PDA

View Full Version : a little too easy?

Milad
06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
so my tank has been running for 2 weeks, everything is at zero. The water is so damn clear that if there werent waves then you wouldnt know there was water in the tank.

i thought there was suppose to be crazy **** happening first two weeks. algea blooms, brown **** everywhere, water all dirty looking and all brown.

what the hell is going on? this was too easy, i was expecting worse.

sphelps
06-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Have you put anything in the tank? Nothing will happen unless some kind of organic waste is introduced.

Milad
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
ive been feeding flakes few times a day. and i have 250+lbs of live rock in there

is that not enough?

Milad
06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
im thinking of going to the LFS tonight and buying a couple snails, hermit crabs and a goby or two and see what happens!

intarsiabox
06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I've started new tanks with live rock that never left the water so there was no die off and never had any algae or diatom blooms. Maybe you just got some really good live rock to start with. Have you started your lighting cycle yet? The amount of LR you have should suffice, IMO if you add too much the tank just ends up looking like a pile of rock dumped in the tank rather than a whimsical reef.

trinac
06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Gobies are awesome, but they will jump out of the tank! Mine did... Unless you have a cover, but I couldn't see from your photos. My tank cycled quickly as well with no hooplah either. Go get some fish!! Well one for sure to start!! :lol: You will probably experience the "fun stuff" after you add a fish or two. At least thats what happened in my tank. Let me know what fish you get!!

Milad
06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
ya i havent recieved my cover material yet, should be here early next week.
ideas for first fish then? i really like gobys and clowns.

trinac
06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
A clown was one of my first fish. Mine is a maroon clown and I think its pretty awesome. The other fish that I got at first were a couple chromis. They are cheap, but stupid and mine have been given their eviction notice. They are outta here! Eventually anyways. I wish I got a fairy wrasse or christmas wrasse instead. That would be my suggestion. They are pretty and swim around a lot, seem to be on the easier side to keep, and not on the belligerent side. But not exactly the least expensive fish. Do you have the "Reef Aquarium Fishes" book? I choose my fish based on this book. Sometimes the fish stores are more excited to sell you any fish than what will actually work in your tank plans. I also chose my fish based around my dream fish if I ever see it. I want a blue spotted boxfish eventually so I got all fish that aren't going to scare the living daylights out of it.

But then again.. if you get a chromis and things head south, then you have only a $5 expense instead of $40 or more... You have a massive tank though, and loads of rock, I wouldn't get too paranoid. But then again, what do I know? haha

lockrookie
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
when and if i can catch my green chromis they too are evicted all they do is hide. they are a waste of added bio load lol. nice looking when i see them once a month

trinac
06-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Ha! Maybe you have another fish that pesters them into hiding? Mine are out all the time, dithering around. Not the worst trait! But ya, I'd be even more peeved if the little buggers just hid all day long.

naesco
06-05-2010, 02:01 AM
im thinking of going to the LFS tonight and buying a couple snails, hermit crabs and a goby or two and see what happens!

I wouldn't if I were you. I would wait a few days to make double sure your tank has cycled otherwise you will lose the fish

Reef_surfer
06-05-2010, 02:19 AM
patience is virtue

Milad
06-05-2010, 03:29 AM
i bought 5 turbo snails, 5 black snails, 5 blue hermits i think, and 2 scarlet hermits
i stayed away from the fish for now.

tony_3a
06-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Ha! Maybe you have another fish that pesters them into hiding? Mine are out all the time, dithering around. Not the worst trait! But ya, I'd be even more peeved if the little buggers just hid all day long.

I agree, i just finished cycling my tank with 2 chromis and they are always out! Its cool they are always darting around and in view, only hide at night for resting. They also eat like pigs.

naesco
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree, i just finished cycling my tank with 2 chromis and they are always out! Its cool they are always darting around and in view, only hide at night for resting. They also eat like pigs.

For the benefit of new reefers and without any reflection on Tony because obviously he didn't know, the use of live fish for cycling is considered in the hobby as inhumane.
Putting a fish through the torture and likely death in cycling a tank is unecessary when a schrimp from you grocer will do.

Chaloupa
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I've had the exact happen...I just set up a 10'long 300g tank and put in a prawn to rot.....2 weeks in and my levels are all perfect. I have never had a tank cycle like this. Usually it's your 6 week, hurry up and wait! I'm not going to put a bunch of anything in there....as of yet until I get good readings for a bit. It just seems too good to be true, however all my rock was cycled and the tank is 10 feet away from the rock tank, so chance of die off...all the water was taken from existing tanks, and the sand was 6 bags of regular sand with 1 bag of live. I also added Cycle by Hagen....but am quite happy so far....

trinac
06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Glad that you have something to watch in your tank this weekend! Woop!

trinac
06-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Naesco, I just noticed your avatar... very fitting!!! lol The Fenner police?! :razz: :lol:

Milad
06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
you guys mean a frozen shrimp i get from save on foods? or costco? just toss one in?

ALBERTA REEF
06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
so my tank has been running for 2 weeks, everything is at zero. The water is so damn clear that if there werent waves then you wouldnt know there was water in the tank.

i thought there was suppose to be crazy **** happening first two weeks. algea blooms, brown **** everywhere, water all dirty looking and all brown.

what the hell is going on? this was too easy, i was expecting worse.

Now you jinks its. :lol:

naesco
06-05-2010, 06:15 PM
you guys mean a frozen shrimp i get from save on foods? or costco? just toss one in?

Yes, that is all you need. The tank needs something organic to cause the tank to cycle.
In the past, the poop from very hardy fish like the damsals were used.

naesco
06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Naesco, I just noticed your avatar... very fitting!!! lol The Fenner police?! :razz: :lol:

I used to have a 9 footer and kept 8 or so tangs and read up and experienced their need for a large tank.
I would post from time to time and another reefer posted that I was a Tang Nazi. I objected to him calling me a Nazi and he changed it to Tang Police. That label stuck.
Another reefer sent me the avatar.
Now there are many tang police on all the reef boards.

Milad
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
i know you guys said to wait a bit but I gave in and bought some clowns and a goby!
It was hard not too. they were damn cute
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=525157&postcount=59

tony_3a
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I didnt know, i was told by a lfs to do it, and now the chromis are happy and doing well!

For the benefit of new reefers and without any reflection on Tony because obviously he didn't know, the use of live fish for cycling is considered in the hobby as inhumane.
Putting a fish through the torture and likely death in cycling a tank is unecessary when a schrimp from you grocer will do.