PDA

View Full Version : One reason why you should dip corals

Dez
06-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Here is just one reason why I think you should dip corals. I acquired a small sps coral today (actually a few). I went through my usual dipping procedure and inspection. I dipped the 3 corals in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure for my usual 10 - 15 mins and I usually stir the water and shake the corals to see if any nudis or flatworms etc come out. After my inspection and rinse in regular tank water, I found some small bristle worms (pretty normal) and to my dismay I found not one but TWO mantis shrimp. One of them was just under 1/2" big and the other was about 1/4 - 3/8" long. Craziness! I went through all the trouble to use only rock that I had from before that was pest free and made some of my own aragocrete and if I didn't dip my coral, I would have ended up with a couple of mantis shrimp in my system. These were really small corals too. I hope this helps someone down the road.

fishoholic
06-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Dez what did you do with the mantis?

Dez
06-05-2010, 04:19 AM
Dez what did you do with the mantis?

The dip takes care of them if you know what I mean :redface:

fishoholic
06-05-2010, 04:45 AM
The dip takes care of them if you know what I mean :redface:

Ya I figured as much :sad:

fishytime
06-05-2010, 02:40 PM
great advice Dez.....$10-$20 for a bottle of dip and 10-15 minutes it takes to temperature acclimate(and dip).....cheap insurance as far as Im concerned......it doesnt matter where I get a coral from, nothing hits my tank that hasnt been dipped

Chaloupa
06-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. Everything I buy is now dipped and inspected.....I've had some nasties and learned my lesson the hard way!