PDA

View Full Version : lionfish vs. foxface

hound96
06-03-2010, 06:46 AM
i aquired a small 3" one spot foxface and i was wondering if my 10" volitan lionfish will kill it or leave it alone it is in my refuge/sump right now just in case also on a side note i do have a 2" percula clown in the main display tank now, also there is a 3.5" picasso trigger , a 6" lunar wrasse , and a 2' snowflake eel. All my parameters are good as i keep ontop of my tank every day and bi weekly water changes also i feed every second day.

hound96
06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
never mind he is in the tank now and doing just fine.

hillegom
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Keep that lion fish well fed. He will eat anything smaller than himself.

hound96
06-04-2010, 05:55 AM
he is very well fed he gets 2 large silversideds every second day there are also more than just the 2 fish so they al keep pretty occupied i was paranoid but after calling every lfs in town and getting the same response i figured i would try and if trouble started i would just put him back in the fuge but seems to be doing fine he was swimming right beside the lion today and no problem but i am curious he seems to dance with my lunar wrasse but they don't fight.

Funky_Fish14
06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
If he does eat your fox he might die, because of the fox's spines and toxins?

Just FYI thats a lot of big/semi-agressive fish for a 90 gallon. You'll have to upgrade pretty soon!

WuHT
06-04-2010, 08:09 AM
a plus is that foxfaces grow REALLY fast, so feed it well and you wont have much of a problem.

whatcaneyedo
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Depending on how aggressive you lion is it may try to eat it just out of curiosity but I dont think it will be successful. Mine tried to eat a butterfly right after I added it. However the butterfly was too big for its mouth so nothing happened.

Like Funky Fish said, thats pretty crowded for a 90gal. I have had similar fish in my 120gal and found that it was even too small.

hound96
06-04-2010, 05:33 PM
for the growth rate on the foxface i was wondering about that , do you know aproximately how much per month one that is well fed on a varied diet would grow? as for over growding i do know that most of my fish will grow between 10" - 15" so no big surprise but i am moving this time next year and when i do i am setting up a 400 gallon with (i would like it to be) a 90 gallon sump and a 20 gallon refuge i have already talked to a few guys about the glass i just haven't decided on a cabinet.