side creating a gap that is leaking. Maybe if you add a few ridged angle pieces of PVC so that you don't need to bend the hose as much you will releave the stress and stop the leak.

A picture of what you have done so far would really help.

sphelps
06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
You're probably using the cheap type sch20 bulkhead, even if you get it sealed it will likely only be temporary. Best solution would be a better bulkhead, sch40 or even 80, they have thicker gaskets and course thread meaning they can take much more torque and will be more realable. Only problem with this is you'll likely have to drop a pipe size.