PDA

View Full Version : Damage control

jorjef
06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a Wellsophyilla brain coral that has a small pce of exposed skeleton. Is there anything I can do to try to encourage repair. and stop brown jelly?

trinac
06-05-2010, 12:14 AM
My brain coral was experiencing the same thing recently (Lobo sp.). I had some advice to try moving it to a new location within the tank, or closer to the light. I moved it to a new location, also in the sand not upwards to reduce number of variables. And, after a week or so, its looking pretty happy. The other advice I was given was to check KH, Mg and Ca. My KH was on the low side so I brought that up too. Good luck!

whatcaneyedo
06-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Keep it up from that sand in an area where the damaged tissue will have good water flow all around and it will heal in time. I've run a trachyphyllia and lobophyllia through a saw on more than one occasion and to get them to heal without any problems I always make sure the cut pieces have good water flow. If the damaged tissue is smothered it will be more susceptible to infection.

A little bit of target feeding with some small meaty food will also help provide it with more energy for healing.

If it has a brown jelly infection already, remove the coral to a bucket of aquarium water and blast off the infected area with a turkey baster then return the coral back to your tank. That usually works but if it continues to spread cut the infected area off with a saw just above the receding tissue.

jorjef
06-05-2010, 05:24 AM
I got home tonight, turned on the lights to find some pods and my Pep shrimp dining on the effected area. Is this get scavenging or would they be part of the problem?

whatcaneyedo
06-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Pods, worms and other little bugs wont bother a healthy damaged coral. Either the peppermint shrimp are causing the problem or the coral is in bad shape.

What happened to the coral to reveal the spot of exposed skeleton?

jorjef
06-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Also I have a Frogspawn 12-13 heads a Torch about 15 heads and a small bubble coral. I do run carbon full time. Is there a possiblity of chemical warfare. Tank is only 40 gallons

jorjef
06-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Pods, worms and other little bugs wont bother a healthy damaged coral. Either the peppermint shrimp are causing the problem or the coral is in bad shape.

What happened to the coral to reveal the spot of exposed skeleton?

Only when I changed locations did I notice it on the back side. It was in good shapwe when I bought it, two weeks old and bought the pep at the same time

whatcaneyedo
06-05-2010, 05:33 AM
If you run carbon, have a skimmer and do regular water changes your corals shouldnt be suffering from chemical warefare.

jorjef
06-05-2010, 05:38 AM
That damn pep shrimp was just on it again after I moved into a little stronger flow to keep it clean....I think he's going to have to go....Can't be doing it any good.

jorjef
06-05-2010, 06:28 AM
R.I.P Peppy R.I.P...... No sump, not too many options at 12:27 am

lockrookie
06-05-2010, 06:34 AM
dude you could have brought it to my sump and sold it to someone... keep that in mind for next time its not like im far away and usually awake somewhat lol

jorjef
06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I thought about that, but he was back at the same exposed spot picking away three times in a half an hour or so... no tolerance for a 20 dollar shrimp eating my 120 dollar brain. Had to be "put" down as they say...I couldn't knowingly pass on a monster like him could I ?? lol.

fishytime
06-05-2010, 02:46 PM
could have put a strawberry basket(or something similar) over the brain to protect it while it heals.....if your into LPS, a good thing to have on hand(and even if your not into LPS) is a good coral dip.....as said before LPS are very susceptible to infections.....if the tissue continues to recede or you see any brown jelly, take the brain out and dip it.

jorjef
06-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Okay a bit ignorant here.... Dip it in what?