PDA

View Full Version : Coral Positioning

Wayne
06-03-2010, 02:55 AM
I have 2 Flower Pot Coral can I put them close together? Also I have Colony Polyp which are a little agressive and Mushrooms too... Wow how can any of these coexist in the real world! Everything will sting anything else.

I am wondering how far to keep these away from each other beacuse I am looking at getting some leathers :)

whatcaneyedo
06-03-2010, 03:44 AM
You didn't do any research before buying those did you? Do a search on Goniopora and Alveopora unless you know which one yours is.

Wayne
06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I did a little, how much is there to know. They are Goniopora Sp. I know there sting isn't that bad but do they sting there own kind?

whatcaneyedo
06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
"For currently unknown reasons, Goniopora have a long history of failing to survive in the aquarium, often going into a slow demise for no apparent reason. The novice aquarist often buys a Goniopora coral and then boasts about its "long-term" survival after 6 months. However, Goniopora frequently thrive for up to a year or more before declining. Typically, they gradually fail to expand their tentacles and eventually either waste away or "shut down" (the polyps no longer open). Often, brown jelly infections occur that rapidly destroy all of the coral's living tissue."

Aquarium Corals Selection, Husbandry and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman 2004

Wayne
06-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah I am aware that a year is about the max life for them. After that I probley wont be buying again. I will most likely get a stoney of some sort or if my mushrooms have taken off...

George
06-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I think you should return both goniopora back to the LFS. Let more experience people try their luck.

Chowder
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Wayne I read on RC in a thread that Goniopora should not be kept in the sand. Being kept in sand seems to promote the brown jelly issue. Other then that they should be spot fed cyclopeze and other small particulate foods daily for success. They are listed as dificult to keep.

Chris

blacknife
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
i put one in my tank one of the first corals in there..

lfs said it was an ok beginner coral, did not ask about my setup at all..

its not around any more.. the coral not the lfs. i wish it was it looked pretty

i got an alveoporia when i thought the goni was doing ok

its gone now too..
it was doing ok but was the first thing to die when my sump broke and things went haywire.

if your gonna keep it make sure your lights are up to spec and you find whatever kind of food that kind of goni actualy accepts.
the goni's that ora is keeping alive they don't even feed but they give enough light. mushrooms as you said you have do not need much light.

Wayne
06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry, i am an inexperinced reefist. But i do know what the perfect water conditions are and am able to maintain them with very minimal fluxuation. My corals are all very healthy looking and have had no issues with them eating. They are higher in the aquarium so they get as much light as my healthy maxima clam and the mushrooms and colony polyps are lower in my tank. The flower pots are not in the sand bed. I am sorry if this post is a little rude but i really dont appreciate being attacked, if anyone really wants to take them out of their home feel free to offer me the right price.

All i wanted to know was if the would sting each other. I am sorry if this question from a junior member suggests that i shouldnt have a marine aquarium i am sorry.

project37
06-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Wayne,

Give this a read:

http://www.athiel.com/lib5/goniopora2.htm

From what I read on there I would not recommend putting them close together. Seeing that they are hard to keep alive in an aqarium it would be best to keep them away from other corals so that you stand a better chance of survival. I do hope these work out for you as they are a very nice looking coral. I wish you all the best.

P.S. I have some mushrooms in my tank that are spreading like crazy. You are welcome to have a few if you like. If you do want a few just drop me a PM.

bkelly
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
isnt there something about closeness so they can support each other - they do better in pairs that way dont they - mine died though - same fate.

Wayne
06-04-2010, 04:12 AM
I went into my local fish store and talked with their "Reef Guy" and he recommended not putting them together, make sure (as a general rule) at least 4" apart at full extension.