PDA

View Full Version : What is my clown doing?

lastlight
06-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I have a female Fire Clown in my 34g. The past few days she's been settling on the sand and then flipping her tail like crazy. She clears out little areas of sand like this until the glass is exposed. It's raining sand all over my corals. This is not an irritation issue...she looks fantastic and eats like a beast.

What's up with this? Anything I can do to stop it?!

Wingin It
06-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Sounds like she's aquascaping to her liking. Mine do it too. Good luck with stopping it. ;)

lastlight
06-03-2010, 03:05 AM
What type of clown do you have?

vaporize
06-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Sorry no way of stopping it once they pick their "home" spot, unless you can get them into an anemone and the anemone is somewhere off the sandbed. It's part of the cleaning the nest house cleaning thing.

Tomato complex, Clarkii complex and maroons are common with that. Fire clown is in the tomato complex (fyi)

Lance
06-03-2010, 03:11 AM
My Ocellaris do that all the time. Makes a hell of a mess!

lastlight
06-03-2010, 03:22 AM
She's doing this in multiple spots. Drives me crazy!

I'll be trying to catch her tomorrow and finding her a new home.

I was about to say my pair of Tomatos never did this in my old tank...then I remembered that was bare bottom lol.

globaldesigns
06-03-2010, 03:27 AM
My maroon clown does this, drives me crazy, as the sand storms haze up the tank and the darn thing has killed coral because of burying it.

My fish is soooooo stupid, it is now hosting to fuzzy mushrooms, then goes back to a open brain, then back and forth.

VFX
06-03-2010, 03:28 AM
My black & white percs have started doing the same thing.

I have little holes in the sand, about 3-4 inches wide, where they've tried to clean & dig all the way to the glass. As a result I'm having sand storms whenever they decide to clean their sandpits.

Nice to see they're comfortable enough to feel they can re-aquascape but a PITA for sure!

lorenz0
06-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Good luck with stopping it. ;)

isn't that the case with most relationships when the female is doing something that drives you nuts:lol:

just let her be, she will get bored. or chuck a nem in

lastlight
06-03-2010, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty sure a nem WOULD fix this issue. Tank's too small and I can't risk the nem wandering at this point. This tank is an experiment to see if I can keep sps before I upgrade.

Wingin It
06-03-2010, 03:55 AM
What type of clown do you have?

I have two Tomato Clowns ;)

If I didn't already have 'em i'd take yours, but alas, I do...lol

Lampshade
06-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Mine do that to my magfloat if i leave it in the corner by their home. Silly fish. Din't know what they where really doing till reading this, makes sense now. Thanks :D

SmallFry
06-03-2010, 04:36 AM
My Tomato does the same thing, the best thing I've found is to let him get on with it and work around it. If I move the sand back, he goes into overdrive to move it back to where he wants it. Personally I think he's trying to make some kind of point. :biggrin: