PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy belly - Bicolor Blenny

trinac
06-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Hello

My Bicolor Blenny has a lumpy belly. It looks intestinal like, either wormy or bloated from eating too much? The portion that is lumpy is just beyond his front fins to about 50mm back. He's eating algae off of the glass, rocks, etc, and eats some mysis. Hasn't yet been interested in the pellets. His poop is greeny / brown and what I can best describe as solid, its not stringy or anything. Any ideas on if this is something to be treated, or if he's just pigging out bigtime? I have a book on the way about fish diseases... but it hasn't arrived yet! :wink:

Your help is appreciated!

If there is any additional information you would like to know, please ask. I am running the gamet of water tests today. Previous test history is normal and good. Last nitrate was between zero and 1. Ammonia & nitrate always zero, although I do need to upgrade those test kits (API).

Thanks!!

Trina

bvlester
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I think he is pigging up on you feed less food and se what happens he is getting algae from your tank so he need less prepared food. What other fish do you have ?

I consider API test kits to be good and usually consistent from one batch to the next. I also use these test kits and I like them as they are Farly easy to read and the intervals are Farly close together so if it is between graduates it is essayer to estimate the number. I have used other test kits and many the graduals are to far apart to estimate easily.

Bill

trinac
06-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Theoretically that would be a good idea to reduce feeding to see what happens. But, the other fish (clown, chromis, etc) need to be fed... And the blenny is right there in the mix when its feeding time too. I am thinking though of feeding pellets for a bit instead of the mysis because at least the blenny hasn't figured out pellets are food yet. We'll see how he looks tomorrow. Although, he's literally eating algae all day like its going out of style.

bvlester
06-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Well now that I know you have other fish in there I would agree use the pellets every other day. any flake food soke in garlic and selcon.

Bill

trinac
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
By feeding the pellets only, which he still hasn't figured out are food, his belly has decreased notably. Still bumpy though, as the blenny is often foraging on something. I'd have to isolate him and remove food completely if I really want to rule out that the blenny just eats too much.

My book came in the mail today (Health & Feeding Handbook). From what I can gather, the alternative is that it is some kind of sporozoan. I will just have to monitor the situation. If it does get worse, I'll have to isolate the fish and likely euthanize as sporozoans, if cysts rupture, can infect other fish. Also, no known cures / effective treatments.