PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Question

burtonboy
06-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Well im looking at buy a RO/DI system and wondering witch of the 2 would be better
First one is 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System with 150 GPD Water Saving Upgrade Kit from bulk reef supply
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems/standard-ro-di-systems/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html
or
Vertex Puratek Reverse Osmosis/Deionization (RO/DI) Filter - 100GPD
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-ro100di/Vertex+Puratek+Reverse+Osmosis+Deionization+%28RO+ DI%29+Filter+-+100GPD.html
Any input is greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Daniel

mike31154
06-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Depending on the quality (or lack thereof) of your source/tap water, you may be able to get by with a 4 stage RODI unit. I ordered a 4 stage from BWI in Ontario but they sent me a 5 stage unit designed to handle Chloramines. Mistake, who knows but I don't mind the extra stage even though it's not necessary since my water supplier uses chlorine, not chloramine so a single carbon block would have been sufficient. At some point I may replace the first carbon stage with another poly pre filter or just leave the housing empty for better flow to the membrane.

If you can get your hands on a TDS meter (handhelds are available cheap at WalMart or Can Tire these days) you can check your tap water TDS and get an idea of how elaborate to go with your RODI system. Might save a few dollars that way before ordering a 5 stage when a 4 stage may do the trick. My unit is a 75 gpd and I understand that the 75 gpd membranes provide a better rejection rate than the 100 gpd membranes. This translates to less load on your DI media and resulting savings in replacing that. DI media and RO membranes are the more costly replacement items in these systems, so any savings there are a good thing. I collect my waste water for use in the garden or around the house, so don't see the need for a water saving add on. I think that's simply a second 75 gpd membrane in series with the first. You'll need to have very good water pressure to run two membranes efficiently, so checking your water pressure with a guage is also a good move before making a purchase. You may need a booster pump to run a dual membrane system, which means additional cost and complexity.

BlueWorldAquatic
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
I recommend BWI also.

Ken - BWA

burtonboy
06-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks!
So something like this would probably just as good i know water in Winnipeg isn't that bad its pretty clean
http://bwiplumbing.com/index.php/aquariums-systems/ro-di-units/bwi-sr-4-stage-ro-di-75-gpd.html

mike31154
06-02-2010, 04:47 AM
That would be a good start, although I'd still recommend finding out a bit more about your source water (TDS and house pressure) before purchasing. Also recommend a dual TDS meter and pressure guage(s) as add on options. These will help determine when you need to change any of your filters. Pressure guages can be had locally (I used Princess Auto). Other options can always be purchased later as the need arises.

Rogue951
06-02-2010, 05:26 AM
I bought this unit http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ro-afd050/Aqua+FX+Dolphin+3+Stage+RO+%28Reverse+Osmosis%29+F ilter+-+50+GPD.html
2 years ago when Vancouver had a brown water problem. (it was an excuse to get one, my old one was a bare bones unit... crap...)

It's been fantastic, have yet to change the membrane, only the carbon and particulate filter.

Mind you Vancouver tap water shows 16ppm so there;s not a lot to remove to begin with.

It's the cheapest of the bunch, but I find the build quality to be more than adequate. it's hung on my wall in the laundry room, no problems.

Funky_Fish14
06-02-2010, 06:03 AM
PS. Incase you aren't sure how to find out... check your house water pressure on your water meter (which will be in your basement most likely where the water comes in through the floor(usually) or wall.

You should be able to google the average TDS in your city water (all the water params in fact) but a TDS meter is still a good idea to have especially if you want to monitor your R/O unit's output and condition etc...