PDA

View Full Version : Wood tank sealing?

TommDool
11-06-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm just planning to build my 150g wood + 1/2" Glass Tank. I know everyone is using two part epoxy paint, but I am having a hard time finding any and the ones I do are for cement floors. I have an idea of laminating the plywood with 1/8" Arcylic. Then screw & Glue the tank together, then seal the arcylic inside with arcylic glue and silicone.

Any thoughts on this. will it even work?

Thanks

Tomm

kuatto
11-06-2003, 11:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing for a 300gal.the only prob would be if the wood bowed the plexi might crack.you could do 1 of 2 things,use thicker plywood,or use side bracing(like the ribs on a wood boat)hth

Jim

TommDool
11-07-2003, 04:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing for a 300gal.the only prob would be if the wood bowed the plexi might crack.you could do 1 of 2 things,use thicker plywood,or use side bracing(like the ribs on a wood boat)hth

Jim

Ya I thought of this as well. But I figured that 1/8 arcylic is fairly flexable and also use silicone might give it a little flix too. I would use 1" plywood and I was thinking of using a powder coat rods as cross supports. The supports would give more room to work on the tank then a plywood or arcylic support, and more stable.

Chin_Lee
11-07-2003, 04:19 AM
I don't think 1" plywood will bow with a 150 gal. What dimensions are you planning?
Let me know how it works out - i think its an excellent idea

Buccaneer
11-07-2003, 04:29 AM
Ya I thought of this as well. But I figured that 1/8 arcylic is fairly flexable and also use silicone might give it a little flix too. I would use 1" plywood and I was thinking of using a powder coat rods as cross supports. The supports would give more room to work on the tank then a plywood or arcylic support, and more stable.

Well ... 2 things to consider here is that 1/8 acrylic while being really flexible is also really delicate so a simple rock falling over could put a crack in it and have you running for garbage cans to get all your livestock out so you can repair it ... also silicone does not work very well on acrylic so if you do decide to go this route use something like Weldon16 or similar for the corners and LOTS of silicone for around the front glass ( be sure to sand the edges of the acrylic first ) ... another idea for upper supports would be aircraft cable ... it is very strong and wont cast a shadow under your lights as it is very thin ( Home depot sells it ) ... Good Luck ... HTH

Cheers

TommDool
11-10-2003, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys. I am still thinking about it. If anyone knows of a place on vancouver island or the mainland I can get two-part epoxy for a good price let me know.

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 04:36 PM
You can get away with out epoxy paint by using fiberglass resin.
Here's a link to the 137 gallon freshwater tank I made last spring using 1/4 inch glass, 3/4 inch plywood and fiberglass resin. I have little to no bowing with the crossbrace. It's an early picture, I have finished the stand and have the tank trimmed now.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpygr/main%20site/Kenstank.html

AJ_77
11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
That's a nice-looking job, thanks for posting! Do you have construction details posted somewhere on that website as well?

Cheers,

christyf5
11-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Hey Scavenger! Welcome to Canreef. Good to see some more island people here :mrgreen:

TommDool
11-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Good looking tanks. How long have you used it, and where did you get you supplies from in Nanaimo?

Do you find 1/4 glass a little weak, I think I would be scared with that

Tomm

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the complements on the tank. This was my first ever attempt at a DIY tank. I did quite well the only things I didn't make were the return pump and the light fixture. I accually built a return pump that flowed around 1200 gph, but didn't use it because I didn't have faith in its "reliability." The 1/4 inch glass works fine for that size as the total height is 20 inches and there are 2 3 inch braces (top and bottem) so the exposed glass is only 16 inch x 48 inch. It's the height and not width or length that put the most water pressure on the glass.
I found all materials locally in nanaimo Home Depot for shop light fixture, fiberglass resin, silicon, wood ect, the glass I got from Ecowood Bladerunners off northfield road. It's all recycled glass and it cost me $5 for it all. Bought the gravel at Freisen Rentals for $5 too. The total cost (minus fish) was about $200. That's not bad for a 137 gallon eh?

Anyway, now I'm in the planning phase for my reef tank and I'll be building that from scratch too.

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey Scavenger! Welcome to Canreef. Good to see some more island people here :mrgreen:

Thanks for the welcome christyf5!! I hope to meet some of the local reef keepers. I saw your website and it looks like you have a very nice setup there, congratulations! Perhaps I could call on you for advise when I set up my first ever reef in the new year?? It would be nice to have some local non-LFS advise as I wade into uncharted waters. (pun intended! :mrgreen: )

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Oh ya TommDool here's a link you might find very interesting for when you make your tank.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.athiel.com%2Flib 6%2Ftank.htm

TommDool
11-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Ya that was the first plans I saw at GARF. That is wat I was going to build. Will the resin last, I thought that fiberglass is not 100% waterprof and will leak over time.

Did you just put the resin over the plywood, or did you use fiberglass sheets as well?

TommDool
11-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Question for all you Nanaimo people, where do you get your supllies from. Anyone have a good cheap source for sand?

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Ya that was the first plans I saw at GARF. That is wat I was going to build. Will the resin last, I thought that fiberglass is not 100% waterprof and will leak over time.

Did you just put the resin over the plywood, or did you use fiberglass sheets as well?

Some areas, corners and seams have matting with the resin, the rest of the surface has just resin. I did forget to mention, that I put a coat of Gel Coat on top of the resin. (whoops sorry) Anyway, what this is basically the same construction as a boat hull. gel coat ontop of fiberglass ontop of wood. This will last for quite some time. Some of those boats in the harbour have not had any hull work in years and they take a larger beating than your tank will and they are still floating! :razz:

TommDool
11-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Gel Coat? what is this and where did you get it, and How much? Do you have to find non toxic Gel Coat or is it all non toxic

Scavenger
11-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Gel Coat? what is this and where did you get it, and How much? Do you have to find non toxic Gel Coat or is it all non toxic Gel Coat is basically the "finish" paint you see on all fiberglass boat hulls. It can be polished to a high sheen. It's basically resin based paint as you use the same catalyst hardener as fiberglass. I don't know if there is toxic and non toxic versions, all I can tell you is I've only had 1 fish fatality that I could not identify the cause of death.