PDA

View Full Version : Need Calgarian Help

kimax
06-03-2010, 03:39 AM
So seeing all the hype about Calgary fish stores, my friend and I are taking the time to come down from Edmonton and check a bunch of them out. My question is, what would be the best plan of attack as far as which store to visit and in what order. I have read some previous threads on this topic so I am more concerned with what order you would do them in.

We are thinking we would like to see -

Red Coral
Gold's
Ocean City
Pisces
Riverfront

Thanks for your help!
Kelly

Wingin It
06-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Start at the North and work your way down...
Red Coral
Ocean City
Wai's
Pisces
Big Al's
Riverfront
Gold's
Elite

silentcivilian
06-03-2010, 04:06 AM
I shop at RC, Oceans and Wais.. they often get alot of the same shipments in.. I find RC seems to get more diversity. But really.. I suppose it comes down to what the next shipment has in store.. I was just in Oceans the other day, they had awesome fish selection, really weak invert selection.. and were re-setting up a tank for a big SPS shipment coming in soon. So, just hope you come in to town on the right day.. and every shop will have somthing good to offer. Worst part is.. there so many shops.. you will want to check out all of them, then go back and get what you want..

xtreme
06-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Start at the North and work your way down...

I would do the opposite. From your list I would go to pisces and riverfront first and end off at Red Coral since you will be least likely to buy livestock from your first couple stops and more likely to find something at the other three.

Big Tang
06-03-2010, 04:39 AM
When i go down i go to Calgary. I go to pieces then Big Al's ,Gold's, elite Wai's ,Ocean City then finally Red Coral . Gold's and Ocean City have the best price on fish IMO. Red Coral always has some nice frags.I always spend more then i intend way more .Hope this helps

Bloodasp
06-03-2010, 04:46 AM
I'd go with wignin it if you wanna visit all those shops with the least amount of time. But if you want to look at or buy the best livestock red coral, ocean city and gold's would be the go to places. Wai's is good too but I've only gone there once so I can't say much.

outacontrol
06-03-2010, 04:47 AM
When i go down i go to Calgary. I go to pieces then Big Al's ,Gold's, elite Wai's ,Ocean City then finally Red Coral . Gold's and Ocean City have the best price on fish IMO. Red Coral always has some nice frags.I always spend more then i intend way more .Hope this helps

+ 1 there is too many stores to waste any time, skip riverfront, some how they managed to move to a new location and not improve at all.

fishytime
06-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Im slow......and lack time.....so I never get past RC:wink::mrgreen:

globaldesigns
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Personally I would only go to the following:

Red Coral (Kevin) - great place for coral and the odd fish that other LFS don't have

Gold's (Dennis) - Dennis in my opinion is now concentrating on fresh water more now, his saltwater stuff is lacking for the past while. But is a great place for staples and gear (great pricing) and if he has a fish you want, he is probably the best for acclimation of livestock and selling healthy fish.

Ocean City - decent, clean place

I don't recommend the others due to poor service, high pricing or poor stock. Buyer beware when dealing with specific LFS.

Have fun in Calgary!

Gaffer
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I would come into town and go to:

Red Coral
Ocean City
Wai's (If you like, the owner has never said a word to me and is too busy watching TV on his computer)
Gold's - Note that they are closed on Thursday
Elite

If you want to hit Pisces you can hit it on the way north to go back to Edmonton as it is a stone's throw from Deerfoot heading north. You can also go to Big Al's off Deerfoot North by taking 32nd ave and then go to Pisces by taking 19st north to McKnight.

I'd skip Riverfront. Their new location is 2 minutes from my office, and I still never so their. I dont know how they managed to keep the place as dumpy as the downtown location. At least downtown it seemed to fit in with the surroundings.

Andrew

Gaffer
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Im slow......and lack time.....so I never get past RC:wink::mrgreen:

I thought you lived there? :razz:

Andrew

RCFA
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd skip Pisces and Riverfront for sure. Not worth the time at all. Your time will be much better spent at the other stores listed!

kimax
06-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Thanks for everyones help! We now have a much better idea of how to navigate from store to store and which ones are for sure hits and misses.

Thanks again,

Kelly